euthanisa opinions

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by desperate, Jul 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. desperate

desperate Member

I would like to ask you to share your thoughts with me. I was searching on the net and found a blog about a 34-year old man who is disabled. He had a car accident a few years ago, has gone through many ops without success. He is in pain, he cannot do anything he is paralysed from the neck down.He has been in the care of his aunt for years. He is planning to commit suicide with the aid of one of his friends. He has created this blog to have a look into his life, not into his present life but rather good memories from childhood etc. It caused a big stir in my country as assisting in a suicide is a crime. What do you think?

2. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

This is a hard topic for most people. I think that people should have the same option as animals and be humanly euthanized. But other people don't think it is right.

3. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I watched the movie,Its My Life,with Richard Dreyfus,about this very subject.It showed poignantly both sides of the debate.Ultimately ,he was allowed to die with dignity because he proved he was of right mind and that he would have no quality of life.I think it should be rarely allowed and only through professional means ..not a friend helping to do it.Most people who think they will have no quality of life are simply wrong and the few who should be allowed this option should have to prove their case intensively.It's a slippery slope.

4. shades

shades Staff Alumni

In situations like this, it should be allowed...no question! In the U.S., there are now a few states which allow doctor assisted suicide, but I do not have the details. Maybe someone can LINK THE CASE that just occurred in Switzerland, where a couple from England was allowed access to doctor assisted suicide. He was blind and deaf, I believe and I think the woman had alzheimer's.

5. *dilligaf*

*dilligaf* Staff Alumni

Is This the one you mean? :smile:

6. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

I actually did a thesis paper on this and I took a pro stance on it. Focused on Jack Kavorkian and what not especially because he lives near me this topic kinda hit home.

What it all boils down to is how much control does the government have and how many morals can one group of people try to impose, or not impose, on another group of people.

Christians have a mindset, it's not a bad thing, but they believe that people are all God's children and that we, as people, don't have the right to take our own life away because it's not our life. The government tries to overly protect people and they sometimes take it to an extreme. We must protect all our citizens so under NO circumstance are they allowed to die...at all.

Euthanasia is a touchy topic. I'm for it. A person is in control of their life, and when it boils down to it, we are all humans. No matter how much authority someone has, or how much people THINK they can tell us what to do... we are all human. Who are you to tell me I can't take my own life? Who am I to tell you you can't? If a person is in pain, they have the right to be humanely put down. Dogs can be put down, humans are animals too, so if they can choose to die why should they not be able to?

That's just my opinion.

7. touglytobeloved

touglytobeloved Well-Known Member

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  8. thepainwithin

Ah yea, assisted suicide - euthanasia; they tie into eachother a lot. Most of the time euthanasias are performed they are by means of a doctor, which people consider to be assisted suicide, but it's really the same exact thing as euthanizing a pet. I dunno. I'm still in support of both. The OP made it sound like his or her friend is actively seeking out means of assisted suicide.

9. touglytobeloved

Christians: our life is not our life? is it god's life?

Government: to protect and HELP the people. And sometimes thats the way to help someone , to help him end his pain.

10. ozinuk

ozinuk Well-Known Member

A person should have the right to die when she or he chooses, nobody has the right to dictate how long someone should live. If I choose to die it is a choice I make for my own reasons not for reasons the government wants. They are public servants hence there to serve the public. I pay them not the other way round. I will gladly live by the rules of the land but when it comes to my death I should have that right. If I choose to go to hospital to have a face lift or any other ELECTIVE surgery and pay for it that is ok, if I want to take my dog who is suffering to a vet to be put to sleep that too is ok BUT I cannot go and ask to be euthanised be cause I too am in pain WHY because any government that allowed this to happen would be bought down by the church who believe all life is sacred OH REALLY I just walked down stairs and I found my soon to be ex family sitting there no church congregation offering to help my soon to be ex wife deal with me. PLEASE LET US CHOOSE to die with dignity instead of rotting away in some hospital keeping life sacred.:argh:

11. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

I for one support both Passive and Active Euthanasia and have been a member of a "right to die" organization for sometime. I believe that the man the OP is speaking about is a case of Active Euthanasia. To share a bit of my thoughts and what I know...

In the USA Passive Suicide - withhold/remove CRP, ventilators, feeding tubes is basically accepted and legal although this matter is simplified a great deal by a DPAHC. I am not sure how various religious groups feel about this but a few members of the organization I belong to were Catholics and their deaths were Passive Suicides but this a few individuals that may have been acting against doctrine. I think that most people support this way of dying as do many other countries.

Active Euthanasia (commonly referred to as "assisted suicide") is the one that is so hotly debated. I believe that this should be allowed as well. Of course nobody can stop a person from committing suicide but are others allowed to assist legally or would this be murder.

Active Euthanasia leads to two questions. Who is allowed to assist? Who "qualifies" for assistance?

I believe a doctor should be the only one allowed to assist -for safety reasons mainly.

As far as who qualifies I myself am not completely decided. I don't believe your condition has to be terminal, nor does the organization I belong to. I believe that every reasonable attempt should be made to improve the quality of life. And I believe, as does the organization I'm a member of, that age is only relevant in the case of minors - the youngest I am aware of is 22 so advanced age is not essential.

