Extra time in exams for mental illness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

feathers

After it being confirmed today that I am getting 25% extra time in my A-Level exams due to my depression and whatnot, I just thought I'd pose the question;

Is it fair, or not?

Do you think people who have mental health problems should get extra time in exams?

Personally I believe it is fair. I know that when I am depressed my thoughts run a lot slower than when I am not. I know that when I am partially dissociated I don't even have access to the part of my brain where the subject knowledge is stored. I also know that when I am 'manic' (or so we think) everything seems to fall apart and my ability to focus and sit still goes completely down hill.

Anyway, yes, certainly it is not for one who gets extra time to complain about it or to reject it. But what do you all think? Should it be allowed for mental health issues?

Kaz x

aoeu

Concentration is naturally poor while depressed.

Honestly, extra time is not even close to enough handicap. You lose so much studying capability...

Axiom

Account Closed
idk.. i know that'd bug me, if I was depressed and they gave it to me. But if someone else needed the time? It wouldn't bother me.

Craig

Banned Member
I would say no. If we start taking that into account then we might as well make harder exams for people with a higher IQ and easier ones for those that have a lower IQ. Our education system shouldent be based on effort but rather be a blanket standard of suffering someone has to put up with to one day get handed a piece of paper that people oooh and ahhhh at.

blondeellen

but craig if someone is ill, its harder to consentrate on an exam. you get extra time if you are ill in a physical way or if your pregnant why not if your depressed?

as much as i see for myself yes, its justified
i act about 70% more retarded at my worst if im not on meds or upset, with memory and focus issues and typoing and all and im on antidepressants

also if you can understand ones exam capacity after being chaised by a rabid dog u can understand the capacity of a very anxious person

Growing Pains

I, honestly, don't think I would take to well to being asked if I need extra time. As irritable as I can be at times... to be perfectly frank, I'd probably feel offended. Though, I think it could be helpful regardless. I wouldn't say it's unfair. Certain mental illnesses can make concentration very, very difficult. On my worse days, I cannot perform Math problems at all. I just can't.

PollyAnna

Account Closed
It is beyond fair.People need to understand that depression is an official mental illness. NOT A LACK OF MOTIVATION! You struggle In everything you do; not only school work! Let's not forget that depression can be accompanied by other mental illnesses too.

Prinnctopher's Belt

Antiquities Friend
SF Supporter
I think it depends on the severity of said mental illness. I wouldn't give someone more time to complete a task than everyone else just because they're having a bout of depression. The only times I would think it's fair is if the person had a proven case of ADHD or was grieving from a family loss or have dyslexia or some other *ability*-effecting problem; those are understandable circumstances. The real world doesn't allow extra time because you had a bad day or feel like you can't concentrate. You have to put your head down, stick your tail up and handle your business. If you feel like you absolutely cannot get things done, then take off.

How would this cold world look at you if they see that you require three times the additional time it takes to complete a task than everyone else?

feathers

I think it depends on the severity of said mental illness. I wouldn't give someone more time to complete a task than everyone else just because they're having a bout of depression. The only times I would think it's fair is if the person had a proven case of ADHD or was grieving from a family loss or have dyslexia or some other *ability*-effecting problem; those are understandable circumstances. The real world doesn't allow extra time because you had a bad day or feel like you can't concentrate. You have to put your head down, stick your tail up and handle your business. If you feel like you absolutely cannot get things done, then take off.

How would this cold world look at you if they see that you require three times the additional time it takes to complete a task than everyone else?
Firstly it's not "three times" the amount of time, it's 25% extra. And depression is an ability effecting problem, at least if serious enough, as I've stated in my OP it does slow you down etc.

Datura

I, honestly, don't think I would take to well to being asked if I need extra time. As irritable as I can be at times... to be perfectly frank, I'd probably feel offended.
You wouldn't be asked. There are disability services in schools. You would go to them, or have an advocate go, and request the extended time needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00