Ever had surgery?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by WhyMeWhy, Feb 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WhyMeWhy

WhyMeWhy Well-Known Member

I need info on any kind of surgery you may have had-not complete info-just basic knowledge of it.
    Do they normally put you under?
    When using "local" anesthetic do you feel any pain & what degree of pain did you experience?
    I'm going in for surgery soon. A needle is embeded deep within my hand, so deep I never knew until I had an x-ray done. At first there was no pain, but using my hand repeatedly during basic daily tasks seems to have driven it deeper, now my hand hurts like a bitch. The needle is not just under the surface of the skin.... it's in the middle of my hand somewhere. So it must be cut out now. I have no idea how small/big/long this needle is. Only one of 2 hospitals could be responsible for this major mistake. I fear that they will not put me under & it will be very painfull. :sad:

2. zetaf

zetaf Well-Known Member

I've had surgery more than once... just stay calm, be honest with the doctors about everything they ask (that means telling them what recreational drugs you do if they ask), and let them do what they gotta do. Their job is to make it as painless as possible, fix you up, and get you out safely. Worrying won't help anything. Think of this as an opportunity to get legal Vicodin haha. You'll be fine just be honest and calm throughout it. In some ways surgery is kinda nice, cause it's a legitimate excuse to not do anything productive and take a break from life.

3. ~PinkElephants~

~PinkElephants~ Senior member

My father just recently had his knee done under local. Basically they numbed him from his waist done and he was awake through the whole thing. From what he said he felt nothing at all and it took a good 2 hours before complete feeling came back into his hand.

I went under full anest. where they knock you out for gall bladder surgery and I remember nothing at all and felt nothing at all.

Hoipe that helped.

4. Spearmint

Spearmint Well-Known Member

I've never had surgery under local, but my parents have and it's the same thing as general..Just you aren't completely knocked out, but you can't feel anything.

5. WhyMeWhy

I do not shoot up, but fear they won't believe me. When they find that it's an IV needle from a hospital, they will accept no responsibility at all. They will say that I stole it or whatever & did this to myself..... they will claim that a "proffessional" would never make that kind of mistake. Then they'll give me nothing afterward for pain(I only wish they would). The doc that examined the X-ray gave me nothing for pain....... only a headache pill fioricet script. Because I went in for headaches and the needle was found by accident. He didn't care. No one will care and I will be to blame for everything. This is highly unfair! I'm in hell.

"Local anethstetic? What is this western europe? I want full sensory derivation & back up drugs!"

But this is no laughing matter. I feel doomed.

6. I have had several unsuccessful surgeries. They were awful.

7. smackh2o

smackh2o SF Supporter

I had my pre molars pulled out under local. That was kinda freaky. Didn't feel any pain but I was very aware that there should be some lol.
    Your best bet is to just relax about it and let it happen. They know what they are doing. For a needle in your hand they might give you a regional anesthetic where it numbs the entire region of your body, in this case your hand/arm/shoulder, so you won't feel any shooting pains.
    I've been under general for an oepration and there isn't much to worry about. Just a really nice sleep for most people.

8. WhyMeWhy

How encouraging BP! :laugh: But I'm getting painpills now just for the pain I'm going thru having a needle embeded in my hand. I'm optomistic now about how they wil.l leave me pain-free & maybe give me pills for my after-surgery pain. :) And mother is planning to contact lawyers regarding a lawsuit in this matter. I sure hope this pays off in the end.

9. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

I had surgery to have an appendix removed.

The anesthesia (sp?) knocked me right out, I don't remember the last couple of minutes before being placed under it and I didn't feel a thing. I imagine it's quite painful if I was awake.

You shouldn't worry about a thing. You'll feel alot better afterwards, too.

10. You deserve to be very nicely compensated. I hope that it happens for you.

11. Ruby

Ruby Well-Known Member

Hey, i've had my appendix out too. The surgery went well, it was the pain AFTER the operation that bothered me most. :laugh:

12. gtrfreak

gtrfreak Member

i just had a surgery in my left eye with local anesthetic and it was okay at first it hurt but after i told the doc it was hurting he just doubled the dosis and it stopped hurtin... it even felt kinda funny cos i didnt feel half my head

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.