Erasing Memories

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Sir_William, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sir_William

Sir_William Member

Scientists Erase Specific Memories in Mice

http://news.yahoo.com/s/hsn/20081022/hl_hsn/scientistserasespecificmemoriesinmice

Where do I sign up for this? :canadian:

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

hehe reminds me of the movie Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.

3. pit

pit Well-Known Member

It sounds neat, but unpleasant memories have a use. If you erased the memory of the first time you burned yourself on the stove, you would keep touching the stove and burning yourself.

Not only that, but we learn from bad memories. They make up who we are. And without bad memories, we would have no experience. We don't get wisdom from good memories, only pleasure. And yes, we learn from the good ones, too. But it's the bad memories that give us our character. They sharpen our nature.

Traumatic memories, on the other hand, are a different story. For example, if you almost drowned as a kid, you would avoid the water as you grew up. Soon you find that this is limiting you as a person. Then it becomes sensible to take swimming lessons with the drowning memory already zapped from your mind.

Better yet, you can keep the drowning memory and learn what you did to get yourself in that situation so it will never happen again.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Exactly! :)

5. anonymous51

anonymous51 Staff Alumni

Sounds like a perfect tool for our government :dry:.

"you love the prime minister, you have no memory of ever opposing the prime minister. And if there is, you will be scheduled another 'mental evaluation' tommorow afternoon."

6. Snowman

Snowman Well-Known Member

:laugh: I was thinking of the movie as well.

7. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Thank god I will be dead before this becomes a reality. :sad: A perfect tool for even more abuse from the authorities. :sad: What a horrible world we live in... how anyone, even a rape victim, ever could find this to be a positive thing is completely beyond me...

8. xan

xan Chat Buddy

I can see it being a LONG LONG time before this becomes a reality, more likely to get mind controlled equipment in mass production first and mind reading devices... that's a scarier thought...

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

For once, we agree. This is chilling shit. Not necessarily the fact that it can possibly be done. I figure people can do almost anything if they set their minds to it. What's creepy is that they don't know better than to go there. Or even more creepy is the fact that they seem excited about it.

10. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I forgot to mention that the scientists should do the mice a favor and experiment on themselves.

11. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I wouldn't mind. The pain that didn't teach anything, except to despise the world and myself... I could do without it.

12. bleach

bleach Well-Known Member

Same here.

Sounds like a fine use of technology which can reduce the amount of suffering in the world and make this life a lot more bearable. Sure it has the potential to be used irresponsibly, but what have me made that doesn't? Else you go back to hunt/gather lifestyle, or you accept that technology will progress and improve our existence as it does. The accident of life could use much adjustment still.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.