Even those who aren't typically suicidal think about it

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Michael Ayin, Jul 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael Ayin

Michael Ayin Well-Known Member

I was thinking about a good friend the other day and how he lost a great job and didn't know how to recover. That same period he lost his brother to a heart attack to an unusually young age as well.

I've struggled with depression at various points in my my life, but I remember hearing him talking about killing himself near the end of his first unemployment extension running out. It was gutwrenching to even hear that, because he is not the type that normally talks like that. He did manage to secure a job (for much less money, however) and save his marriage and house.

Sometimes, I wonder what would have happened if everything had fell apart. I would have offered to take him in without question.

Even strong people can crack underneath enough pressure.
  2. absolution

absolution Forum Buddy

Im glad things are looking up for your friend. :)You said that "even strong people think about suicide". I dont think that just because someone is suicidal means they are weak... If that makes sense :unsure:

3. Absentimental

Absentimental Active Member

Like painfulmemories3 said, it indeed has nothing to do with weakness, but there are some people you just don't expect to fall to pieces.

I think we all have different tipping points that can set us off though, whether they seem trivial or literally life destroying, it can affect us just as much.

Your friend is very fortunate to have you to back him up if he needed it.
  4. Michael Ayin

It completely makes sense. I think our culture still has to come to grips with what makes people self-destruct. There are some people who live their entire lives with little inkling about how strong one has to be when nothing goes good nor matter what one does, and it lasts for years.

I honestly think that the compassion in our society has gone way down despite appearances, and that doesn't help, either.
  5. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I agree there is little compassion left in this world....
    and don't get me started on empathy.....
  6. Michael Ayin

Very true.
  7. Michael Ayin

It makes it worse for someone to reach out when in need. It's too cutthroat for me at times, I'll tell you that.

Sometimes, I wonder if I should have been born in a different time and societal climate that emphasized community above alienation and competition. But I'll never know for now I guess.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.