Extinct Words

Discussion in 'Positive Feelings and Motivational Messages' started by pit, May 5, 2012.

1. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Fisticuffs - once used to denote fistfighting, boxing.

Razzamatazz - colorful 70s word which defined an array of ideas, objects, materials or substances. Each letter would often be colored differently.

Swell - an expression of satisfaction or success, ex: I'm doing swell. (I will bring it back into the vernacular myself.)

Lousy - horrible, badly. That was a lousy swing Mitch Manaheim made at the plate.
  2. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Razzamatazz - that is still said a lot in Australia (notably because it is the name of a women's sticking line)
    While fisticuffs is rarely used by anyone anymore (under the age of 70), Swell and lousy - they are still said fairly regularly in Australia
  3. Fvantom

Fvantom Active Member

Ive still seen people say lousy recently, not too often, I dont hear swell much, but fisticuffs seems to be making a comeback XD
  4. Madsys

Madsys Active Member

me and my friends and such use all those words :)
  5. Moat

Moat Banned Member

Must be an aussie thing :kool:
  6. Acy

Acy Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense Staff Member Safety & Support

They're still used in other places, too. I still use them and so do others here. (Maybe here it's because of our age, though. :eek:ld: :laugh:)
  7. Witty_Sarcasm

Witty_Sarcasm Writer, Musician, Fun Lover, Magic Maker

I use these words sometimes...of course I use words that people probably haven't used in 70 years...haha.
  8. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I was hoping you guys would add to my list. Are there any other words that people don't use anymore?
  9. Brokengirl123

Brokengirl123 Well-Known Member

'Bez it'
    'mint', 'jazzy' and also 'buzzing' - words used to describe something that is good.

I think pit means words that have faded out of common everyday general speech probably for whatever country you are living in as it is hard to know the vernacular of others. This is an interesting game pit.
  10. pit

pit Well-Known Member

Doldrums - a blue or depressed state that usually brings a person to this site.

Shucks or Aw, Shucks - an exclamation like Gosh, Gee Willakers or Dagnabbit, all of which are extinct.
  11. thepainwithin

thepainwithin Well-Known Member

Cheese it! It's the fuzz!