Falsely accused, life ruined :D

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by TWF, Feb 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

What's up guys, I feel this is truly the end of the line for me, I basically have no future. Reason being I was falsely accused of causing abuse recently (not sexual if you're wondering....), however I was found to be NOT guilty. GREAT one might think, my name should be cleared now.
    But no, that is not the case even though I am innocent, here in the UK charges brought against you remain on record for life for employers to see through extended CRB checks.

This means it is virtually a criminal record, because which employer will take somebody with ''abuse allegations'' on their extended CRB over somebody with a clean slate? That's right, none... Especially since I want to work in the public sector within the police force:laugh:

Too bad I live in a state where the innocent are still punished, and too bad I have to carry this burden through my life forever knowing I haven't done anything. I doubt I'll get a job with anxiety, depression and a fucking abuse charge on my name, icing on top of the cake.

My family knows I'm depressed so that's the one positive I can take from this and they've tried to give me kind words. However, I am rational, it would be false to think this charge won't affect me later in life, it obviously will. Even my mother admits I'll have to mention the arrest to employers.

The false accusation will follow me like a criminal conviction and I'll be thrown out of every job interview because that's how it works in the UK, I'm sure those of you reading this also think less of me. Don't worry, I do too and that is perfectly understandable. I am an alleged abuser after all.

I don't think I've ever been this depressed, maybe once but this is definitely up there. I seriously think I can go through with it now unlike ever before. I still can't believe this happened to me out of all people, even I never expected myself to ever get into trouble with the police, but I'm putting it down to destiny....

2. jaybirdssis

jaybirdssis Member

Thank God you were found not guilty. My brother was not guilty but spent 16 years in prison because he had a lawer who said it didn't matter. The allegation was enough so just plead no contest and you'll be let go. Ha! People are smarter than you think - if you're open and honest about the arrest, you can get past it.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 17, 2011
  3. Terry

Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

4. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

Which human rights could I claim to have been infringed, or what sort of case would I have to bring up? If you don't mind guiding me, I'm not too familiar with this...

You are right in what you say but there is no doubt that this will be a massive burden on me. Maybe some employers won't mind, but 90% probably will in this competitive market, everything counts and there are countless people without charges whom they can/would rather employ...

5. dazzle11215

dazzle11215 Staff Alumni

i sympathize. i have a criminal record for something stupid i did years ago. wish i could go back and have a redo. here in canada they ask something like "do you have a criminal record for which you have NOT received a pardon" ... so i went and got a pardon. maybe there will be a similar clause on your job applications.

despite the criminal record i know i'm a good person. my last workplace knew about it (HR department only) and it was a non issue. they loved me and promoted me lots over the 10 plus years i was with them. just saying it might not be the end of the world at the right workplace.

6. anonmn

anonmn Active Member

That's got to be frustrating. Even outside of the UK news articles published online have a way of becoming your permanent "google record," you could say. Before I lost my job in the business I always went back to old articles and edited them whenever a person was cleared, and wrote a new and current one about it.

If you think they might do a background check, maybe you could mention it beforehand? Talk about it so they see how it has affected you emotionally?

How did it happen, by the way? Was it a spiteful ex-wife? It's fairly common for them to make things up during divorce, at least over here in the States.

7. Dave_N

Dave_N Banned Member

Wow, UK laws truly suck. So if someone wants to ruin someone's life, all they have to do is tell the cops that they were assaulted/abused by that person? Glad I live in Canada. As a teacher, that would really suck.

8. Box

Box New Member

not sure how this applies but theres changed being made in the law coming up. conviceted sex offenders are able to apeal to have their names taken off the registry (im not saying your a sex offender!). surely if they can have their name taken off for actually doing stuff your record can be cleaned though?

9. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

I think it depends on what you want to work as, some employers might take me but I imagine most won't. Here they check your entire record, 1 stain on it and they might not employ you, especially in sensitive areas of the work force. FML.

I don't have a criminal record, only an arrest and charge which was dropped... but the charge will show up on enhanced CRB checks which almost all employers in the UK do. This includes info like arrests, charges, cautions etc. so it's like a criminal record. You cannot get rid of CRB information, your record is never entirely cleared in this country, employers will be able to access it if they must.

I'd rater not discuss what happened, maybe in future though. I assure you though, it was not worth this.

I could be upfront about it, but abuse is a serious charge, I doubt many employers would want to risk employing me.... ah well great, my life is over. I've already planned a time when I'll do it, I don't care anymore. End of the line.

10. Cpt-Fantastic

Cpt-Fantastic Banned Member

being falsely accused is fucked up, i dont know much about the english legal system but here in the netherlands when you have been found innocent, you can get that shit wiped off, have you tried talking to a good lawyer? if you've been falsely accused you can try to call your lawyer and ask if you can take legal action against the people who wrongly accused you for defamation and possibly get it wiped of that way, dont let this get you down, if you could turn that frustration into energy you could do great things, and maybe if you're joining the police and explain the situation that you did nothing wrong, but were through the legal system it could count as experience that other sollicitants lack. i heard of doctors who became patients and found it a very useful experience for their own line of work. hopefully it could turn into positive things, i hope you make it through

11. Terry

I'm not terribly au fait with the law, so I guess if it was me, my first port of call would be the Citizens Advice Bureau.
    If that fails, many solicitors have a free half hour consultation where you would at least get pointed in the right direction, who knows one might even be interested enough to take your case pro bono.

12. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

The accuser was under the age of reason so nothing will happen. I can never get it wiped off CRB without taking it to court, a hard task for a 17y/o. Even juvenile charges don't get wiped in this country, ha. Never even had previous contact with police in any form and all that was needed was a pinch mark which I wasn't even alleged to have inflicted to get me charged... unlucky me. BULLSHIT.

I'll phone the solicitor about what I might be able to do to get this bullshit cleaned if possible, hopefully he can help.

13. GoldenPsych

GoldenPsych Well-Known Member

It doesn't show arrests. I was arrested and given a section 5 public order offence of drunk and disorderly. At the same time I was arrested for assault. I had enhanced disclosure done for social work and nothing shows up like that. I asked the police when he was letting me out about it. He said although remains on their system as if it happened again would be more serious but it would not come up on anything official. All you should have is the police record of why you were arrested and why you weren't charged. You should be fine.

The only way it could have negative effect on you is if the allegator held on to their allegations and didn't admit they were false and they didn't charge you as there wasn't enough evidence.

x

14. TWF

TWF Well-Known Member

They already charged me though, a charge does show up and it's more serious. The accuser was below the age of reason so the allegation couldn't be pulled back by the person because social services filed it.:grr:

15. Terry

Know what, your best course of action might be to just front up at interviews.
    If you explain at the job interview exactly what happened and then they check it must surely show that it went no further.
    It's not as if we haven't had a lot of this happening lately, especially with teachers being accused then either being vindicated or the matter not being pursued.
    I'd still nip into your local CAB, it might be that as you are under 18 the record will be sealed on your coming of age.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.