Exercising in green spaces boosts mental health

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Aurora Gory Alice, May 2, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aurora Gory Alice

Aurora Gory Alice Well-Known Member

2. empty101

empty101 Well-Known Member

I knew everything that was said in that article and I didn't need a drop of science to figure it out :)

3. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It makes a lot of sense. Now that I think of it, I've noticed the difference as well. Thanks for sharing.

4. kyle88

kyle88 Well-Known Member

Not to be a negative nancy, but couldn't it just be that people who are willing to workout in public places in the first place, probably don't suffer from things like depression, anxiety, insecurity, no self-confidence, etc?

Whenever anyone exercises, they release endorphins, regardless of where they exercise, the article just doesn't seem to give info of people who exercise in green/blue areas compared to people who exercise in say their own house... they only talk about the feelings of people who exercise in those spaces... maybe i guess its just a common sense assumption, but i still think it would be important to state the feelings of people who didn't exercise in those areas (control group).

Was it the fact they were exercising in green/blue environments that made them feel better, or the fact that they just exercised? They also don't state the current health of all the participants, but give very vague descriptions saying that the effect was strong on the young and mentally ill... well young people go through hormonal imbalances, and exercising regulates that, and mentally ill people (atleast most) dont tend to be very active (Depending on the condition, but im assuming depression in this case).

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  5. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

All exercise boosts mental health. Are they saying that 'Green' exercise boosts it more, or are they just ignorant of the mental effects of any exercise?

6. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It's certainly true that one gets a boost from excercise in general ("runner's high" as it is known). But I've read elsewhere that doing so in the presence of nature, in a wide-open space, is even more conducive to those effects. Such an enviornment has less stimuli and greater space. Intuitively speaking, it makes some sense, but I'd have to look at the science behind it.

7. Ziggy

Ziggy Antiquitie's Friend

I don't think it's anything to do with exercise, and I don't think it's anything to do with science. After all people used to worship the trees and the sun for neither of these reasons.

Personally I think growing plants or sitting in the garden boosts mental health, being close to nature is a good thing and although scientifically I may be wrong, if I personally believe that, and the placebo effect kicks in, I will in a sense be right.

8. poisonedresistance

poisonedresistance Well-Known Member

I live in the countryside and have to exercised the dogs outside 5-6 times a day and I don't feel much different

9. worshiper

worshiper New Member

There is growing evidence that combining activities such as walking or cycling with nature boosts well-being. In the latest analysis, UK researchers looked at evidence from 1,250 people in 10 studies and found fast improvements in mood and self-esteem. The study in the Environmental Science and Technology journal suggested the strongest impact was on young people.

10. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I cant, May-August I am allergic to grass pollen... Septermber-April it rains.... LOL

Probably would help people in the city but mainly because just a change of environment can be positive.

11. Perfect Melancholy

Perfect Melancholy SF Friend

I found a park near where I live always empty I take alfie (housemates dog) there everyday for a walk, it gives me purpose and makes me feel better, it also helps me get rid of some energy

12. plates

plates Well-Known Member

My local park became a different place when I got better; when I was unwell, no way did it boost my mental health....:laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.