Evaluation Appointment With A Group Of Psychiatrist

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Julia-C, May 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Julia-C

Julia-C Well-Known Member

I managed to get an appointment with (Business Name) Psychiatry this coming Tuesday. My understanding is that their team consists of 2 male and 2 female psychiatrists. I have been told to meet with them at 9am in the morning and plan on about a 2 hour evaluation meeting. I was told that I will spend about 20-30 minutes with each Dr. and this will help them and me determine if they are right for me and if I am comfortable with them.

I have begun to do my own research on these 4 Dr's. They are all Board Certified by the American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology. 1 male and 1 female are specifically trained in P.T.S.D. and adolescent trauma. The other 2 treat generally psychiatric disorders.

I am kind of freaking out and trying to come up with an excuse to cancel the appointment. I shouldn't be actively seeking an excuse to get out of this. My O.C.D. is confused right now. Normally when I start something I have to finish it or I feel like I have been hollowed out. I have one side of me who is trying to seek help, and the other side which is trying to run from it; both of them are being driven by an overwhelming urge to complete their task.

Does this mental struggle make any sense?

Does it seem normal to have an evaluation meeting like this?

2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Firstly, this is a brave and wise act...there is always fear of the unknown, especially when one can be asked about intimate parts of their lives...the diagnostic format they have developed sounds quite good...it allows you to see who would be the right fit for you and for they to do the same...cyber descriptions of a provider are never as good as a face to face meeting...if it would make you feel more comfortable, have a list of questions/issues prepared, that way you know you have presented what you feel you needed to, and yes, go...wanting to not go is normal, but knowing that you might receive the care you deserve is comforting...J

3. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

good for you!

i understand your anxiety. it's a big step.

the most important thing to know is do they do talk therapy as well as medication, or just diagnosis and medication management. nowadays many psychiatrists just do diagnosis and medication. sorry if you've already determined this.

expect to be asked lots of questions, your current issues, lifestyle, your childhood and upbringing, and so on.

but have plenty questions of your own. how long have they been doing this? what was their training? do they have a specific modality? are they comfortable working with you to develop a treatment plan? how often would you see them? if you google "interviewing a therapist" you will find many articles on how to select a good therapist.

i always believe in going for a few times, then trusting your gut instincts. if after 6 sessions or so something feels off, then seek another therapist. you want to be comfortable with them, and building trust takes time. you can't rush it but you should know after a few sessions if it's going to work or not.

i'll be thinking of you, and i hope it goes well.

do NOT cancel. you are very brave. good luck.

4. Julia-C

One part that is really freaking me out is the time I will be spending there Tuesday. It feels like it's going to be a 2 hour long "Judge Julia Session" (if that makes sense. I hope their format is a good one. To be honest I have no idea what so ever.

Well I have zero desire to be given chemical help (drugs) anyway. Still I think they are M.D.s as well. I think that's what you mean. I will give it several visits before I make a decision unless there is something that immediately seems off.

Thanks Sadeyes and C. for the advice. I will be putting together a list of questions. I will probably post them Monday and see if you guys or others think other questions should be added.

5. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Then turn around the narrative and see it as you judging them...will they have the privilege of treating you? If I can help with any preparation please PM me; I have been in treatment for what feels like a lifetime and would gladly process some of your concerns and how to express them...J

6. MoAnamCara

MoAnamCara SF Artist

I wish you the very best with this.

Try not to cancel, I understand the feeling of wanting to though. I had a panic attack at my first apt, and second too!

You are definitely in the drivers seat in this process, don't forget that. Just as they will be meeting you and asking you things, you will be meeting them also.

The success of a therapy connection predicts the success of therapy - its that important. As others have said, give it a few sessions and trust your gut.

Its a courageous thing to do, thoughts will be with you.

7. Julia-C

I will try to come up with something by Monday evening and send it to you for your suggestions. Thanks again.

Thank you. I'm gonna try not to back out. I am getting kind of determined at this point. I will try and trust my gut.

Thanks again everyone.

8. WildCherry

WildCherry Staff Member ADMIN

Just want to wish you good luck!!! What you're doing takes courage, but I think you're doing the right thing.

9. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

If I can help in any way, drop me a PM Julia :hug: good luck :)

10. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Wow way to go Julia i know it can seem overwhelming but they are there to help you not judge you hun. Go and see what doors can be open for you okay.
    You deserve the best hugs to you.

11. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

Way to go! Good luck with the appointment. :hug: Hope you'll let us know how it goes.

12. Julia-C

Thanks guys.

All of you are going to make me cry. I am so glad to have all of you backing me up in this and encouraging me to do this. "THANK YOU". :hug: to all of you.

13. *sparkle*

*sparkle* Staff Alumni

good luck and so proud of you :) you are so brave :hug:

14. lightbeam

lightbeam Antiquities Friend

Good luck Julia! We are rooting for you! Woohoo! :hug:

15. hollowvoice

hollowvoice Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

youre just growing stronger and stronger julia

the best of luck to you

after everything youve been through this will be a piece of cake right??

:hug:

16. Julia-C

Thank you again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.