Everything's Adding Up

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by cie, Nov 30, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cie

cie Banned Member

Hi everyone,

Been a while since I posted here but tonight I just feel like I need to.

So basically.. I studied 3D Animation in New Zealand, where I was born, raised, and have never left and have no way to leave. Upon completing the course our government changed and this one wont match incentives for films to be made in NZ that other countries offer, so the work has gone and I spent 2 years trying to find a job to no avail.

I've been on social welfare for 8 years now.. I don't know how much longer they'll keep me on it and I can't get work if they take me off. My financial situation is bad to say the least.

Recently my mental health care vaporized, they said I need independence from the services to move on with my life. And I was actually doing okay. But now not so much. They're going to transfer me to a government-funded private organization which seems fine. They don't have psychiatrists/doctors, though, so I have to get my medical certificates and meds from a GP. GP's do not understand my situation, and they can't comprehend it like a psychiatrist can.

My last medical certificate from 2 weeks ago said I had trouble concentrating and something else minor, with an old diagnosis put down because they didn't have my updated medical files. I'm fearing for the result of my re-application. My previous mental health team would of fought the outcome until they receded, this one wont lift a finger... and I'm not even listed with them yet, I'm on a waiting list.

I know if I work I'll be setting myself up to fail, there's no way I can handle the pressure. And not just that, if I work it will mean.. well, all the dead-end jobs are taken, there are no animation jobs, and I have no other qualifications, so I can't actually get one.. but if I did, it'd be crap, and I'd not make it at all. I need to REALLY motivate myself to go in each day.

So I want to study, being able to study depends on my re-application for supported living benefit (previously called invalids). I want to study because after I get over this thing (to say it lightly) I want a decent career. And because the only time my health EVER improved outside of medication and therapy is when I was studying, and I've hit a wall, I'll never get better if I don't do something and working is not an option.

But none of them understand it. Not my GP, *DEFINITELY NOT* the government, no one really. I'm at the end of my rope really, but my depression hasn't entirely come back so that's something - I can still think logically and see a way through it, but it's weighing me down so I wanted to talk about it.

There is the option of student allowance, but that gets $230/wk, minus what I owe the government from mandatory advanced bringing it down to about $215/wk, minus rent/expenses $205/wk, that's $10/wk for food.. not possible AT ALL.

Which means I'd have to study full-time and work part-time, which again, isn't possible for me in any way or form. I can't handle that at all.

Just really not sure what to do now. And it's several months until the course even starts so... I'm bored out of my mind, going crazy because I have no life.

Thanks for reading, look forward to your responses if there are any.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

10.00 dollars a week for food i have lived on that and it is possible but then i did not eat much just vegetables and pasta and potatoes no meats really

3. cie

cie Banned Member

This is $10 NZD.. it's even less than what I imagine you have in mind. I also need meat. :)

4. cie

cie Banned Member

For some reason they accepted the shoddy medical certificate. I think my GP called and clarified once he had my medical info. First hurdle down :)

5. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Glad something went well for you Cie :)

6. cie

cie Banned Member

Thanks NY

Got my student loan, enrolment, and other stuff sorted. Now I need to wait and see if they accept my 'above level university entrance' which they should. It says to choose that option if you hold a qualification higher than university entrance requirements that's relevant to your course. I just hope they consider my animation course relevant to computer science. Shouldn't be an issue.

So that's a good thing. Last thing to do is tell social welfare I'm studying and pray they keep me on supported living.

Downside to my current issues is nothing to do for Christmas, family is pretty much disbanded. Although that's also a good thing, last year left a really bad taste in my mouth and I'm sort of glad that it's just going to be another ordinary day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.