It often comes down to a question of quality of life which is subjective of course. This is where the door is opened for those suffering from mental illness to be considered. Surely there are cases where the quality of life is just as bad as one in the final stages of cancer but is this person of sound mind? The law as it stands and is interpreted now in the US is they are not and therefore assistance is tantamount to murder. I advocate a committee of sorts, much like transplant committees, so that the subtleties of each case can be considered and the needs of the individual addressed.

To add food for thought there are many many times where doctors "allow" / "cause" a patients death by increasing the medication levels and the patient passes away as they bodies are so frail. It is considered Active and these doctors can and are sued.

I know there is much controversy over this whole matter but for me it is basically a straightforward concept that has emotional nuisances and subjective aspects that can be reasonably addressed and death with dignity permitted.

Desperate do you have an address for the man's blog?

12. ashes_away

ashes_away Well-Known Member

I agree about the quality of life factor.I am not familiar with a mental illness that
    would diminish quality of life so much that medication could not intervene and allow for the necessities of life like laughter,love,togetherness and fun..ever? Wow I would not want to have a mental illness that is so untreatable.:sad:

to ozinuk- no one can really prevent anyone from doing what they will when they are alone and on their own but that doesn't mean professional doctors should have to help either..except for aforementioned cases...there should not be a law legalizing professional help for suicide! Right to die with dignity as has been discussed is another whole situation.What you are advocating is something that this very website is designed to prevent.:unsure:

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 18, 2009
  13. ozinuk

ozinuk Well-Known Member

I fail to see the difference between Dying with Dignity and Euthanasia surely they are both about ending the suffering as painless and as dignifying as possible. I wonder how much suffering can be alleviated if Euthanasia was to become legal, we only have to look back at the suffering women endured when they had to go to back street abortion clinics as unpalatable as abortion is it's Euthanasia.

14. thepainwithin

I don't know if you're trying to dispute me, but after reading your words several times over I agree with what you and maybe I should clarify what I said a little more.

I believe in God but I'm not necesarily a devout Christian. As far as I know, in Christianity, any death that is self imposed or self-knowingly imposed is a sin, and you go to hell for it. Yes, our life, according to Christianity, is God's life and we do not have the power to end it short unless it is his will. I was using religion as an example, and Christianity is the religion I'm most familiar with and the most well known in America. I'm really trying to stay unbiased and not offend with religion, it's a touchy subject, I've been struggling with it for years.

As far as government, I have no problem arguing about the policies of the government. The government does not always do what's right. Period. In fact, if the U.S. government allowed the growth of hemp in this country then our oil crisis would be solved. Hemp is a fast growing, renewable resource that can be grown cheap, end hunger and end our dependence on foreign oil. That's just an example. As far as the governments stance on assisted suicide/euthanizing people? Only Oregon has legalized it, and California has come close. Sometimes the government has the interest of the public in mind and sometimes they don't. Governments are dirty know matter how you look at it, it's a sad but very real truth. As much as we would like to believe our government has our best interest at heart, there is really know way AT ALL to please everyone and most politicians do whatever will get them the most votes for the next political race. Euthanasia, abortion, gay rights and immigation...as much as we hear about them in the news, it's a sad truth, but these issues will most likely not be solved anytime soon, simply because not everyone can agree.

15. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

OZINUK There is not a difference between Dying with Dignity and Euthanasia.
    There is a difference between committing suicide, which anyone is free to do, and someone assisting someone commit suicide - also referred to as Active Euthanasia and
    Assisted Suicide and Murder(in most countries).

If I understand you correctly you think Active Euthanasia/Assisted Suicide should be legal and therefore no longer be considered murder. But does that mean anyone that wishes should be allowed?

16. touglytobeloved

And why not? Its my life, and if i choose to die, i should be alowed, same as if im sick and want to get antibiotics, doctors will give me. The only thing that should be considered here is that some people are not chronically suicidal, its just a period, and everyone should go through some tests before alowed and helped to die, if he pass the tests.

17. Reki

Reki Well-Known Member

I think if a person is of sound mind wants to end their life and their decision can be backed up by others it should be allowed. It seems like the general concensus is it should be a human right, it's your life and you should be able to do what you want with or to it. I agree for the most part but at the same time I think you also have to look at what would happen if euthanasia was made legal unconditionally. You'd have depressed teenagers all over the world walking into clinics and being put to sleep, heartbroken people, people in debt, rushing to a decision when, if given the time, their situations could change and they would be glad to be alive.

I'm for the idea as a whole but I think it needs to have restrictions placed on it to prevent chaos and save some people that need not die.

18. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Look above I am in total support-hell I am a member as you know touglytobeloved we've talked about it before and you even know the organization to which I belong.

OZINUK seemed to imply, or at least that is how I understood the post, that just anybody could walk in and demand a doctor to put them to death. If you see I asked what his/her criteria was.
    Like REIKI I think it there are conditions. And feel that a doctor needs to be involved to ensure that no further pain/agony occurs by a botched attempt, I have see several of those and they are truly sad cases.
    Reread my posts - I am in support and think you misunderstood, after all you know I am a member.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 19, 2009
  19. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

I am pro choice.. I think that it should be handled by a doctor. Not just somebody off the street.. I also think mental illness fits the criteria.. For some of us it is a life struggle.. For those with such physiacal ailments that cause seveere pain or poor quality of life then yes I agree..

20. touglytobeloved

I was just answering your question, i didnt misunderstood, and i know your opinion. I just told my opinion, that everyone should be alowed and helped.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.