Euthanasia for depressed people

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Shogun, Aug 15, 2008.

?

Should euthanasia be made available for severely depressed people?

1. Yes for all that are depressed and want a way out

24.5%
  2. Yes, BUT strict laws and rules should be in place

18.9%
  3. Maybe, BUT after all other options have been exhausted

22.6%
  4. I don't know

9.4%
  5. No

20.8%
  6. Absolutely not! What a ridiculous question!

3.8%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

First off, I'm fully aware that this question is pointless and will never become an issue. But it'll be interesting to see what you guys think about it and it's something new to debate anyway.

Currently, euthanasia is for terminally ill people and it's only available in certain places and countries.

My question is this, do you think euthanasia for severely depressed people should be considered?

Obviously there should be laws and rules restricting young emo's and people whose problems can be easily fixed from seeking this option. But what about people who have been severely depressed for over a 5 year period and show no signs of improving? Or should they just be left to suffer the torment of life for the rest of their miserable existence?

I'll add a poll. In my personal opinion, anyone that votes no has never been as rock bottom on the depression scale as I have. But you're free to vote how you please.

(Apologies if this has already been discussed)

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 15, 2008
  2. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

May I ask what you're basing that statement on?

3. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

On my personal opinion?

As far as I'm concerned life is absolutely pointless and the suffering is too intense, there is no way I can be helped/saved. So why continue on? What's the point? If you had been as rock bottom as I am, you'd realize that life is too painful to continue living like this, rendering euthanasia a viable option.

But that's just my own opinion, it's not exactly a "statement."

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

Hmm. Okay, I don't necessarily agree that euthanasia should be an option for anyone other than terminally ill people who are in pain, but I can see the attraction to euthanasia for someone who thinks life won't ever get better. I just don't think euthanasia should be available for depressed people because you can't possibly know that life will always be awful, or whatever, even though it does seem like that a lot of the time when you're depressed. No one can give you a point to life, you have to find that yourself. But yeah, I was just asking, though it may have been worded poorly.

5. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

That's fine, you're entitled to your opinion. :)

But what if there was a waiting list in place? Say if there was a law/rule to say that you cannot under any circumstances seek this option on a wim. You must give it some time (say a two year period) and if you still feel as rock bottom and suicidal after that time, then you can go ahead with your planned euthanasia?

One of the reasons I bring this up is because I am 28 now and have been agoraphobic, suicidally depressed and have had major BDD for over 10 years now and none of it has even come close subsiding. What about people in my position? Life will never change for me, so what's the point in wasting resources, housing, benefits, tax payers money on keeping me alive when I'm nothing but a drain on society and I want out anyway?

6. AlexDanish

AlexDanish Account Closed

It would be too difficult to police, really. And circumstances certainly change for alot of people. Say you're on a waiting list for 24 months, and halfway through you're not depressed. But then, when you can apply for that Euthanasia you happen to be depressed again, you could get it.

But oh, what if there is this rule, and that rule? Which gets to my point; there would be too much controversy and red tape. And what if your family says "No, you should go to a therapist/a hopsital/whatever."

There's too many "What Ifs" and other things that enter into the equasion.

7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

Yes... People can make their own decisions. Every intelligent person knows how to choose. If offered the option of euthanasia one should think it over and choose wisely.

Euthanasia should be regulated but still accessible.

8. unbearable

unbearable Well-Known Member

Im kind of split on this one I suppose, I often have thoughts that i wish a lorry would crash into my car i.e help me out of life, I get angry with over the counter medicines being made safer to stop suicidal people and just the whole 'policing' that goes on, were the only ones that have to live our lives and its our right to choose not to live them if we dont want.

However,
    I think 5 years out of a possible (average 70-90? dont know the exact statistics myself) for natural life is a little small, I would be tempted to up it a little more, but thats just looking at it statistically, just one day severely depressed is one day to much isnt it, its beyond unbearable, im just undecided on it.
    what about people who havent just got severe depression though if your talking mental health, what about people who are very high one minute and seriously low the next? times they seriously want to die but would it be refused to them because its not consistent?

if someone decides to die than its their right, But on the other side mental health problems affects your thoughts greatly so i suppose people could argue that your not in your 'right state of mind'

I voted maybe becase im more on the side that people have the right to decide, if the option was open i would have taken it years ago, and a few years on i still would support that option had I taken it.

