exposure sucks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

icequeen

am undergoing exposure therapy and i go from 0-10 on anxiety scale. i hit 9 today and then after 40 mins or so completed detached suddenly and hit 0. now i am in and out every few mins which is driving me nuts and as well as that other issues creeping in which is distracting and doesnt help. has anyone else had exposure therapy and suffered cos of it?

total eclipse

SF Friend
Staff Alumni
Yes but my T does it very gradually only sometimes seconds at a time always making sure i am grounded at the end of the session i am not left in the past but in the present tense I hope you have a therapist does is experianced in the therapy as it is important that it be done correctly hugs

icequeen

thanks total...i have to do exposure until i hit the high and get a significant reduction in anxiety levels no matter how long it takes...but i cant leave until i get a significant reduction in anxiety levels...yesterday i hit the high, it remained high and then crashed to detachment again...i gave in after 1hr as it was clear i wasnt going to reactivate and just leaves me exhausted and in a kinda never never land. just wondered how others deal with it.

icequeen

hi dazzle...exposure is diagnosis dependant therapy. the idea is that you put yourself through what for you is triggering situations and remain there until your anxiety levels peak and then drop significantly and you do this daily until your anxiety levels do not hit the highs...and remain at a constantly acceptable level and then you move on to the next trigger..the idea is that if you confront your demons regularly, your anxiety cannot remain high and will come down to a manageable level. its breaking down the barrier of detachment and self preservation to enable you to live in the real world and not behind a wall. hope i have explained it that you can understand...but that is how i think it has been explained to me.

thanks for your interest :sheep2:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$255.00