Everyones inherent worth.

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by SadDude87, Jan 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Just thought I would share a thought that crossed my mind.

A lot of people here, myself included seem to feel they are worthless, better off dead etc. Yet on this board, there is such a great array of opinions on various issues - strong opinions I might add!

I feel that it is these opinions and values, which each living person holds that gives us an inherent worth. So long as we have our own unique views, we are worthwhile - and that the real challenge is to just express such views, in real life, with total honesty at all times.

This is obviously extremely hard for some, myself included, especially when such views are often not within the mainstream. But I genuinely feel that being able to express yourself with compete honesty is the key to happiness. I feel it is the foundation of any worthwhile relationship - this abilility to show your true colours without the fear of rejection, judgement or embarrassment. So basically so long as we can be ourselves and give real opinions as opposed to being robotic yes men, we are worthwhile. It is simply about learning to express them, no matter how odd they may seem, without fear. This is the key to contentment in my eyes.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  2. Crue-K

Crue-K Well-Known Member

You make a good point.

3. taranama

taranama Well-Known Member

thats a very interesting and valid point you have, thanks for posting it!

4. BlackPegasus

BlackPegasus Well-Known Member

What a brilliant post. You have many valid points.

As long as opinions aren't used to harm they should be expressed. Sometimes freedom of speach gets abused. The key doesn't just lie in expressing opinions, however. It also lies in allowing others to express their opinions and respecting that. There's a time and place for everything including expressing opinions. It's when people try to shove a viewpoint down the throats of others that it goes to far.

That being said being able to communicate honestly and express yourself is a big key in relationships. I've found every abusive/bad relationship I've been in romantic or otherwise has been from someone who is insecure in his/her own thoughts and beliefs. They either try to push an idea on you constantly rather than respecting you viewpoint or they never communicate at all. Part of what makes a relationship so amazing is that you can disagree on some things. Varying views have a way of making things stronger because it makes us rethink our viewpoint and encourages us to grow. At the end of the day both parties need to respect the thoughts and feelings of the other. If they can't do that then they don't belong together. if they feel the need to control and force the other person to comply then that's abuse, not love.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2008
  5. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

You make some great points here saddude. Great observations. It's ok to go against the norm, as long as you're not hurting anyone. I've never given a f.u.c.k about what people thought about me, and I've never been depressed either. Everyone is different and entitled to our own opinions. Having a strong sense of self worth is a good thing, as long as you don't get carried away and become narcissistic.

6. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

How do you do that ?

I just can't do it.

Even the slightest thing that people say or do scars me for a long time..

7. BlackPegasus

Honestly people can do hurtful things to us and it does hurt and yes sometimes it scars us. The only key I've found is to do things I love and things I do well and find my worth in that. To stay away from those who scar us as much as possible and surround ourselves with those who don't do hurtful things.

8. Dave_N

Dave_N Guest

I went to a comedy club on my birthday and I got completely ripped apart by a comedian. But I just played along with his insults, because I knew that I'm a better person than he is and he's just making his living, by insulting people. I don't know. I guess I'm good at shutting off my emotions?

9. BlackPegasus

Being able to laugh at one's self is a good thing. :) That's what comedy is about. I don't think being a comedian makes anyone less of a person. Then it depends on the comedian.

10. wanttodie

wanttodie Well-Known Member

props to you man..

11. SadDude87

SadDude87 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the positive responses.

This way of thinking has actually made me a lot happier. For quite some time I was extremely worried, because I based my self worth on superficial qualities.

Then I realised what is obvious to most - we should never base our worth on something superficial like physical appearance, what job we do, how much money we have etc. These attributes do not change what you know, what you can do and what you can offer.

This is all well and good, BUT what drove me into a deep depression was the next step. What if underneath we really DON'T have anything to offer? What if underneath, there is nothing of substance? What if, when we take away all our superficial qualities, the closer a person looks, the less there is to see? This is how I felt about myself for a long time.

Then, like I said in the OP, I realised EVERYONE does have something of value underneath to offer. And this is each individuals genuine opinions and values which have been created via unique experiences. There is nothing more amazing than the power of reason, and how each person applies it to themselevs in different ways. EVERY conscious being does this, and it is truely a remarkable thing. The sharing of these ideas, opinions and values is what allows genuine relationships to form, for us to grow as people, and for the human race to progress. And this makes each person worthwhile in their own way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.