Ever call a suicide hotline?

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by ilsa, Jan 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilsa

ilsa Member

The middle of the night is when I experience the strongest suicidal feelings, when I seriously think I'm going to snap, and it's terrifying. I feel so utterly alone with no one to talk to. I've been been spending pretty much every night for 2 months crying myself to sleep. Sometimes when I'd be up in the middle of the night with my head throbbing from crying so much, I feel like I should call one of those suicide hotlines. But I don't.... I don't know, I'd just feel guilty about bothering a stranger with my problems.

Did you ever feel a lot calmer after calling one of those 800 numbers?
  2. supermodel

supermodel Well-Known Member

I have. I called one when i was sixteen and this lady was able to convince me to take the phone to my mother and tell her how I was feeling.

It was helpful because it distracted me and she had me thinking about other things. The feelings didn't truly go away but talking to a hotline did take away the intensity.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Well if everyone thought that... they wouldn't even have those 800 numbers. Those people are there because they want to help. Don't be afraid of bothering them.

I've called once or twice. I felt calmer because I felt like they wouldn't let me kill myself is I was really honest. And I was honest. I don't think I went to the hospital either time after calling, but I did feel better.
  4. Chargette

Chargette Well-Known Member

I've called them. The man I talked to was very helpful.

5. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

It has been a long time but I have called them several times. Every single time I was met with such tremendous kindness and support I can not begin to tell you.
    Those people are often volunteers and truly give a damn so don't be hesitant to reach out at all. They are also very good at what they do so expect to get some quality help too.

don't forget SF is open 24/7 too, not the same as talking to a live body but we do care here very much and are here to support you.

6. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

I've called a couple times. To be perfectly honest, I didn't find it helpful at all. It feels fake and impersonal, like they're just reading from a list of prepared answers to common problems, none of which apply to me. There's just not enough of a connection with the person on the other end to make it effective.

That said, a lot of people seem to have been helped by calling a hotline during a crisis situation. And if someone is annoyed by getting calls from strangers at all hours of the night, then they're not the kind of person would volunteer at a suicide hotline in the first place. So I don't think you have anything to worry about. Give it a try.
  7. Bowling King

Bowling King Guest

Call them when you are hurting! They are truly kind and helpful. I have called them off and on for the past year. I have a similar problem to you-- I wake up in a panic and feel like killing myself.

One word of advice though-- dial *67 before you call the line. It will hide your phone number from them. They say it is confidential, but it turns out they keep records of who calls. I don't know what they do with them. I called today and was told I had already used my allotted calls for the month of January. Oddly I have only called them one other time this month and don't feel like I abuse them. I doubt I have called more than a handful of times in any given month and even go months without needing them.
  8. UnitExtant

UnitExtant Active Member

I've thought about calling but always came to the conclusion that it would be pointless since it's not easy to connect with a random person especially when you can't even see them face to face..
  9. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I have called them 3 times now and just hearing a voice on the other end help tremendously. They talk to me calm me down gave me some suggestions they listened okay they care. Call them it works
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.