Erasing memories

Discussion in 'Rape and Abuse' started by JTemplar, Aug 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JTemplar

JTemplar Member

I keep having recurring memories of all the bad things that have happened, mostly of the abuse during childhood, sometimes when I start remembering being physically abused my body cringes and a feeling like pain, their is no way to stop the thoughts, how can I erase these memories? killing off brain cells with alcohol etc only seems to wreck havoc on the short term memory.
    Psychologists, Psychiatrists and medications aren't effective.
  2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

I don't have any idea, I'm not sure there is a way, honestly. If you find one, please let me know. You're not alone. :hug:

ODIECOM Well-Known Member

not knowing how long ago the past was for you makes it somewhat difficult however, it depends alot on how you feel about yourself at this stage of your life. many ppl place the blame on themselves and not the abuser.
    when that happens, everything from self esteem and worth go out the door. you have none. therefore, you do not have the ability to release yourself from the bondage that holds you.

some folks are simply so broken they cant see past "the past"
    i drank and everything else, not to forget the past because all it did was make it more intense.

is it anger, hatred, self loathing that you feel now ?
    what happened makes a differance as well.
    to answer your question, no .. the past will always be there, we can choose to make them healing scars or live with them and let them rot inside us.

can you tell alittle bit more about what kinda pain >
  4. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

I wish there were a way to erase memories. It would make it so much easier to move and forget the pain, there is so much we would all like to forget, but we just can’t. There are things that we can do to make the past more bearable but it is no easy journey. Just let it all out, don’t be ashamed and confront it all. I am always here to listen :hug:

5. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Keeping yourself so busy helps as that way you stay in the present more
    If you are overwhelmed with thoughts the only way to get them to stop is to get professional help who will help you sort out what is happening a nd how to deal with the thoughts and pain.
    Memories are there for a reason to teach us things to keep us safe
    I hope you can get professional help because up to now i too just want everything to just disappear and the only way for this to happen was to keep it at bay by just keeping my mind so busy it didn't have a chance to think but you get worn out and sick doing it this way.
  6. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

unfortunately there is no way to forget.But there is areason why so many adhere to the belief in forgiving..but never forgetting.Because when we forgive others..we are really telling ourselves it is ok now to move on.It sucks to feel pain from memories and none of escapes that..but you gain a certain peace of mind when you forgive.It is something we all need to do..and not just forgive others but ourselves.It is all I know as far as this is concerned.:sad:
  7. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

I understand exactly what you mean, in my mind at night, its like i replay the worst bits over and over again.
    each night its a different memory, each night a diffrent pain and a diffrent feeling but its all the same deep down.
    the only thing ive got is that when i wake up in the morning i can put it behind me and move on.
    thats the problem though, each dream I have seems so real, so alive inside that its like its happening all over again.

its like im abused every night of my life and theres just no escape.

I awake> I smile> I move on> I dream> I hurt
  8. Songie

Songie Well-Known Member

Honestly, there really isnt a way to get rid of the memories of abuse. But eventually they get easier to deal with, as you accept that it happened and learn to live with yourself. Or at least thats how it was with me. But, unfortunately, they will always be there. The only thing that changes is how it affects you.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.