Epilepsy

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Stormhand, Nov 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Stormhand

Stormhand Well-Known Member

I have had epilepsy almost all my life (since was I was 3) and as long as I can remember people have always degraded me, liek I am not as good as them.
    They don't say it forwardly, but its in the difference of how people treat me from the average joe.

Over teh year I have grown so sick of this, I believe that its one of the big culprits of my anger problems.

Then there is my friends, if it was not for them I would be alot worse of then what I am now, the most they do is keep an eye on me .

But back to my anger problems..aside from taking anger management class, is there anyway I can help myself with this?
    I think its one reason I can be so anti-social.

2. Robin

Robin Guest

Realise that some of the most important, powerful and influential people in history were blessed as their societies called it then with something special. As Sadeyes would no doubt advise, it only has as much power over you as you give it. Drop her a PM if you want :)

EDIT:
    Welcome to the site :)

3. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I suspect you overestimate the effect it has. It's easy to pin the blame on epilepsy for your personal problems, but they may very well stem from other sources. The epilepsy gives a nice target, but it's probably not the cause, and definitely isn't anything you can affect.

I don't believe there is a major stigma associated with epilepsy anymore. There is a lot of epilepsy in my family, and unless there's an actual seizure occuring, it's not even thought about [but the seizures themselves are scary for family and friends].

Indeed, as Robin pointed out, epilepsy was called by the Greeks, the "Sacred Disease".

4. Stormhand

Trust me with how I was raised, my seizures affected every aspect of my life.

Starting with my mom, she always kept an extra eye on me, that was understandable til after I was 12 and they got under control, I had to go to a specialty hospital in Virginia fro 3 months, and they prescribed my tegrital which is what I am taking today to control my seizures.

But back to my mom, I remember once around in my 20's when i was stilll living with her after high school (I hated that) I wanted to do somehting by myself as small as walking to the mall, which was just a few yards away by foot, I told her, she would always reply "you can't do that" which she replied to everything I said I was going to do by myself.

Then there was the other kids in school up through high school, just cause I had medical excuse not to attend gym, I was looked at differently.

Now a days my seizures are under good control.
    now say I wanted to get a job, for my own safety I would have to tell the person who interviews me about my seizures, I would get denied the job on account of my health cause they would not think I could handle the job.
    your right its not just cause of the seizures, its ignorance, but I would not have to deal with the ignorance if I did not have the disability in the first place.

I am telling you now, it affects every aspect of my life, cause of other ppls judgements:WTF:

5. mkandy

mkandy Member

Hang in there, it's tough to have something you have no control of. Friends don't see the epilepsy side of you, they do see you and who you are inside. Sometimes we feel that people see only the "faults" we have, but they truly don't. Now your friends may be concerned that if something happens when they are around, they won't know what to do, but if you open with them, they will be cool.

Moms always worry about their kids, that will never change. No matter how hard we try. You need to sit down and have a heart to heart, explain things and how you want your life to be as normal as possible with this disease. You take your meds, hopefully you wear a medical alert bracelet so if anything were to happen, you would not be delayed in treatment.

When getting a job, you may have to tell them this information, but you can explain that you are on medication to control the seizures and how long it's been since you had one. Maybe get a note from your doctor saying you are able to have a job, if they will fill something out for you.

The important thing in life is that you are happy with who you are. You are in control of you, no one else. Don't let what you think others are thinking, keep you from being who you truly are. Find that happiness inside and you will go far.

6. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

I don't have epilepsy, but I'm blind, and I can relate to a LOT of what you said about how people react or treat you. Growing up with a disability is frustrating, because people tend to look at you differently no matter what you do.

My PM box is always open if you want to talk or vent; venting might help to alleviate some of the anger.

7. Stormhand

I have tried to do this SO many times, its like I cannot get through to her, she always wants to see me and 12 years old and helpless.
    in the recent months I started walking around to places I need to go to or what ever reason if within distance, I run by her that I did that I did this, her first reaction ALWAYS is, you should of called me.

At times I think of how differently I would raise a kid in comparison to my parents, and thee is a whole lot of difference.

There is this thing called open mindedness which they both lacked, oh I could go on for so long, but I am going to end this before I start rambling and raise my stress lvl

8. Stormhand

Oh its sure can be very frustrating.
    I have tried so many avenues just to try to get a job or go to college, I recently tried going through the local state vocational rehabilitation, they told me acording to my records Imy seizures are not active and on account of that they cannot help me, due to new policies, I had a mind to call the governor's office and look into this, but if I did, chances are they would take my SSI away totally, which would make me have to move in with my mom, and I liek having my own place too much.

Also thanks, I can always use a friend to talk to.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.