Evolution: a proof that there is no god?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by just.me, Jul 7, 2009.

At what stage did god created us (if at all)?

1. stage 1

3 vote(s)
  2. stage 2

0 vote(s)
  3. stage 3

0 vote(s)
  4. stage 4

0 vote(s)
  5. stage 5

1 vote(s)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. just.me

just.me Account Closed

The bible says were were made from gods image,
    evolution says that we came from the monkeys,
    while there are physical proofs that we came from the monkeys,
    there are no proofs at all about us been created by anyone at all.
    Yet if we were created by god, at what stage was it?
    was it when we were monkeys? if so does it mean that the monkeys
    we were means that god looks like a monkey? (as we were created from his image)
    or maybe we were created as who we are today,
    but then why do we have so much in common with monkeys?

Click Me!
  2. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

I always wonder why people look at the bible as proof of anything. If you believe why are you following a book you have to have been taught? I wouldn't say evolution is proof of anything besides that every life form now has somehow got "better" lol. I don't look at it as proof that god does or doesn't exist.
  3. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

I could see that you could present evolution as proof that we came from monkeys.
    But you cannot disprove God through evolution because God can't be proved or disproved.
    I believe in God but don't believe that he created humans. I don't believe he has a hand in anything we do in this universe during our "life". It's our game.
  4. killtomorrow

killtomorrow Well-Known Member

i dont really get the question but im an atheist anyhow
  5. just.me

just.me Account Closed

and why god cannot be proven or disproven?
    isnt it the bible which says that god created earth in 6 days
    and that man is created by god in god image and in the same shape
    we see oursalves today? if so then evolution says that the bible
    is wrong, and if the bible is wrong then there is no god
    as all the religion and the god behind it are all based on the bible (if you are christian)
  6. fromthatshow

There are Christians who don't follow the bible. There are people who believe in God who follow no religion. I guess this was a debate between the bible and evolution. And if you're debating between the bible and science, science will probably win because a lot of the bible doesn't make any sense.

But the bible has been proven wrong, like when it said the earth was the center of the universe and everything. So obviously the bible is not the ultimate truth. But does that mean there is no God? Maybe to some people. Not to me :)
  7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Actually the earth is at the center of the universe... In an infinite space every point is at the center. (Hey, I've just worked out why I never get invited to any parties!) The thing is that wouldn't be mentioned in the bible (not the party bit) because God would need to use language people would understand. He could have said "future generations shouldn't download music off the internet" but what would it have meant to anyone?
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 7, 2009
  8. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

Monkeys are probably created in Gods image. Be nice to the monkeys.
  9. fromthatshow

10. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

If the bible is wrong about one thing how does that mean the bible is wrong about everything? You have poor logic.
  11. just.me

just.me Account Closed

I dont say it is wrong about everything
    I say that is there is 1 mistake, there is a good possbility
    that there is a second and a third one too
    and considering the it is a holy book, writen by god or something like that
    so since when god makes mistakes?

And earth is not the center of the univarse
    to the guy who said it is:
    the center you are talking about is geometrical calculation formula
    used to massure speed in space compared to our planet
    its not saying that our planet is in the center....
    plus the bible says that the sun goes around earth
    which is yet another mistake
  12. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Why would God insult himself that way?

An insult to monkeys if there ever was one.
  13. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

There is Theistic Evolution, itself an umbrella term for various theories that compromise God's existence with evolution and nature.

Many people believe in Intelligent Design, the idea that God worked through nature - i.e. evolution - in order to create man. A slightly different theory holds that he does not interfere with the natural process of evolutioh, or that he kicked into gear to create man and since then has left nature alone.

There's a lot of different literature on the subject.
  14. reefer madness

reefer madness Account Closed

You didn't say a word about probabilities. You came to the conclusion as fact that there is no god because evolution says the bible is wrong about how man was created. Nice try changing what you said.

And god didn't write the bible.
  15. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

I think actually that most scientists actually accept that the universe isn't infinite. Not sure, but I think I read that in Stephen Hawking's A Brief History of Time (The book is a bit old though). Some even have theories that there are multiple and even parallel universes (don't quite know how that works).

Anyway, I agree that evolution doesn't disprove a God. I'm an agnostic atheist, so I am open to the idea of religion, but I haven't come across a good enough reason to believe in one. I was brought up a Christian, but I'm not anymore for reasons (not related to my depression) too many to list here .

I think it's rather silly to say you don't believe in evolution. It's like saying you don't believe in gravity :tongue: .
  16. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

Proof of evolution? Even if there was that would not prove there is no god- What if god made evolution possible?

Im not religious, I'm just saying an open mind is the only way to be. We are way too small in this universe to claim we understand it. We just see what we see and make it fit in with everything else we see.
  17. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Physics is always changinh. Although very informative and interesting, even the updated version of the Brief History of Time is missing some new discoveries. Scientific American did a whole bit on parallel universes, and how they are actually an implications of modern physics. Here.

Anyways, we didn't come from monkies. Or apes. We share a common ancestor with the modern ape. Different things entirely. Also, why do people jump to saying we cam from monkies, anyway? Even if it were true, the monkies cam from something, and back all the way to the first RNA molecules. It's easier to say we came from RNA.

Also keep in mind that evolution is at least as scientifically correct as gravity and cell theory.

Also also keep in mind that the concept of God is so fluid you could never argue anything about it. You could say, however, evolution flies in the face of CERTAIN gods, like the Judeo-Christian God because the bible left out the whole evolution thing. Sure, you can make an excuse for the Judeo-Chrisitan god and say he was being abstract in Genesis, it wasn't literal, but that is, as mentioned, an excuse. There are so many excuses out there formed by people to protect the bible.

In short, I believe that you can believe in a God/s if you want, but don't base it on the bible or claim that my iniability to prove the God's non-existance means anything. (As the classic argument goes, you can't disprove that there is a teapot in orbit of jupiter.)
  18. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Thanx for the link. will definitely check it out when i get home.
  19. MeAndYou

MeAndYou Well-Known Member

When i hear people say that there is a god or there is no god, the most important question for me is not "How can you prove it?" but more, "How do you come to that conclusion and how do you know you're right?" because as far as i can tell, (and as stated earlier), God cannot be proved or disproved, (unless of course you see life itself as prove of the existence of god). So its more me wanting to understand how individuals come to this conclusion, regardless of what scientific evidence or religious scripture they cite.

I think its easy to think of the bible (for atheists anyway), as a house of cards. If one thing is wrong the whole things tumbles. But you have to understand the vast interpretations of the bible and its stories (either literally or metephorically) but also the translation from Hebrew (think etymology). To discuss this, though, i think we'd have to get into the vast amount of denominations and i dont feel like doing that.

I think many Atheists have their beliefs colored in with "faith" just as much as theists because many atheists assert that there is no god or deity.

Also many Christians accept the science behind evolution just as non-Christians do. The argument here is that if you believe in evolution (we'll call it change) then you accept that there is some external force driving this change. Is this god?

For me personally i dont believe that there is some bubble, or entity, outside of us that can be defined as god that decides after you die whether or not you spend eternity in hell or heaven based on your actions in this physical life. I generally come to the conclusion that, that is absurd but i have no problem with other people believing in what they want so long as it doesn't infringe on another persons rights.

The closest force or thing that i can define as a deity would be either nature, or the conscious, but for all i know that may be one in the same.
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 12, 2009
  20. DynamiteKid

DynamiteKid Well-Known Member

God is just an easy way ov explaining the unexplainable. like who created da world? God. who created Humans? God. no one actually knows the answers so they say God. its alod ov bull.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.