9. Random

Random Well-Known Member

It doesn't really matter, does it? People who are really ready to go will go whether the state says it's OK or not. All making it official would do would be to make it essentially painless.

I suppose a lot of lives are saved by the fact that suicide isn't all that easy.

10. galalleni

galalleni Well-Known Member

I once asked on a economic forum (on yahoo) whether or not suicide was beneficial/detrimental. The responses I got were that it is better for people with a long history of depression (not working, gvt. assistance, etc.) to commit suicide in the scope of macroeconomics (on a national level it would save billions of $USD annually, not handing out assistance, more productive labor force, etc.) - on the other hand for the depressed person the most beneficial thing to do is attempt suicide and fail because they get more help and economic assistance on the microeconomic scale.

I of course don't support suicide (or attempts) for anyone who is depressed - as they can always become an asset to society once they are stable (on meds or in counseling). Purely from an economic standpoint though it's beneficial to either get better or complete suicide - so from that standpoint I'd say make euthanasia booths for the chronicaly depressed.

11. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

It's difficult as some people who have been long term depressed still DO get better and live meaningful lives. Yet I've long believed that those who fit certain criteria should be allowed euthanasia in return for the harvesting of their organs for those who want to live but are ill. Seems like a fair trade to me!

12. rojomi

rojomi Banned Member

who decides? strict laws etc.-it should b up to the person sometimes. as with abortion & the death penalty, a double edged sword. no analogy intended.

13. noplacetogo

noplacetogo Well-Known Member

I think there are a lot of good points made here. I voted top most yes. I think it should be readily available for anyone who needs it. There is always a chance that life will get better. It's just a fact of life. Life gets better, worse, better, worse and so on and so forth. But I don't think the prospect of life getting better or worse should bear so much influence on the here and now. That's all we have is right now. There is no tommorrow. Only yesterday and today. So if someone feels it's their time to die today, I think it should be a safe and painless death supported by taxpayers. I do think there should be an age limit though. I would put it at 30 for men and women. So anyone 30 and over who wants to die has the right to do so at any time.
    oops, just read the poll choices again, I guess I should've voted 2nd yes:S

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  14. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Definately not. There ARE meds that make you happy. And I'm not talking about some garbage anti depressants.

I think if you have to have xanax or hydrocodone to be happy, well that is much better than youthanization.

Unfortunately, it seems many Docs would rather you suicide than be on an addictive med.

I know personally I would probly rather kill myself than be dead sober. I mean I understand that we can't have a society of drugaddicts. But still, when you are having a mental breakdown to the point you feel suicide is a justified option, then you should be able to get some relief.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 19, 2008
  15. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Life may be pointless but why does that have to coincide with suffering? If we truely realized that life was pointless, we would not be suffering. We all have our different reasons for wanting to die, but I think if a person really internalizes that pointlessness and silliness of it all, you become a little lighter, and a little more free.

But as for the original question, I think it should be allowed. People could be suffering more than I, and who am I to judge?

16. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I disagree. Meds can't MAKE you happy. It's a choice. Maybe meds can boost your mood, and you might feel better and become happier, but it's still a choice. You could be miserable with all the drugs in the world.

17. Austere Night

Austere Night Well-Known Member

It's my life. I should be free to do with it what I please, regardless of whether I wish to end it or not.

18. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

I said no. Even though at times I really, really wish that there was a way out like that available.

I suppose I say it because depression, by definition, is formed of a distorted view of the world where the negatives are seen as infinitely more important than the positives (and yes, I know too well that the negatives seem to be all in a persons life, even when looking at things logically, but there are always positives when you look hard enough). In order for a terminally ill person to qualify for euthanasia they have to prove that they are making a reasoned decision based on all of the evidence, and are not acting rashly. I can't see how this requirement could be met by a depressed person, and it's so important when it's a life/death situation.

19. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

Sounds like the recipe to a very lucrative business in many parts of the world.

20. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

Yes.

But only for people, which are severly depressed for at least decade or 2 and have gone throught all option (medication, schrinks...)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.