Ever been 'caught' with emo cuts

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by DrowningInTears, Aug 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DrowningInTears

DrowningInTears Well-Known Member

My mom caught a brief glimpse of the emo cuts today. I was cutting myself earlier and forgot to put on a longsleeve shirt. 'what is that' she said. 'oh its nothing' i say as i hide the cuts. 'let me see it' 'oh its nothing' 'let me see it what is it' 'your not cutting yourself are you' 'no' i laughed. i told her it was just a scrape which must have been convincing... she let it alone after that.

almost busted lulz

2. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

why do you call it emo cutting? Cutting is serious and isn't about being emo. It's dangerous and the long term effects are even worse. I don't think there's anything to bust otu and laugh about personally.

3. DrowningInTears

wat should i call it if not emo cuts? srry if this is offensive? i cut myself like an emo. maybe its not about being emo . but i sure feel emo.

4. DrowningInTears

great ive done it agian ive got more ppl upset with me dont i :(

5. sophie_b

sophie_b Well-Known Member

i dont think its that hun i think its the steriotyping that may have annoyed people a litle is all. if you're a self harmer it doesnt mean your an emo however that is your own opinion. its understandable dont worry, if you'd like to chat add me :biggrin:
    x

6. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

your downplaying your self-harm, i understand that. Trivilising it as something "emo" makes it seem somehow easier to cope with? you feel stupid about it?

you might just have upset people with the terminology because people have heard it as a derogatory comment before. dony worry :hug:

7. Ignored

Ignored Staff Alumni

Being an old fogey, what does "emo" actually mean? I have a vague idea but would like a proper definition. Thanks!

8. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Emo means different things to different people as far as I can tell, to some it's simply short for 'emotional' and is an almost poetic, sensitive group of people in touch with their feelings, others see it as an attention seeking bunch of kids who scratch their arms for the fun of it and write 'emo' poetry and such, then of course you can just view it as a fashion genre, the whole skinny jeans belts round your arse hoodies crap. Generally it's used as an insult or a 'statement' that you're unique (despite being the same as all the other emos out there). All in all it depends on the context I guess:tongue:

It does no harm to call it emo cutting if you actually have a problem, it's when people just scratch themselves for the fun I think it gets a bit out of order =/

Drowningintears, instead of hiding it from your mum why don't you consider telling her? She may be able to help, you never know, and trust me you can't hide it forever. Parents get more pissed off if you don't tell them and they find out than if you just tell them outright. Stay safe ok

9. DrowningInTears

no i cant tell them

10. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Do you think they would have a bad reaction or something? They'll only want what's best for you, is there someone else you could confide in to help break the news? (I'm not suggesting you tell her if you feel uncomfortable btw it's just I'm sure you could use the support:unsure:).

11. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

Dit you weren't being offensive. As another poster said it's the stereotyping. I felt like you were generalizing everyone in one category. Like saying that if you're a cutter or a selfharmer then you're emo which is categorically not true.

Sorry for the confusion.

12. famous.last.words

famous.last.words Forum Buddy

maybe part of you wanted her to see?
    To not have to reach out for help, but to have the situation be taken out of your control.
    To have someone force you to try and get better.
    i dunno,.

13. Dana..

Dana.. Well-Known Member

i know you feel scared about telling her, beacause you don't want to upset her or make her scared.
    you could talk to a friend you trust or me :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.