Facebook - Toxic to your self-esteem?

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by SAVE_ME, Jun 22, 2009.

?

Facebook - good or bad for your self-esteem?

1. Good

2 vote(s)
    6.1%
  2. Bad

18 vote(s)
    54.5%
  3. Other (please state)

13 vote(s)
    39.4%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAVE_ME

SAVE_ME Well-Known Member

What do you guys think? Do you think social networking sites (facebook, myspace, twitter etc.) are good or bad for your self-esteem? Why/why not?

2. plates

plates Well-Known Member

those sites are a garish farce. i've often wondered what my social networking profile would look like , (i'd actually started making a mock one a year ago from the layout of my MH letters- it was brutal)

i'm sure a lot of people may find it helps their self esteem if they have little themselves. and anyway, we live in a world where with a group of people, everyone is trying to come across as 'different' or 'quirky' or so so fucking cool or unique and trying to establish some firm sense of who they are- and some people use a MS profile as a way to do this, just like buying/ wearing a new outfit. some people take what they see as real. the desperation in making and communicating through an online identity and all the sparkliness as real. i have to admit, at one time i did feel very intimidated by what i saw but i wasn't used to all that and some people have spent years and years on those sites. i am glad i don't have to look at a MS profile again.

it depends what a person uses it for. some people are putting their music/film/ art out there and use it for getting their work seen/around. some people have a bazillion 'friends' and are obviously anxious about either not having any or ...whatever, i don't know. some people use it to escape, create a 'self' that is so far from the unhappiness of their own lives and i've had people stalk/harrass/bully me with these problems. i bet no one would be their 'friend' if they advertised themselves as 'i drink every night to....i do this/that/the other' and bully others.

it's really funny knowing people in real life and looking at their MS/facebook profiles. i stumbled across an old friend and tellin' ya , first reaction was WTF am i seeing, and "I am not surprised- hahahaha!" :biggrin: he probably finds it helpful for him, or maybe he was having a laugh, but with him...i really do think he secretely wanted a facebook profile, sunglasses, suit and pose, all the time i knew him a few years back. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 22, 2009
  3. Random

Random Well-Known Member

Facebook is toxic to your brain cells.

4. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Good because I can meet people that way but bad because they are so addicting and I don't ever meet people other ways.

5. The_8th_Wonder

The_8th_Wonder senior Member

Horrid: for mine anyway. Makes me feel so terrible about myself when I look through the pictures, chat, etc.

6. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

Actually, I just met a wonderful girl on facebook. I am so happy. Would never have happened without the magic of facebook haha

7. Pad

Pad Well-Known Member

I don't think it affects self esteem. I do believe it makes people with low self esteem feel bad though

8. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

I think all social networking sites are bad for your self esteem. I know they make me feel awful..

9. snowraven

snowraven Well-Known Member

I think it depends on the person. I've managed to get back in touch with a few people I had lost contact with which has been good.

10. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

It really varies. Facebook is great because it does help one locate their loved ones, which was the main drive behind it's creation (presumably). Heck my mom and dad have managed to reach family from Venezuela and Lebanon, respectfully. For me it's a good way to keep in touch with people too, especially if you have a busy schedule.

I could see how it could make someone feel lonely, especially with how ego-driven a lot of these sites are.

11. wibble

wibble Well-Known Member

I like facebook. I use it an awful lot.

What does annoy me to be honest is people adding friends and stuff just to get higher numbers, it ends up like an internet dick wagging contest.

but I find it useful for remembering birthdays, getting embarassing photos of my friends and just generally having a laugh.

Someone's going to have to explain the toxic argument to me, I can't get my head round it.

12. cookiemonster

cookiemonster Banned Member

facebook can help you to realize how many friends you have but can depress you when you realize all of them are ignoring you :sad:

13. Confusticated

Confusticated Well-Known Member

They're terrible. They're always totally based on how you look. Someone will only message you if they think you're attractive most of the time. What the hell's that about? Sure they're great if you're "pretty", but what about those who don't have obvious beauty?

14. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I do not have my friends on facebook, no one really contacts me on it. It is a disease, I go on to check on a girl i fancy and what my friends (if you can call them that) do without me.

15. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Depends on the individual. Everything in moderation and you'll be okay.

16. confuzzle

confuzzle Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Depends on what you are usin it for as well.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.