Family Drama

Discussion in 'Suicidal Thoughts and Feelings' started by familyguy, Feb 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. familyguy

familyguy New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm a 34 year old indian (south asian) guy living in LA. I am married to who I think is a decent woman. However, I have recently come to learn that she is one of the most pessimistc people I know. She brings me down every day. She makes me cry. She insults me. She always points to negative things. She yells at me. She is verbally abusive. She has almost no family values. Where I come from in India, family values are important. Case in point: my mom is visiting and staying with us. I like to treat my mom respectfully. My wife gets jealous, and she makes me feel like I love my mom more than her. She even tells me that. I go out of my way to make my wife happy, so it completely irritates me when she indicates otherwise.

Last week, my mom and wife got into a heated argument. My mom asked about giving my 10 month old daughter some milk to stop her crying. My wife exploded and told my mom, "why do you keep insisting on giving her milk"? Her tone was very negative. My mom felt bad, started crying, and explained to my wife the reason why she came to visit was to take care of us, not to hurt us. To make a long story short, there is so much tension in the house, and I'm caught in the middle.

I have many reasons for writing this post. Of course, I would like to hear from some of you and get some advice.

Appreciate any feedback. Thanks.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2013
  2. Sadeyes

Sadeyes Staff Alumni

Hi and welcome...It sounds like family counseling might be helpful, especially since this is so devastating to you...if your wife is resistant, than maybe you can go and see what you can do to effect change (if possible). Is your wife aware of how she treats you and does she state any concern? Have you set limits with her regarding how she can treat you? I think we teach people how to behave around us if they do not have the intrinsic abilities to be compassionate. How does she treat your child? If her hostility is also shown to your child, this is very concerning. It sounds like your wife has problems beyond the manner in which she interacts with you. Has there been any discussion of these issues? These are some of my initial impressions. I hope you know that no one, regardless of their relationship to you, has the right to abuse you and you have the obligation to yourself and your child to protect yourself.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.