Experience with emergency service.

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by Cecilie, Jun 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cecilie

Cecilie Member

When you have cut and understand there is no way you can you fix this yourself and you need help from a doctor with stiches and shit... How do you get met? Do they take you seriuosly?

In Norway there is such a embarrasing thing to do.. Because you can get judge and sometimes the doctors are tired and stich you up without anesthetic. And everything happening really fast and its not a good job! You nevner know what you meet and how you will be treated. Thats a big reason way I and many others dread to seek help..

But that has never happen to me. Last night I met the most empatich doctor and nurse. She hold my hand and asked how I was. The job was well done and when I walked out I felt better with myself. They wrote me up for professional help..

What is your experience? Good or bad?

Again.. Sorry for mye bad writing :p ill hope my english get better after a time in this forum :)

2. OldGuy

OldGuy Active Member

Wow stitches without anesthetic! I don't thing that is even legal in the US.

I belong to one of the largest and best HMOs in CA, HI, CO, OH, VA, WA, GA and OR. I every time (at least 6 time) I've had to get stitched up the doctors and nurses have been caring and professional. The only problem I've had is convincing them I'm not a danger to myself (that is, a candidate for a 5150* hold). I'v been 5150'd about a dozen times so So we I'm thinking rationally I can understand their concern. But that was a while ago. I think the staff has had training that self harm in of itself is not an indication of suicide intentions.

* 5150 is the section of the law that allows for involuntary hold for psychiatric evaluation. it's akin to sectioning in the UK. It's for a max of 72 hours. Another section of the law allows for 14days and yet another section for indefinite confinement.

3. Isaak

Isaak Active Member

What's Kaiser's inpatient psych like? I used to have them, then later worked for them (until last December), but the one time I have gone in with a mental health emergency, I was uninsured and had to go through LA County services.

4. Hatshepsut

Hatshepsut Guest

I don't have direct experience, and don't wish to become that judge. But while doctors treat injuries and ailments regardless of how acquired, it's reasonable to expect them to have feelings about it. I've gone to the hospital for acute alcohol-related episodes, and got good care. But they had to know I had brought my own problems down on myself in an obvious way.

But again, heart attacks in the elderly often follow a lifetime of dietary indulgence or smoking--so in a way, even these illnesses are partly self-inflicted.

Fortunately, Utah doesn't segregate care for the uninsured to the degree Los Angeles or Chicago probably do, so the problem of seriously inferior care doesn't come up. Like anywhere else in USA, being uninsured in Utah means less follow-up care.

Which is really the point. It's the follow-up & maintenance, so there don't have to be so many emergencies.

5. Timo716

Timo716 Member

Up to 4 stitches are without anesthetic.

I have had not so many lucky.
    But avoiding sh is way better.

6. OldGuy

OldGuy Active Member

Some places it's in-house but I think in most places in is contracted out.

The is from Yelp.com, Kaiser Santa Clara, CA has a state of the art facility with all the modern amenities healthcare has to offer. The center houses a 24-bed inpatient psych unit as well as a 6-chair crisis stabilization unit. Also available to patients are a calming garden, public cafe, a number of interview and group rooms, a gym, art room and other amenities. I'm in a PHP and one of the clients said it was very good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.