Family Issues?

Discussion in 'Family, Friends and Relationships' started by brknsilence, Jul 26, 2016.

1. brknsilence

brknsilence Well-Known Member

Not sure where to put this.

It's a long, frustrating story on everything that has happened in the past with my side of the family. I won't go into details because I could write a book on it. But to keep it short, I don't trust my side of the family.

Seems like they always have something negative to say or find some way of controlling my life.

Anyways, my step mom had contacted my husband and I about getting together close to where we live on August 6&7th. I feel nervous and I'm trying not to let my thoughts run wild.

I'm nervous on how it will go. My stepmom always brings up their schooling. My husband and I repeatedly told her our decision on it and the decision will never change.

I may need to ask my husband under no circumstances will he ever leave my side when we see them. Last thing I want is to be alone with them and them throwing out some comments or questions where I feel so uncomfortable and not sure how to respond. My husband does a lot better then I do regarding those situations. I feel like I'm backed into a corner unable to go anywhere.

I hate feeling like this. I want to be comfortable with my side of the family instead it's filled with panic.

:(

2. Rockclimbinggirl

Rockclimbinggirl SF climber Staff Member Safety & Support

I am sorry that you do not trust your family. I know what you mean, I do not like some of my family either.

Do you have to see her in person, like could you just talk to her on the phone or offer to Skype.

I am glad to hear your husband will be with you. *hugs*

iam likes this.
  3. brknsilence

We're seeing them in person for a couple of days.

4. Rockclimbinggirl

Will they being staying overnight at your house.

Keep them busy so they do not have a lot of time to question you.

Or you could start off by saying I would appreciate that during this visit you do not critisize how I am bringing up my children. It is my/our decision not yours.

brknsilence and iam like this.
  5. brknsilence

We're going camping. My kids are excited but I'm the only one dreading this visit

6. Rockclimbinggirl

Will there be an option of doing different things during the day as this person. Like going off for a hike or a swim.

brknsilence likes this.
  7. brknsilence

I think we can do a ton of things. I think my dad is bringing his boat which I won't be able to go on - so maybe a good thing.

8. DadzTruk

DadzTruk Member

brknsilence,

I’m sorry you are dreading this, but maybe your step-mom and dad are just trying to reach out to you. You may be right and they may have other motives, but try not to assume the worst and worry about it before it happens. A lady I used to work with, who was a very bold person, once said that no one can belittle you or make you feel “less than” unless you allow it by agreeing with them. Try not to allow yourself to feel backed in a corner. Your decisions are your decisions and while it would be great for there to be agreement between you and them, it is by no means required. Don’t let others, no matter who they are, steal your joy. Praying for you to be confident in who you are and that you completely enjoy yourself and your family.

brknsilence likes this.
  9. brknsilence

Thanks

I hope it goes well. Still feeling scared about the visit. Sad thing is, is it's only me who feels this way. Everyone else is good. I guess it's good that only I'm suffering with this and no one else. Meaning, I have to work through this.

DadzTruk likes this.
  10. DadzTruk

DadzTruk Member

You can do it. I'm sure of it. Praying that you will be filled with peace and joy. That you will have more fun than anyone else there. You've got this.

brknsilence likes this.
  11. brknsilence

Thanks

I hope I do have fun and not dread every second. I hope to reply at the end of the visit that the visit was great. Hope so.

12. DrownedFishOnFire

DrownedFishOnFire Quieta non movere

Sorry just saw this thread, hope it went better than ancipated for you

13. brknsilence

Went okay but had it's moments. Going to post how it went under my diary "Brknsilence Diary" soon