Falsely accused.

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Remedy, Jun 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Remedy

Remedy Chat & Forum Buddy

My parents are both convinced I'm throwing up, seeing as I'm eating better and still losing weight. It's actually because I'm going to the gym and running.
    I try and explain it to them but it goes over their heads. So I suggested taking me to the dentist, but apparently I know all the ways around that?
    Is there anything I can do? It bothers me that they think I lie.
  2. Brighid Moon

Brighid Moon Member & Antiquities Friend

Show them on the computer or get a simple book that explains about weight loss and exercise?

My dad always thought I lied when I didn't. It's a horribly demeaning and disempowering, not to mention frustrating experience. You have my sympathy. :hug: Sometimes there's notning you can do at all, but just let them be ignorant.
  3. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Hey Mel,

I'm sorry they don't believe you.That must be frustrating.
    I'm not sure what you could do to make them believe you but perhaps eating in front of them, having meals with them..would help a bit? :unsure:
  4. Hurted

Hurted Well-Known Member

The problem is that your parents are very uneducated or that they are worrying way too much.

Buy them a book about ED.

Take care
  5. Remedy

They've both had a lot of experience with dieting / fitness. My dad was a body builder and my mum's been dieting for years (she also used to be bulimic and compulsively over exercise) so they shouldn't be this stupid really. A year ago I was diagnosed with an ED, I guess that's where they're getting their ideas from.
    Thank you for your replies, I'll just have to let them continue being ignorant.
  6. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

How frustrating! I know how you feel... My parents used to think, for a period one year ago, that I purged when I didn't do it. Be around your parents after meals, so that they can see that you don't lie. That's what I did and after a month they realized that they had mistaken.
  7. Rose24

Rose24 Chat & Forum Buddy

Dear olive, I’m a little concerned that you’re still losing weight. Even if you aren't purging be careful dear! Please don’t let the exercising get compulsive and unhealthy. Trust is a fragile thing and you can’t blame your parents for being wary, all you can do it give it time and ensure that they know you are being healthy about your body image (which I hope you are).

If you need me, I’m always here for you *hug*

tc and be safe

8. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Just curious what your height and weight are to understand why they are so worried. Other than that, maybe a doctor appointment would satisfy them.
  9. Remedy

Thank you for your replies all, they mean a lot to me. :smile: I'm 5'6.5 and 120lbs as of this morning, which isn't even underweight. :dry:
    My eating is so up and down that my weight doesn't go too far in any direction.
  10. yursomedicated

yursomedicated Chat & Forum Buddy

I think the only thing that is important with this is that YOU know that it's not an ED. I agree with everyone else and shades that maybe you should see a doctor. Maybe even talk to a therapist about it. I hope everything turns out well and I'm always here for you.
  11. triggs

triggs Account Closed

hey hun, i know this can be really annoying. my parents are always checking up on me when i eat and when i don't. maybe they're just unaware that you're going to the gym as much as you do.. do you tell them you are? i know it's horrible when they think you're lying but there's not much you can do until they realise they're wrong.
    hope things get better and you can talk to me whenever you want :heart: thinking of you
  12. shades

shades Staff Alumni

Thanks for the relply. Sounds like you are a picture of health. Maybe suggest a doctor appt. with your folks present just to finally get them off your back. Don't they see that you're healthy?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.