Exercise/Food Programs

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by napoleonblackwellty, Aug 25, 2010.

1. napoleonblackwellty

napoleonblackwellty New Member

Hi. I am an 18 year old male. 5'8, 250 pounds. I want to be down to 180 in a year. I was looking for exercise tips that can help me lose about 2-3 pounds per week.

Also what foods should I be eating? I am high school senior and plan on eating salads every day for lunch. But what about breakfast, dinner, and snacks?

I really need help. I have been fat all my life, and really want to get these numbers moving. I have been drinking nothing but water, and eating more fruits and vegetables over the past couple weeks, but it doesn't feel like enough.

2. total eclipse

total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

Hey all ican recommend is cut back on your meals You need protein to loose weight lean meats chicken fish breakfast grapefruit some yogourt not the fruit kind cereal all in small proportions Have you asked your doctor about getting a nutritional consultant for you they will help you make a diet and exercise routine one you can stick with okay Call GP and ask for a diet consultant to help you okay.
  3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome to the forum. Well done for trying it sounds like you have made a good start. I like this topic, will break up into parts.

Part 1. DIET:

Obviously you will need to reduce calories i will get to this later. Diet tips:

Firstly you want to eat small and often like six meals for example;

Breakfast: Try to eat within one hour of waking.
    Snack: Don't eat right before bed.

This will keep your metabolism high allowing you to burn off more calories. If you like chillies they apparently help keep this high.

Drinking lots of water is good and will help. It optimises conditions for fat loss, helping the liver to convert stored fat into energy. But you don't have to be super strict you can drink other things than water just watch out for ones high in sugar or fat.

Avoid the wrong sort of carbs; avoid simple sugars like glucose, sucrose etc. Limit how much carbs you get from things like rice, pasta and wheat. Try replacing them with your vegtables, salad and oats. By avoiding simple sugars you will help reduce blood sugar fluctuations which cause insulin spikes that store excess bodyfat. Limit your intake of processed or manufactured foods.

Don't forget to eat protein like lean meats, dairy etc. If you don't your body will cannibalize itself for food, you may not mind too much but less muscle mean less calories burnt off during any given activity day etc. You want to keep your muscles, don't go ott though, just don't forget to eat some.

Fat itself will not make you overweight you don't need to cut out all fats, the ones found in fish, seeds and nuts are essetial for a healthy body. Butter, meat fat etc are not.

Tip, plan your meals! You could try buying all the food you will need for the week ahead and prepare them the night before or something. So you are less likely just to snack on the biscuits in the kitchen.

Thats all i can think of on that, will post more in a bit.
  4. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Hello Napoleon, there is a lot of differing opinions out there on types of diets and exercise. I would recommend doing some research if you have some time on the following websites: elitefts.com and t-nation.com. There are some cookie cutter type diets and programs that can give you a decent understanding of nutrition/training that will get you on your way to where you want to be. Your goal is definitely attainable, just keep plugging away at it and you will get there. If you give me a general area of where you are located I can give you some gym/trainer recommendations. Good luck :)
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Another great training site to check out that also has some great motivational clips and stories is rosstraining.com.