Exercise and Pain

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by Freya, Aug 20, 2014.

1. Freya

Freya Loves SF Staff Member ADMIN

I am not good with pain. That is to say, I am a wuss with a low pain threshold and while I have tolerance for pain that is "happening" to me, causing myself pain is something I do not have any motivation for.

I am currently about 110lbs overweight. Today I went to the gym. It was mortifying - basically. I explained to the gym instructor that I get pain and winded from even a couple of minutes brisk walk, so naturally she declared that we would "warm up with ten minutes on the treadmill". Ten minutes is beyond my limit for cardio, never mind a warm up. It hurts. And when it hurts I want to stop. Not only do I want to stop, but I find it very very hard to push myself past that want to stop.

Exercise of any kind has always caused me pain. Right back to school physical education. It is why I don't do it. It is why I know get winded and red and wheezy from more than a couple of flights of stairs.

I am not sure what I am asking for in terms of advice - maybe just looking for encouragement. Does anyone know how to convince yourself to inflict pain on yourself for an hour a day every day? Because I am not good at this.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

I am not good at it either Freya the only way i can get exercise if is i need to do something like gardening pain for me has to have a purpose to it Music helps with activity that has to be done it distracts one from the pain some

3. Butterfly

Butterfly Pokémon Master Staff Alumni SF Author SF Supporter

I think with exercise you need to take it at your own pace otherwise you won't enjoy it and will be less inclined to do it. That's why I prefer swimming because I can usually just swim at my own pace, take as long as I want and just chill out.

4. GreyCat

GreyCat Well-Known Member

Go on the treadmill and walk. all you need to do is get your heart rate up a bit and maintain it for 25-30 minutes five times a week to be getting the recommended amount of cardio for good health. You may or may not be able to do that initially. You don't need to be sprinting or pushing yourself hard at this stage. simply walking on the treadmill will help you build up some stamina if you are not so fit just now. Try it for two weeks, and you will feel a difference. If you get pains in your feet then go swimming, or do the same amount of time on the bikes. Mix it up. Keep it interesting. Do what you can. Take breaks. Don't hurt yourself. If it hurts you you will not enjoy it and it will be much harder to keep up. Apart from the physical effect of going to the gym, if you work out the psychological effect is very rewarding. Set your own goals. You don't have to do what the gym instructor told you, or if you do want to follow the programme you were given simply slow it down to suit you. Even if you need to start off on ten mins per cardio session this is progress. Exercise definitely doesn't have to hurt. It does have to involve some effort, but nothing too uncomfortable. Oh yeah and music will save your life if you are not a natural gym bunny. Stick your headphones on, listen to some good tunes and the time will go much quicker. That's my experience of it anyway. Go at your own pace.

5. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

plug yourself into your ipod, play something with an upbeat, and go to the park.
    Stroll, then pick up the pace, then stroll.
    Everytime you do it extend the faster walking, but only as long as you feel comfortable; gradually you will be able to do more and more, but it has to be at your pace or you will quit.

ps agree with Alexi, swimming is a good way to exercise.

6. Adam

Adam SF Supporter

Hey Freya. Here are my blunt thoughts. There does not have to be an over abundance of pain and if you are feeling like you want to vomit that is not helpful to making you want to return to the gym.

1. My suggestion would be to look into anything aqua. Aqua Jogging, Aqua aerobics, underwater, tai chi, yoga. You are then not waging direct war against your weight and gravity in an unnecessary manner. Water based exercise is gentler just as effective and will result in less joint pain. Although after aches are still in your future ;). Even though it is gentler it is no less effective.

2. Maybe join some kind of aqa thing specifically for those who want to lose weight. I know at my local pool they have this. Maybe they do in your local area. Maybe meeting these other weight fighters would be good for you any way. Commonality is a good bridge builder. Sharing mutual positive goals means better likelihood of success.

3. Maybe make a point of eating something good and healthy while there but also nice. A sort of reward to yourself for going and later aching, which you will. This way you build more positive associations with the entire thing. If you can afford it get a massage or do something to pamper you. Because you deserve it. You are not the creature from the black lagoon like I sometimes think, you think you are.

4. At a certain point your fitness level will improve, then a gym is not like a torturous hell of dizziness and wondering why the hell you are there. When you want to throw up your spleen. Although I have never understood treadmills when there is a big wide open world and glorious nature to wander all over. Regardless be gentle with yourself.

A Pilot study on aqua jogging. http://www.hindawi.com/journals/jobe/2010/231074/

7. SillyOldBear

SillyOldBear Teddy Bear Fanatic Staff Member Safety & Support

Freya, all the suggestions for water exercising are right on. It doesn't stress your joints. But the main thing, regardless of the exercise, is to start slowly. I would suggest avoiding trainers right now. They don't really get it, how tough exercise is when you are overweight. Go for a comfortably paced walk, while listening to your favorite movies. Start with 10 minutes every other day. You really don't need to exercise everyday. The body needs time to recover. It you do exercise daily, alternate walking with weight lifting. Start low there too. Ten or 15 pounds. You know yourself. If you inflict pain you will stop. So go slowly enough so that you don't inflict pain. The line 'no pain, no gain', is a bunch of garbage.

8. NYJmpMaster

NYJmpMaster Have a question? Message Me Staff Member Forum Owner ADMIN

Start small and simple. Inaddition to all of the above advice you are the only one you need to impress. You hurt after 2 minutes and the instructor suggested 10 minutes as awarmup and totally terrified you. Take what th instructor says as a goal not a requirement for success. If you can only do 2 minutes befre wanting to stop and cant continue=e do 2 minutes. And then in a few minutes do 2 minutes more- etc. Maybe by next wek you can do 5 minutes and if it is only 3 then congratulate yourself on the 50% improvement from 2 minutes and be proud.

Don't wooty about what th instructor says except to take it as targets and if you cannot do all of it be proud you showed uop and did some and try to do a minute more next time. You know how difficult it is for you - the instructor does not- so do what you can and be happy with every improvement on that and do not worry at all about what "should be able to" "others can do" and just be proud at yourself for doing what you can and improving on that each day or week.