Evolutionary psychology

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by jryan3434, Oct 4, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jryan3434

jryan3434 Active Member

Has anyone here been educated in this field? I know this may seem out of left field, but one of my biggest roadblocks in coping with my problems has to do with what I have learned about human nature, and my inability to find meaning in anything after learning about the evolution of human behavior and the whole 'we are genetic computers programmed by our environment' sort of thing. I basically have come to realize that free choice is an illusion since we are compelled to act based solely on our genes and environmental conditioning. This is the currently accepted point of view of just about any evolutionary biologist, and while there are certain apologetics among this community, the meaning is clear. If you accept current scientific theory, it is basically evidence based nihilism. I am a very science minded person, and as I mentioned in a previous post, no religion that I have studied has adequately adressed this issue, or provided evidence to the contrary that I feel passes mustard.

Anyway, I just wanted to see if anyone here has studied this sort of thing and would like to discuss it. Please don't reply if you haven't, especially with religious arguments. I have nothing against religion, but unless you understand the evidence behind the science you won't be able to discount it for me with arguments of faith. I have studied most major religions and know their arguments pretty well.

2. silent_enigma

silent_enigma Well-Known Member

At least I'm a relatively unique combination of genetic heritage and environmental conditioning.

And as far as religion goes, IMO, it's more depressing to believe in a "loving god" that never wants to communicate with you than not.

3. Ninja

Ninja Active Member

That's a bunch of fooeyTeh belief that everythign evolved from hydrogen gas (ie, evolution) has been disprooven sence the 1950's. The only reason they still keep it in schools is because the alternative would be "unthinkable".

4. jryan3434

jryan3434 Active Member

This was probably a mistake to post this here. I didn't want to get into a debate on whether or not evolution happened, I wanted to discuss the depressing philosophical implications of it. I only want to hear from people who are educated in this field and accept evolution as fact.

5. jryan3434

jryan3434 Active Member

Silent enigma-

Do you really think that? If it was a loving god, then there is a purpose to your existance that will all have value and meaning in the end. Not communicating with you would also have some purpose that ultimately will work out for the best. I don't believe any of that for a second, but if it was true, wouldn't you prefer that to the idea that you and your "choices" are just a meaningless accident that amounts to nothing?

6. Hae-Gi

Hae-Gi Banned Member

I am not very read at all on human nature, but I completely believe in evolution, and that does not affect me in my beliefs, at all.

If we are nothing but machines, how can it be that fate exists? I do not wish to sound like I'm preaching, but how can science explain that people can predict that, for instance, someone will die very soon, even though nothing tells of that being the case. When my own sister was little, she sat in the knee of a man from the neighbourhood, who was visiting, and suddenly said, "You're going to die." He laughed and replied, "We're all going to die." She replied, "But you're going to die soon!" He died two weeks later. Of course, similar stories from other people are not uncommon. And what about ghosts? They tell of an afterlife, unattached to evolution. Most people refuse to listen to ghost stories, though... same goes with out-of-body experiences, after you've died, and are brought back. I've been informed of a case with a woman who had to be "killed" by having her heart stopped, and severely cooling her down, in order for an operation to be able to be performed. During the operation, her brain was completely inactive; they constantly had access to that information, during the operation. Yet she had an out-of-body experience and could tell exactly what the doctors did and even said, directly afterwards. These matters tell of something beyond evolution that can be separated from the body, and that is also why I still can believe in true love, where procreation would play absolutely no part. Additionally, if evolution would be all that there is, how is it possible that I can be so utterly and completely against procreating, despite me having very good genes? How could evolution possibly be able to allow me to want sex, but no offspring? Is it unthinkable that something beyond the body can control it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.