Esperanto

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Xaos, Apr 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Famous peoples quotes about Esperanto:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13hLLF1KEjZncu7rB-CP0hShRWRhz9hoS6S9I6KKrrMw/edit?pli=1

I'd happily learn it if it was in more widespread use, it isn't the perfect compromise for a world language as it has a Eurocentric bias, with little to no influence from the Islamic languages, the Indian subcontinents or East Asias, but if every country which speaks a European language learned Esperanto, we could have a much more unified world. Of course there will always be the naysayers, petty nationalists and such, but it would be nice to have a more neutral language to unite the world. As it stands, English is the language of the world, and I have no problem with that being a native English speaker, but I imagine that many non-native English speakers who support internationalism would find Esperanto a more satisfying solution.

2. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

To add to what I just said, you could argue that English is already something of a compromise, seeing as it has Germanic, French and Latin, aswell as a small proportion of other languages influencing it, and thus it should be the world language...

See the pie chart:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/English_language#Word_origins

3. youRprecious!

youRprecious! Antiquities Friend

but with the internet's translating expertise now available, I think this was more yesterday's idea. It depends on what we need to give up to achieve "unification" - Viva la differences is what I say, it makes the world more colourful and interesting - why should humanity all try to be the same, talk the same..... think the same?

4. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

Personally, I'd just like to be able to travel the world without feeling like an asshole expecting every1 to speak English cause it's impractical to learn every language of the countries you visit... I'm not saying every1 should be the same, just linguistically...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.