Ever wanted to do something you knew was bad but would give you a temporary thrill?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TooShyToScream

You feel impulsive. You desperately seek to feed on some excitement, and you know that doing it will temporarily satisfy the hunger you feel. But only temporarily. In the long run, it'll make things a lot worse. You want to do it, but you know it's bad. And you know once you actually do it, you'll be in deep shit. You'll feel guilty and think, why did I to do this to myself? Why couldn't I just control it? Still, you want to do it so badly, and it's so hard to say no...

Meta

Re: Ever wanted to do something you knew was bad but would give you a temporary thril

I've hit a few people knowing it was a bad idea. Insulted some people I shouldn't. Even if the consequences are bad, it still feels satisying. If yoi hadn't hit the guy, you'd be wondering: what if I smacked him? The question of 'what if I hadn't smacked him' will lead to disappointment.

TooShyToScream

Re: Ever wanted to do something you knew was bad but would give you a temporary thril

I've hit a few people knowing it was a bad idea. Insulted some people I shouldn't. Even if the consequences are bad, it still feels satisying. If yoi hadn't hit the guy, you'd be wondering: what if I smacked him? The question of 'what if I hadn't smacked him' will lead to disappointment.
Well, this particular thing will not feel satisfying for more than about 5-10 minutes probably. Then it'll make me feel guilt, anxiety, and depression. Doesn't seem worth it when you think about it like that. But the impulsivity is killing me. I want to feel that 5-10 minute thrill, even if it's short lived.

gakky1

Well, this particular thing will not feel satisfying for more than about 5-10 minutes probably. Then it'll make me feel guilt, anxiety, and depression. Doesn't seem worth it when you think about it like that. But the impulsivity is killing me. I want to feel that 5-10 minute thrill, even if it's short lived.
Yeah, been there with both of you, have done it but really can't remember the exact situations, did have that thrill for a short while but the after effects were worse, still those few minutes were certainly gleeful.:yay: Sounds almost like some sort of drug addict or alcoholic, you feel good for that short amount of time but that hangover lasts a lot longer.:mhmm:

Monsieur

Yeah...all the time really. I have a bad habit with compulsively playing video games and using the internet to distract it seems. In the end, nothing is solved and I have virtually no time left in my day. Might not seem that hardcore but I always get a bad aftertaste anyways.

PandorasToybox

I have a impulse disorder so even if I know it's a bad idea, I'll probably do it anyways. I'm way more better than I was year ago, a lot more control now.

TooShyToScream

Well, I avoided doing this..."thing"...just ignored the cravings. The impulsivity, for the most part, has subsided. I would applaud myself, but it may come back....I've got all day.

Crue-K

I am always acting on impulse, regardless of other people's feelings. It has been my downfall in the past. I always do what I want, when I want. I suppose I am just selfish.

TooShyToScream

I am always acting on impulse, regardless of other people's feelings. It has been my downfall in the past. I always do what I want, when I want. I suppose I am just selfish.
1. We are all selfish to some extent.
2. Acting on impulse doesn't directly correlate to selfishness, but more so emotional immaturity and lack of control of one's emotions.

Meta

It's worth it. Putting up with the consequences is a small price compared to knowing you've acted well.

Last edited by a moderator:

i feel this way often. at least a couple of times a week.

i talk about it in therapy. my therapist says i need to learn to sit with the uncomfortable feeling that comes right before hand. sit with it and NOT panic. it's the panic that drives me into my compulsive behaviour. if i think about it i usually have been triggered in some way.

sometimes i succeed, sometimes i don't. but i keep trying.

good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00