Face to face with the Samaritans...

Discussion in 'I Have a Question...' started by Anju, Jan 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Anju

Anju Well-Known Member

Has anyone ever dropped into a centre for a face to face chat? I feel it could be a beneficial experience in some ways, but then am not sure if it would turn out any differently than the uncomfortable silences I experience with my therapist. Anyone got any insight on this matter? :unsure:
  2. andyc68

andyc68 Guest

i have only spoken to them via email so i dont know.
    best to ask joe as i think he is a member of the samaritans.
  3. Aaron

Aaron Well-Known Member

Or Jo....:wink:
  4. Abacus21

Abacus21 Staff Alumni

Hey Anju ...

I think the 'beneficial aspect' will depend on exactly what you're hoping to get out of the visit ... All a volunteer will do is listen to you - they're not there to give advice etc, but I'm sure ya know that already :) ..

The volunteer will ask you a few questions, in response to what you say - asking you about this and that.. As for silences - you share what you're willing to share - there's no pressure at all to say things that you don't want to say. Silence can be, while a bit uncomfortable at times, also valuable, as it lets you think about what you're gonna say next, or what you want to say.

If you don't want to talk about something, then don't - just focus on the bits that you do want to talk about, and speak about them ... as I say - there's no pressure on you to spill your guts about something that you don't want to.

I'm not sure how helpful this answer was to you, but I hope it's helped a little :)
  5. wheresmysheep

wheresmysheep Staff Alumni

I dropped into the samaritains here in dublin once,i was expecting guidence so for me,it wasnt what i was hoping for.i did however come away feeling lighter, though angry as i was expecting more.the are good listeners i cant fault them on that at all. Good luck if you do go :hug:
  6. porcelain child

porcelain child Well-Known Member

I only spoke to them on the phone and e-mailed them... but i guess talking face to face could be helpful... i dunno...

If you do go... good luck...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.