• Please read the thread in Forum News and Announcements pertaining to race related discussion on SF - thank you :)

Experiences with mental health services

Anonymous ID

We are all from different places so all our experiences with mental healthcare is going to be different. I am interested in hearing your stories about the good, the bad, and the ugly. What triggers you to get better or worse?

I'm pretty thankful that where I live has free public healthcare although I think the healthcare professionals need more training on mental health. I have been told recently when I went to hospital that I was just seeking attention. When I didn't want help they took away my rights and locked me up in a psychiatric facility for 6 weeks and now that I'm seeking help voluntarily no one wants to help. They make a time to call but they never do. My psychiatrist is good but every time I go to hospital I'm frowned upon for not having a physical illness. Going to hospital makes me feel worse and that I need to cause serious harm to myself to be taken seriously.

johnDoen

We are all from different places so all our experiences with mental healthcare is going to be different. I am interested in hearing your stories about the good, the bad, and the ugly. What triggers you to get better or worse?

I'm pretty thankful that where I live has free public healthcare although I think the healthcare professionals need more training on mental health. I have been told recently when I went to hospital that I was just seeking attention. When I didn't want help they took away my rights and locked me up in a psychiatric facility for 6 weeks and now that I'm seeking help voluntarily no one wants to help. They make a time to call but they never do. My psychiatrist is good but every time I go to hospital I'm frowned upon for not having a physical illness. Going to hospital makes me feel worse and that I need to cause serious harm to myself to be taken seriously.
I think I can relate to you somehow.

My therapist told me to "man up" when I failed to answer some of her yes/no questions. I came to her clinic because I was close to suicide. All I received are interrogation sessions in a freezing room, like a bunch of yes/no questions, a handful of writing and then the bill. It's strange that I'm the one being complained about lacking social skills.I'm thinking it will be better for me to just forgive her and move on with my life. I'm learning how to do that.

I'm saving up for future treatment but this year is damn hard to everyone.

Anonymous ID

I think I can relate to you somehow.

My therapist told me to "man up" when I failed to answer some of her yes/no questions. I came to her clinic because I was close to suicide. All I received are interrogation sessions in a freezing room, like a bunch of yes/no questions, a handful of writing and then the bill. It's strange that I'm the one being complained about lacking social skills.I'm thinking it will be better for me to just forgive her and move on with my life. I'm learning how to do that.

I'm saving up for future treatment but this year is damn hard to everyone.
It's really hard to trust and talk to people. They should have understood and accommodated that in your session. I'm sorry you felt the way you did and hope it gets better next time

I’m beginning to think that help isn’t out there. Professionals don’t know what they are doing. They throw meds at you which don’t work and then they don’t know what else to do. I told a mental health nurse that I wanted to kill myself during a meeting and as I left the room he told me to take care. My physiologist asked me questions for two hours and told me to increase my dose of meds. Nothing else was offered. I had a care coordinator for a short while but she left the area and they didn’t replace her. In fact everyone who has helped professionally has left me after a while. I find that is far more hurtful than not having anyone at all. I think much of the problem is who is responsible or liable if you do commit suicide? Counsellors don’t like having the responsibility so they pass you on. They have certain protocols to follow. The mental health team write a risk assessment. Once you’ve been identified as a risk they still do nothing. Everything is pointless really.

Anonymous ID

I’m beginning to think that help isn’t out there. Professionals don’t know what they are doing. They throw meds at you which don’t work and then they don’t know what else to do. I told a mental health nurse that I wanted to kill myself during a meeting and as I left the room he told me to take care. My physiologist asked me questions for two hours and told me to increase my dose of meds. Nothing else was offered. I had a care coordinator for a short while but she left the area and they didn’t replace her. In fact everyone who has helped professionally has left me after a while. I find that is far more hurtful than not having anyone at all. I think much of the problem is who is responsible or liable if you do commit suicide? Counsellors don’t like having the responsibility so they pass you on. They have certain protocols to follow. The mental health team write a risk assessment. Once you’ve been identified as a risk they still do nothing. Everything is pointless really.
I'm sorry to hear you have have a continual bad experience with the mental healthcare system. There is so much bad stigma surrounding people with mental health issues and the professionals just don't know what to do when it's really bad. I'm going to keep trying to get support though, I hope you will do the same

I’m beginning to think that help isn’t out there
I've come to the conclusion that the NHS is supposed to offer a certain level of care, but the funding for it isn't there, so they just pretend to offer that care. The NHS may be better than many other healthcare systems, but they seem to waste a lot of time and money pretending to offer care that they can't or won't.

MisterBGone

o O Oo oO oOo O ooo..!;)~
SF Supporter
It would be nice, if one day we could come or get to a place, where they can do a nice, simple, physiological blood-test, that tells you whether you have one mental health disorder, or illness, or not. For instance, "Well, that's a relief! At least we know we're not fill-in-the blank..." And that's kind of a problem sometimes used with the language or terminology that can be associated with these "labels," as well. Well, heck? What did you expect! He's "fill-in-the blank." Instead of, "He's so & so, with such & such." I don't know, I think for some, some of the time, that can be a bit of a draining and negative feeling or thing to have to carry around with them when being judged by others. Both inside & out, of the hospital, or mental / behavioral health (professional) setting. What do I know, though? ;)

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$305.00
Goal
$255.00