Even when good things happen, I feel bad.

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Clockwork Reality, Jun 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clockwork Reality

Clockwork Reality Well-Known Member

I just wanted to ask other people this; even when things are going your way, do you tend to still focus on the negative no matter how good things really are?

For example, today should have been a pretty good day. I got to sleep in, got a good breakfast for a change, received an awesome written evaluation at work, and managed to get an 80GB Playstation 3 with Metal Gear Solid 4, a game I've been looking forward to for some time.

But I had a fight with somebody at work today. He got into a huge shouting match, cussed me out, and hung up on me. In short, he was an asshole. I was calm and simply told my boss about it (this guy has been raising trouble for a long time). I'm not going to blow my top just because somebody else is.

But it's completely ruined my day. I can't concentrate on how I should be happy with my good evaluation or enjoy my new game. I'm just angry. Incredibly angry.

So does anybody else have this issue? You allow one thing that's bad to completely override everything positive? It's irrational, I know, but I can't seem to help it.

2. itmahanh

itmahanh Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

I know exactly what you are saying. And I've heard too many times it's the depression that makes everything seem so bad. Come on people who are you trying to kid? It's just me. Sorry didnt mean to rag on your thread but I wish just once the good things that happen in a day didnt have to fall to the side for the 1 bad thing that always seems to win out. Hope you were able to pull yourself back up and had a chance to enjoy that new system and game.

3. kittyD

kittyD Well-Known Member

I dont know why we view life in such a skewed manner. Logically, we should be able to roll with these kinds of punches by comparing the rest of our day/life to a minor upset. I try very hard to not give away my personal control to others by fixating on the situatuion, knowing that they've totally got past it helps me sometimes. While I spin and gnash my teeth, that other person is happily living their life, with out a thought of me and certainly don't know that they still have control over me. Often it works, rarely now I get spun over it.
    kD

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Yes I know how you feel. Except for me it's not that something comes along to ruin my day. I come along to ruin it :laugh:. All of those things that you said that would make a great day, I just wouldn't let it.

5. Melancholy

Melancholy Well-Known Member

Yup, agree totally. I find I don't let myself feel good about the good things, just because I don't deserve them, as it were. I suppose it's perfectly fine to get angry about the argument, but it's about knowing when (and how!) to get yourself out of that when you feel enough is enough. Try going for a run, or doing something physical to get that anger out of your system so that it doesn't ruin the rest of your day.

Take care

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

But you do deserve them. We all do. Every one of us here.
    :hug:

7. BioHomocide

BioHomocide Well-Known Member

I am a pessimistic person... it's a huge part of my personality. I do like the good things that happen occasionally but I also understand that the "good" experiences never last long before you encounter "bad" experiences. I will always be expecting the worse case scenario and I do take a lot of things for granted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.