Extraterrestrial life

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Borrowed time*, Nov 10, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Borrowed time*

Borrowed time* Well-Known Member

Im not sure if this has been asked before so if it has just delete this thread.

There are a lot of threads asking people about there opinions on God and religion so i was just wondering what peoples opinions are on aliens.
    Do you believe there are intelligent life forms else where in our universe?

2. LogDork

LogDork Senior Member & Antiquities Friend

well, considering how we are just beginning to get a grasp on time...
    I dont think we're even capable of looking in enough directions...
    I guess I'd have to wonder what would constitute intelligent life forms.
    I think Hawkins might be right that we may not want to broadcast our presence too loudly, we might just be dinner to someone out there, heck of a lot of protein walking around on this planet.

3. Decode

Decode Well-Known Member

Yes i definitely believe there is. Now do i think they have been to earth to see us.... no.
    The universe is just so huge you can barely believe. There is life out there.

4. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

I'm skeptical. A lot of coincidences were required for life to show up here... but it is a big universe.

I strongly doubt that we'll be raided for resources like Hawkins thinks if aliens do discover us. Iron isn't so rare and we've not got worthwhile quantities of anything else on this planet. However, zoos featuring us aren't so far-fetched in my mind. A high-tech race probably needs to be curious to get there, and an alien lifeform is certainly a curiosity.

5. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

Do I believe there's life out there? Yes. Do I believe there's intelligent life out there? Not really, but it's possible.

HOWEVER. Just because that it's highly likely that there is life, it's not guaranteed, and we have no evidence to support that there is, so the official stand must be "no".

And even if there was intelligent life, space-travel is a bitch, and getting any real distance in space in time for tea is impossible unless you're some sort of wave.

6. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

Sure, there's the chance for other life forms to exist. There's basically a chance for anything, :laugh:.

I wonder if the Hubble shuttle will be found by anything? (That shuttle thing that was sent into space with a sound recording of various things on earth with directions scratched onto a gold plate, or something.)

7. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Trying to consider alien creatures is a rather difficult to impossible task - all thought is anthropomorphic.

I find that as one considers the scale of the universe and tendencies one finds the odds of other life approaches 1.

8. 1izombie

1izombie Well-Known Member

The odds for extraterrestrial life are pretty good and fairly certain but the odds for intelligent life is not so certain but i think there is a good chance that there is intelligent extraterrestrial life in the universe beside here on earth. I think the more earth like planets that are discovered the closer we get to understanding just how prevalent life is in the universe. Once we get a clearer picture of that the odds of intelligent life existing would be better understood.

9. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I am certainly open to the possibility, especially given the sheer scale of the universe.

10. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Have there actually been any 'Earth-like planets' discovered up to now?

This one is stated to be an 'Earth-like planet' in the title. Although, as alluded to in same, it isnt really significantly so being that it is a 'volcanic wasteland'. So, a little bit different.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/01/100106093642.htm

"It is, however, a forbidding place and unlikely to harbor life. That's because it is so close to its star that temperatures might be above 4,000 degrees F (2,200 C) on the surface lit by its star and as low as minus 350 F (minus 210 C) on its dark side."

Yeah, sounds just like Earth.

"If conditions are what we speculate, then CoRoT-7 b could have multiple volcanoes going off continuously and magma flowing all over the surface," says Rory Barnes, a UW postdoctoral researcher of astronomy and astrobiology"

Presumably it is considered 'Earth-like' because it is round and floats around in space!

How many planets are there truly likely to be that are sufficiently 'Earth-like' for life, as we know it, to exist?

11. 1izombie

hmmm i didnt mean to equate earth like planets to mean that every earth like planet will harbour life...my bad, but as in your example, they figure out that planet wouldnt be hospitable but thanks to NASA’s Kepler satellite there hundreds and hundreds of stars (with planets) they are looking at right now and seeing how hospitable those planets could be. This and other studies will help us get a better understand of how prevalent hospitable planets are. I do know even if a planet is hospitable doesn't mean it has life on it and i dont know if they is a way to tell if these planets have water (most likely needed for life to occur) but if they find a way to answer those questions the more gaps in our knowledge get filled and our understanding of how prevalent life is in the universe is enhanced. There may never be a definitive answer to that question unless were are able to travel in space and get 1st hand knowledge of whats out there, and that is highly improbably right now.

12. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

The limits of what a 'hospitable planet' is are unknown - they're acting on the unproven axiom the Earth and similar planets are the only hospitable ones but it's perfectly possible that there are lifeforms hitherto unimagined that could exist in who knows what environments.

13. 1izombie

They are starting from what they know, how life formed on this planet as a starting point as its a pretty good starting point as they know what is required here for life to sustain itself. That is why the Kepler satellite is searching for planets that are orbiting stars in the so called "goldielocks zone", which is the zone in which a planet would need to orbit a given star to allow the possibility of liquid water to be present on its surface. It maybe an unproven axiom but it doesn't mean its on shaky ground and how else does one prove a proposition other than to test it which they are attempting to do here.

14. IV2010

IV2010 Well-Known Member

I believe there are other 'life forms' ...in fact "God' could be one of them..
    I have always believed in UFOs and 'aliens'
    I often wonder if we're "Gods" (not in the religious sense) little ant farm :)

15. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

Highly unlikely that life, that differs radically from our own, will exist.

It has been proposed that alternative life could be silicon-based, yet no chemist would take such a notion seriously. Unless they were desperate to prop up a hopeless theory.

Silicon being too large to form double and triple bonds, it is incapable of producing the wide array of complex molecular structures associated with carbon-based life.

The structures it has been observed to make are simplistic, relatively unstable and highly reactionary. The largest consisting of only 6 silicon atoms, compared to the largest carbon-based molecules which consist of tens of thousands of atoms.

It also lacks chirality or 'handedness'. Carbon-based molecules being either left-handed or right-handed. All sugars are right-handed while all amino acids are left-handed, this despite there being a 50% chance of them being either left or right-handed, and supposedly coming about by chance, meaning that there should be a roughly 50% split between the two forms.

It's presence is also extremely rare in the known universe by comparison to carbon.

Total non-starter.

16. me1

me1 Well-Known Member

I wasnt attacking you. I was having a go at people that write articles with deliberately misleading titles such as 'Earth-like planet found', when in reality the 'likeness' is completely trivial, i.e. it is rocky as opposed to gaseous, making it 'like Earth' in this respect. We just have to ignore the constant volcanic eruptions over the entire bloody surface and the wild temperature fluctuations of thousands of degrees!

17. 1izombie

no worries i didnt take as such....i took it as merely a comment that i now understand your intent i agree with you and find it troubling that people get there science exposure from media headlines but fail to look at the issue in depth at times.

18. perry_mason

perry_mason Well-Known Member

OP said 'intelligent life forms'

no im not so sure about the intelligent part but im sure there is something out there.

not like E.T. in the movies or whatever but something like little bugs or may be even smaller but there has to be something.

and people who doubt it, i say look at deep sea exploration (which is interesting but weird as hell), people didnt think things could be down there but there are lifeforms down there under extreme pressure, temperatures etc total darkness, no oxygen, varying or lack of both predators and/or pray etc.

sorry to go OT a little but there is an interesting thing i remember that blows my mind (i dont know how true it is but i believe it though).
    we know more about space and other planets than we know whats below the oceans in the deep sea etc.

19. aoeu

aoeu Well-Known Member

He said "entirely distinct from life as we know it" not "silicon-based" (and our little lab experiments hardly discount silicon-based life forms, they merely show we can't [yet] produce complex silicon molecules in a lab). On earth there are things very similar to life constructed from metal, which obviously goes against the carbon paradigm. Now, you'd point out that it's not life, which is true, but our technology is merely in its infancy and in a few thousand years our creations could match every understanding of life we have without a single carbon or silicon atom associated.

Just because we can't conceive a non-carbon lifeform doesn't mean it can't exist.

It also occurs to me that a silicone substance is a long-chain molecule with an Si-O backbone. That could potentially form similar molecules from silicon to carbon, though not exactly the same on account of the oxygens not being able to bond outside of the backbone.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 13, 2010
  20. PiecesMended

PiecesMended Well-Known Member

My view on this depends on how I'm feeling. Right now I am not entirley convinced. But ask me in a month or so and I might be sure I'm being watched by aliens again. But when I'm not pshycotic or whatever it is, I believe there is some life out there, whether it's 'intelligent' or not I don't know.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.