Every time I try to get help things get worse

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by user.name, Dec 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. user.name

user.name New Member

I have anxiety problems that have ruined my life. All the "help" I ever got was drugs that I got addicted to. What am I supposed to do now? Not even my family wants to listen to me. I can't take the mind-numbing torture of this anxiety anymore.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Time to go get some help for your addictions then get off everythng and start over okay this time get proper help from therapist doctor a professional who will give you the proper coping skills and meds to help take away that anxiety
  3. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

any thing in your life that might feed your anxiety?
    I had anxiety and phobia but they are so different from one person to the other, but was just asking people how useful they find therapists and i dont think ive seen many people say they where helped with anxiety/phobia, see them get most help for childhood trauma, and PTSD.
    Sorry guess am not much help.
  4. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

What drugs did they put you on? You shouldn't have been put on anything addictive for anxiety, there's no need. There are drugs which aren't addictive which would help you.
    You need to learn some coping strategies instead. Give us more information about you (pm me if you don't want to do this on an open forum) and we can sort out strategies which will help you.
  5. gentlelady

gentlelady Staff Alumni

I agree that the best thing is for you to learn some valuable coping mechanisms. antianxiety meds can prove to be very helpful, but they must be used in moderation to get you through the roughest times, not the general anxieties you may have. Have you been to a therapist or counselor to try and learn some of the coping strategies that may best be suited for you? Many of the members here suffer from anxiety. They may be able to offer you some tricks as well. :hug:
  6. NoMoneyToPlease

NoMoneyToPlease Banned Member

Why don't you reply to me and say something completely silly and free..I will to you......As a three yer old child I would sit in the street of my rough neighbourd hood dressed as a cowboy,wearing large red and yellow spotty Elton John style plastic specs,sitting on a small red inflatable chair reading Disney's Seven Dwarfs books.Well not reading it,it had a plastic record on the front that i thought would play if i spun it around fast enough with my finger...I swear, at times I could hear Dopey and Happy,Bashful and all the rest of the crew laughing and singing as they dug for diamonds......

...Hi ho,hi ho,it's off to work we go.....

.......Tell me,tell everyone something silly about your self.This is a safe and free and anonymous environment in which to do such a thing. :)

If you want to that is,only if you want to. :)
  7. user.name

user.name New Member

I was put on benzos and amphetamines because the other drugs had too many side effects. I went cold turkey on these drugs but I replaced them with others. I've been to 4 or 5 psychiatrists and none of them could help me. People have tried to reach out to me but I always screw things up. I can barely communicate with people at all, even on the internet or the phone. I feel like I've lost my grip on reality. I have no friends and the last 6 years of my life are a blur. All my regrets flash through my mind every day and I can't move forward. I want to get back everything I let pass me by before it's too late but I don't know how. It's too hard to get help and too easy to use drugs to drop out of life.
  8. may71

may71 Well-Known Member

meditation helped me a lot with reducing anxiety. Also dietary changes. Oh, also the book below in my signature.
  9. CatherineC

CatherineC Staff Alumni

What????!!!! Who on earth put you on these for anxiety? What country are you in?

Why did you go cold turkey and what have you replaced them with? I'm sorry if this sounds like an intrusive question and you don't have to answer it if you don't want to. You could pm me if you'd rather discuss this in private.
    The advice and support you need would be influenced by the answer to this though. It sounds like you may have an addiction problem on top of your mental health concerns.

Why so many? Surely you'd have stood more of a chance of recovery if you'd built up a relationship with one? Have you ever been offered one of the 'talking therapies' and been seen by a psychologist instead of a psychiatrist?

Can you give us some idea of what diagnosis you've been given for your illness? How long have you been ill?
    You sound as though you're in a deep depression. You need to see a doctor as soon as possible.
    Each of your worries can be addressed. You can learn how 'not' to screw things up and also to realise that you're probably being too hard on yourself anyway. We all screw up all of the time but we also get things right all of the time. You're focusing only on the negative - a big sign of depression and you need to 'unlearn' that negative behaviour pattern.
    You can also learn communication skills and people skills. You can learn how to have friends.
    As you progress you'll find it's easier to 'get a grip on reality'. Deep depression always makes you feel like you've lost the plot and it's horrible to go through.
    The whole 'regrets and unable to move forward' thing is also part of the illness. Again you can 'unlearn' those behaviour patterns.
    Actually just about every point you made is part of depression and all of it can be addressed. It just has to happen slowly and you have to put the work in.
    I don't understand why you're having trouble getting help but I don't know what country you're in so can't advise you on that bit.
    Finally, and most importantly, it is too easy to get hold of drugs and drop out of life. Way too easy and very tempting. You can't do it though, and I think this may be a problem that you'll have to resolve before you can deal with the underlying issues.
    PM me anytime, sending hugs xxxxx
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.