Ever come close to death?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Darken, Feb 17, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darken

Darken Well-Known Member

I never have I think and I'd like to read others experiences. Have you ever came close to death? Examples, getting ran over by a car, shot, stabbed, beat up. Explain why it happened and what you felt then. I am more afraid of dying than death, cause there is so many brutal ways you can die.

2. Shiroi_Hana

Shiroi_Hana Well-Known Member

Hm, I had surgery when I was nine years old; nothing major, I had to have my eardrum repaired. But I don't know to this day if I dreamed it or imagined it: I had already been put on the anesthesia, and I remember trying to count back from ten like you do. Then I was crawling upward through this very dark tube, and it was quite difficult to do this, but at the very end was a blinding white light. I couldn't see anything else but the light, and I got closer and closer to it. Finally, I was right at the edge of the tunnel, about to put my hand into the light, when I remember being almost sucked back through the tunnel, like it was a giant vacuum of sorts. After that, there was nothing for a while, then I remember waking up in recovery. My parents have never mentioned having nearly lost me, and indeed I don't think the likelihood of me dying during such a relatively simple procedure is very high. But even though I was very young, I watched a LOT of television and had seen documentaries in which people described NDE's, and I always thought that what happened/what I thought happened was incredibly similar to their stories. To this day, I don't know.

3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

couple of times first was due to an overdose although i barely remember it, also just last year i was lamping (shooting at night) out of a landrover window on the marshes, we already bagged a couple of hares and several partridge, we were going between the fields at the edge of the marshes and did not see a small dyke which we hit as we were turning at considerable speed, the landrover went on nose end the started to flip and roll across the marshes, at this point my face went through the window screen and we continued to roll (from the marks we found we were 150 foot from were we tipped we must have rolled a lot) when i woke up the landrover was on its side and i had the rifle barrel jammed into my throat pointing up (thank god for the safety, really impresses the importance of gun safety!!! otherwise my brain would o been nowt but a pretty mess) firstly i turned around to see my lass at the time unconsciouss so i climbed out of the window screen which was smashed, dragged my lass out of the sun roof then my friend who was driving climbed out his window at the top, we walked home and got my lass cleaned up and checked for concussion (me bosses woman was a nurse thank god) we then got another land rover went down the marshes and tipped the landrover back onto its wheels and towed it away to another friends garage, it was a total write-off and once everything was done and everyone was safe the adrenaline that had kept me going stopped and i collapsed and had to be took to hospital and had many pieces of glass pulled from my skull, i was out cold for nearly 2 days! i was very lucky that night.
    The only other time i ca think of is when i was 10 some lads who had a grudge against me in the village threw me off a bridge which went over the river, i woke up on the stones with my head half submerged in the river, again i was very lucky, if i landed a few inches to the left i would have been dead.
    i think that you have a fear that is common, not necessarily death but the way in which you go is often the scariest part.

4. the_farewell_kid

the_farewell_kid Well-Known Member

Look up near-death experience and watch videos about it. They all said they saw a tunnel of light and was drawn to it and they saw their life from the beginning to the end and everything was communicated telepathically.

5. the fleet asleep

the fleet asleep Well-Known Member

when i was a teen, my appendix burst, and i didnt go to the hospital for a few days. from what i understand, by the time i was on the table, i was already going into septic shock, and my heart stopped not too long after. i got the paddles

honestly, i would never had known had my surgeon (the man to whom which i owe my life) not told me i had died on the table. in fact, it was the first thing he told me when i saw him later that night. i didnt see a tunnel, or lights. neither did i exit my body. it was just the nothing that comes with being unconscious

the brain is incredibly complex, and the nature of life is relatively unknown. while science says that near death experiences may be cause by neurons in your brain firing off at an increased speed, and in greater numbers from all parts of the brain (thus, the sensation of reliving your life slowly, as our perception of time is directly related to the speed in which the brain operates), we really have no way of proving it. same as we have no way of proving that this is the soul leaving the body. ot could be any number of things

what i can say, though, is that ive done some intensly dangerous psychotropic drugs, and have had many experiences that were much like what people say NDE's are like. on one occaision, the room i was in elongated into a tunnel, and a white light formed at the end of it. slowly the light became brighter and brighter until it had enveloped everything around me, and i lost consciousness. it was so intense that, when i came to, i assumed that i had died before realizing that i was just passed out on my floor. i remember a distinct sensation of peace during this experience. though, this may not explain what someone having a true NDE is experiencing, the remarkable similarities between the two had changed my opinion on NDE's on the whole.

6. justafool

justafool Well-Known Member

I had a near-death experience that is different from most others. Maybe it was a dream, but I don't think so.

At night, lying in bed, I was transported through a funnel, not a tunnel, and was taken to a beautiful tropical beach. I knew that I had died and was not sorry about it. On the beach, there were a couple of huge, magnificent lions. I knew they were untamed, but I knew that they would not hurt me.

When I came out of it, and was back in my bed, my mind was frozen blank and I could not form a single thought. It took a minute or so before my head cleared.

Maybe it was a mini-stroke or something.

7. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Me too.

8. plates

plates Well-Known Member

Yes lots of times.

9. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

I ODed on seroquel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.