Exercise Classes

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by alison, May 27, 2010.

1. alison

alison Well-Known Member

So I haven't been to the gym in months (desperately out of shape now!), and even when I used to go I would just run at a treadmill in the corner of the room pretending I was invisible lol.

But these past few days I have been cleaning my room and stretching and eating well, and I feel really alive and strangely longing to exercise. I don't know how long this will last, but I'm excited and am planning on going to my gym tomorrow :)

For some reason, I feel really drawn to the classes offered there. However, I've never been to any classes at a gym before, I was wondering if anyone had any advice?

I'm considering trying yoga (since anxiety is a big part of my life and I hear the breathing exercises can do wonders, also I love stretching and feeling flexible). Also, I'm thinking about doing a spinning class - there's this class I'm looking at that is called 'Cycle Lite' and is for beginners and only runs for half an hour. (there's also something called 'boot camp' and several martial arts courses.. but those scare me, so I think I'll save them for another day! lol)

Anyways, for someone who is terribly out-of-shape, do you think I'd fare okay in the Cycle Lite program? I've really enjoyed cycling by myself in the past, and the class seems so fun. Also, what is beginning yoga like? I've never done any yoga, so that scares me a bit. (How embarrassing is it if you can't do any of the poses on your first day?)

Any other advice would be lovely! Back when I used to go to the gym, I would generally run on the treadmill for 15-20 min, then cycle for half an hour, then do weight machines for another half hour. If I was still feeling good, I would run another 10 minutes or so, and then walk for 10 minutes on an incline.
  2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

hey go for it good way to meet new people as well i enjoy being out in the air and walking but at a gym you have company and people to motivate you.