Exercise... a new treatment to solve being suicidal???? I am so close to giving up!!!

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by GoldenPsych, Jun 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

Well had another trip to docs today - his new theory is that I feel like I do and I am not sleeping as I don't get enough exercise. I walk miles each week and also am running round all day at work. I play badminton once a week which about kills me. He seems to think that if I do 30mins a day ( as if I have time to do that as it is not 30 mins, it is the getting ready and showered after and getting to and from where I would go - so in reality about 2 hours out my day!!!!!!) then I will be all happy and bubbly again and that I will sleep at night. Ok, so a certain amount of exercise does release endorphins etc but come on 30mins a day, well more like 2 hours out my day. ARGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am getting so frustrated.

I told him that I am really struggling to cope and dont know what to do. SO didn't get any sleeping pills, so don't know how I am going to get on now as was sort of relying on them to get a decent nights sleep!!!!

I really am struggling now, I can't cope anymore and I am so close to giving it all up!

2. silver76

silver76 Active Member

Re: Exercise... a new treatment to solve being suicidal???? I am so close to giving u

don't give up. Find a new doctor. Yes working out and being healthier can help with self-esteem for the short term you may need meds. Alprazalam works for me. Helps me sleep and helps keep me calm and less stressed.

3. mortdesinos

mortdesinos Well-Known Member

Re: Exercise... a new treatment to solve being suicidal???? I am so close to giving u

Well yesterday I went on a bike ride in the dead of night, and it was exciting, both because it was dangerous and because I was working out. I had to catch a train, and I made excellent time. It really put me in a great mood. But it's nearing 100 degrees outside during the day here, so it's not exactly ideal weather for exercise. I don't know what it's like there. Getting sleep is more important though. I haven't slept for a few nights, and I'm not well.

4. TheWr0ngChild

TheWr0ngChild Well-Known Member

Golden you need to change your doctor ASAP. Try the Mind charity, every area has it's own annex of them, sometimes it's under a different name but it's still Mind. They can provide you with infomation on GP's, advocates and people who will help you fight for what you need. It's only a simple phone call. I've found a support agency in my town that is helping to get me some better services touch wood.

This is the Mind website. http://www.mind.org.uk/ look under the tab "mind in your area" to find your local branch. Just call them and see what they say.

I feel like a right hypocrite saying this stuff =/

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

at the risk of being a pain in the rear end... did you actually come out with the words "i'm feeling really suicidal again, and i made an attempt 8 days ago" in your conversation with him? if you did, and his only solution was exercise it is time for a new doctor. if you didn't, what was holding you back?

yes, exercise is good. as is a full-on treatment and care plan from the mental health team. yeah, it can include nutrition & exercise, self-help support groups, a good social worker that you trust. and meds. you have to try many things to feel better. but until you are able to be totally honest about how you feel, both to yourself and to your doctor he's gonna suggest things like exercise and think he's being helpful.

so if it's any consolation, the second psych i saw at the hospital told me to try warm milk as a way to deal with not sleeping. i was in the middle of a manic episode, i hadn't slept more than an hour in 5 days, i was hallucinating and was having serious flashbacks. man... i just wanted to slap her i was so frustrated. warm milk was a little on the light side in terms of what i felt i needed.

6. GoldenPsych

I said i was struggling to cope and he mentioned that i had been to a+E so I assume he had the notes about it from when I was at the hospital.

I don't think there is a problem with my GP. I think it is the NHS in general. For something not to have been brought up by now. I will see what Rob the SW says when I go see him on the 25th.

They have suggested that group thing, I am on medication, what else can they do though.

7. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

it's a big bureaucracy, there's no guarantee that the notes from the e/r reached him. sometimes you have to advocate for yourself, no matter how hard it is.

struggling to cope and a suicide attempt are two very different things.

as for what else can they do, there's tons. after my attempt i was set up with a mental health team. i had a community nurse come see me at home - twice a week at first and less as time went on and as i felt better; there were various programs i went to on an outpatient basis (relaxation was the one that helped best). they had to readjust the meds a few times (if you are still suicidal then yours aren't working and he'd need to know that too). there is so much more they could do.

when you see the guy on the 25th can you ask him about other supports? still, the 25th is a long way away.... can you go back to the doc in the meantime?

do you know what is stopping you from opening up and having a direct conversation with him? just wondering....

8. GoldenPsych

I find it hard to talk to people. I can't open up, I can't talk about things. As soon as I talk about it it becomes real, if I keep it to myself or write it down it is not happening to me. My bf has noticed that I am dpressed - I can;t hide it from him at all at the moment. I was quite good at hiding it all but he has noticed again.

I am not the type of person who talks about things, I never have been. I am not the type of person who likes all eyes on me and I don't like everyone to know I have a problem. I have some friends who when they are upset about something, no matter how trivial, the whole world knows. I am not one to cry in front of others, I remember even being a very young chid I was embarrassed about crying in front of other people. So I hide my self from the world and take my emotions out on other people. I bet I have been horrible to live with recently, no wonder my housemate is moving out. And yet another worry that she is moving out, what the hell am I going to do about money. I need someone else to move in but I have the hassle of finding someone. I need a new job as the job I am in is not anything like the career I want. I just have no motivation at the moment at all. Everyone is expecting so much of me at the moment. I can't cope!!!!!!!!

9. GoldenPsych

I think I am going to call that place that does the group thing tomorrow - just to get some info from it. I really don't wanna go.But maybe it would help - I will get all the info I need tomorrow!!!

10. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

good luck with the phone call. if it helps, just imagine that it is something for school, or that you are calling in order to refer someone, like a client. except in your heart you know that you are the client! i will be sending good vibes your way!!!

c.

11. GoldenPsych

Well I called that place... they are sending me info thru post. It is called Personality Disorders Network/unit.

I am going to tidy today and sit out in the sun and finish my book. Gonna put lotion on today, got a little burnt yesterday!

12. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

congrats on making that call! way to go....
    the sun peaked out of the clouds here for about a half a minute...
    enjoy!
    :tongue:

13. GoldenPsych

I was super pissed off - i got showered and changed then got outside just had the sun hid away. I was only out bout an hour and got 2 cold. it was 2windy. But anyway - i made the 1st step today. think turning up will be a hell of a lot harder. I think you have 121 sessions 1st though - if u type in personality disorder network in to google and go for one in midlands and see what u think g- am i getting it wrong?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.