Ever date someone which your parents don't approve?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by boo, Jan 29, 2010.

1. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Ever date someone whom your parents don't approve? Did it ever played a major role wheter you would date someone or not? What do you do when your parents don’t approve or feel that the person you love/dating is the right person for you? Do you respect their wishes and find someone who is welcome at home and around your family, or do you follow your heart and stay with the person you love and make sure your parents may never find out?
  2. Bambi

Bambi Well-Known Member

Take your pick:

1 - The rocker with long hair that was always borrowing my eyeliner.

2- The biker (D.D.) with FUCK OFF tattooed across his knuckles.

3 - The entertainment exec that went to college with my dad as he was 21 years older than I.

4 - The independently wealthy bull rider who was 26 years older than me.

I date the kind of guys that your mother warned you about.
  3. sammakko

sammakko Banned Member

Well... My mother does not like that vampire-hunk but always threat bring him home someday :laugh:
  4. Rayne

Rayne Well-Known Member

My mother would only object to me seeing somebody is they were abusing me, physically or mentally. As long as I'm being treated well, she doesn't care about someones age, style or.. anything, really.

I feel sorry for my friends. Their parents dissapprove of me because my hair is dyed purple but sort of mixed so its brown and just shows the purple when I'm in the light. I've only had.. two or three friends with parents that like me - god help the rest when they start bringing boyfriends home.

Edit: If my mother did happen to dissapprove of someone I was seeing, I would ignore her. My family have no say in who I see, as far as I'm concerned. If I loved someone, I wouldn't let anyone stop me from being with them.
  5. boo

boo Well-Known Member

Tough guys need love too... you got the Boo seal of approval :yay:

Wowza! Lela with purple hair... That's HOT :yikes:
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 29, 2010
  6. Avarice

Avarice Well-Known Member

I would ignore their opinion as it's not my parents who have to date the person - I do. I hardly ever introduce my boyfriends to my parents though so they don't really get a say in the matter anyway. =)
  7. cloud9

cloud9 Well-Known Member

Heh....my parents wouldn't approve of anyone that I dated. I'd have to keep my girlfriends a secret from them. There's just no way around this unfortunately:(
  8. Ferret

Ferret Well-Known Member

A date? What's that?

I have better chances of winning the lottery.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I believe it's a type of fruit. Pretty nasty too.

By the way, I haven't dated either... people find me intensely annoying for some unknown reason.
  10. closertolove

closertolove Well-Known Member

i don't typically bring guys home to meet my parents, but the few i have they've been perfectly nice to. it sucks when my mom can't keep her bias to herself, but they know that if i've made the effort to introduce them to someone i care about, than he's worth being nice to and worth having an open mind. even if they don't really care for them, they know that if he makes me happy, that's the ultimate point. it's when they start seeing me cry over him more than laughing with him then they get concerned
  11. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

The only person who ever dated me- my parents loved.
    Now that he's broken up with me- they say they hate him... but I know they only say that to try and make me feel better XD
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

The sad thing is my parents are so desperate for me to go out with anyone that I could probably take a goat round to meet them
  13. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

When I was 16 I dated a guy who was 28, married, and a alchoholic. You can imagine that my mom didnt like that guy. She didnt care much for him at any point but when she found out he was married (seperated from her because he thought her 3 kids werent his..which they werent as he found out later on) and lost his drivers liceance after like 3 duis - she hated him.. Honestly at that age it played a role in my dating him. At first it didnt - I was lonely and he asked me. Then I dated him because I liked him for some unknown reason. After he went back to jail I went out with him still to aggeravate my mom. But then I realized he wasnt going to change and I dumped him. I was only 16 but I knew I wanted someone more serious and he couldnt be that..
  14. NoGood

NoGood Well-Known Member

My parents approve of everyone ive introduced them to. My ex now is party of the family, he is called Uncle tomy niece. My parents trust in me and my decisions but im sure in the back of there heads they have been concerned about my choices. HAHA and they dont know the worst of them haha. If my parents wer to tell me that they didnt like the guy i was dating, it wouldnt be long before i was single again. Its huge pressure.

Ive been on the other foot though. My ex's parents didnt approve of me due to religion. It sucks. It really makes it hard on the relationship for everyone involved.
  15. TomT

TomT Active Member

Every person I've been with my dad hasn't approved of :poo: and it turned out he was right everytime :eek:hmy: Though he never said anything till after I'd broken up with them. Told him last time that if I ever get into a relationship again (unlikely) that he has to say something since his taste in women is so obviously much better than mine lol.
  16. Kris.T

Kris.T Well-Known Member

My parents hardly approve of my looks, I doub't they'd approve of the women I'm attracted to.

Fwiw, I've only had 1 mother be accepting of me. :laugh: