Experiences of fluoxetine(prozac) or citalopram ?????

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by fallen angel, Nov 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fallen angel

fallen angel Member

I have been feeling suicidal everyday for over a month now. My doctor has given me the choice of going on one of these meds. I am worried that the first few weeks of taking them will make me do something crazy towards myself or my family as I have read reports of these drugs making people feel much worse. I have been attempting to strangle myself quite often over the last couple of weeks, and continuously looking for the way out. I've managed to see a friend, but life still seems ridiculous. I don't know whats wrong with me, even after my mum completely broke down and told me exactly how it would be if i were to die, i still couldn't feel emotion. I'm normaly so close. I'm dead inside, my pathetic 26 year old body is just sort of wasting away gradually.

Any way, i've lost the point I was asking about. Any experiences of prozac or citalopram? Please share so i can maybe begin to pick up the pieces of my scattered life. I really don't know wether to take them. I start CBT on 12 Dec if I get that far. :stretcher:

Thank you
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2008
  2. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

Hi Angel, check todays post by roo army--worried about prozac. My experience is there.Best of luck.
  3. Stranger1

Stranger1 Forum Buddy & Antiquities Friend

Hey Fallenangel,
    I was on prosac for a little over a year. It seemed to work for a while. Don't get me wrong, it might work all together for you. I have been on almost everything and some last for a while and others don't work at all. The one AD that worked the best for me was EFFEXOR. I was doing good on it with a combination of NUERONTIN in the evenings. The other med you listed I have never heard of.
    My shrink just changed me from PROSAC to PAXIL a couple of weeks ago and so far they haven't helped. Thats why I am am so down right now. I hope this helps you!!~Joseph~
  4. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hi Fallenangel,

I first started taking citalopram in july for depression and anxiety i started on 10mg and worked my way up to 60mg, it didn't seem to work at all. I stopped taking it suddenly one day without weaning off it, and it drove me crazy. Here's good advice: Do not stop taking citalopram without consulting your doctor, it caused me to be extremely suicidal and violent.I started taking citalopram again a month ago, this time round it seems to be working great, the anxiety is gone and I feel much happier :) It's definitely worth a try hun..I hope that helped x

Also.. be careful when adjusting doses, it can cause suicidal thoughts.

If you need more info feel free to PM me :hug:
  5. meliisa

meliisa Member

I was on prosac for 4 or 5 weeks and didn't work for me at all it made me worse and my anxiety went throw the roof. I've been on citalapram for about 4 months and works really well but it all depends on you. If you find the medication isn't working for you your doctor should know and he should do somthing about it fast enough to stop you from carrying out your thoughts. :)
  6. Rosenrot

Rosenrot Forum Buddy

Fluoxetine is rubbish.

I won't try to discourage you with my experiences on it, just keep a positive attitude while taking it; though; if you have a choice between the two, I'd personally pick citalopram. Though citalopram didn't work for me, it at least didn't have any negative side effects.

I hope it all works out for you.
  7. heartlessfaceless

heartlessfaceless Active Member

When i was given citalopram,i was in the hospital within 3 weeks-totally pushed me over the edge,i took a massive overdose of it plus other random tablets and nearly died.
    All in all ive had over 9 diffrent anti depressants..and other mood altering things.
    Only thing that ever worked for me was sertraline,even though i suffered massive side effects,only reason im not taking that one right now is cause the side effects make it difficult for me to play with my son etc..
    Have recently started on prozac,sends me to sleep and my mouth feels like ive been eating cotton wool and licking someones hair all at the same time...other than that ivve yet to see if it works
  8. Lennie

Lennie Well-Known Member

I was on Citalopram, only 10mg though, but it did nothing for me at all. Infact it made me worse. I'm not a fan of Citalopram. :mellow:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.