• Apologies for the issue with a bizarre redirect on the site earlier today. There was a large server update and an error in an IP address had the traffic routing wrongly. No hacking or anything nefarious and nothing to worry about. Sorry for any stress/anxiety caused. Very best wishes - SF Admin

Failure to launch

Legate Lanius

So I'm 22 and a failure to launch. A blank resume (writing down the actual experiences would reduce the chance of getting a job, since they're walk-outs, getting fired and dropping out of uni twice/thrice). Dependent on parents, of course. Never had a girlfriend and haven't had a friend in 5-8 years or something. Recently quit a job after my feet getting blisters since the job required walking, that combined with the mental distress of uncertainty that comes with job/education. You're not 100% sure you're getting paid, that you got the right schedule, etc.

Now, I was watching some stuff online about others like myself. NEETs, hikikomori, etc. And I came across the failure to launch syndrome, which I am an obvious sufferer of. When watching this stuff I sort of realized and felt like I should leave the decisions about my life completely to myself. That I needed to see what I really, really, wanted for myself. That I had to rely on myself to accomplish what I wanted. Right there and then was when I realized that I really had to kill myself, that it was up to me to do that. That postponing it wasn't helping, just making everyone judge me harsher "haha, he's 22 and a manchild... haha he's 23 and a manchild... haha he's 24 and a manchild...". So when I place agency in my own hands fully, the suicidal impulse becomes extremely strong and overwhelming.

Anyway, post your own experiences with failure to launch. Whether your own or family members/friends. How can this be dealt with without increasing pressure or "lighting the fire under your feet" which makes certain people really close to committing suicide?

cots

I'm not sure what failure to launch syndrome is exactly but I think I failed to launch too.

I'm in my thirties and though I have a bachelors degree I don't do anything with it. I'm doing a part time job now to pay my bills and nothing else. I cannot stand a full time job because i might go mad so I take up freelance gigs, etc, things that don't require me to commit.

A lot of people around me are holding management level positions or have their own startups but I'm just here, wanting to die every day. I hate social situations because people would try to humble-brag about how successful they are to me. I also get questions like "don't you want to achieve more?" And no, I don't want anything. I just want to disappear. How's that for an answer? Oh it's not a socially acceptable answer? Fudge it!

To deal with this I stay away from people. Not the best idea from the psychologist's POV but it works for me. I don't see a point in putting myself through the sheer torture of listening to people nag at me or laugh at my failures. As if I don't already know my flaws.

Anyway I'm just sharing how I deal with this. It might probably be a better idea to consult a therapist.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$185.00
Goal
$255.00