Family member gone overboard

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by Meta, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meta

    Meta Active Member

    My mother has had a mental breakdown, and I've no idea what to do.
    She hasn't been sober in months, she disappears for days and leaves us with no money or food, then screams and threatens us when there's nothing in the house. She steals money from me, threatens my 16 year old sister with violence. She's dellusional, also. She thinks everyone is out to get her, that I'm wasting money although she's the one stealing it all, can't tell the difference between today and two weeks ago.
    I'm at my wits end, just a few days ago she wrapped her car around a lamp post and everytime she comes home all she can do is blame us for everything. She says she wants to drink herself to death.
    Can't reason with her, can't get her to listen, she's completely snapped and I don't know what to do, or who to call. We have no family or close friends to rely on.
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  2. Terry

    Terry Antiquities Friend Staff Alumni

    I take it you have a family doctor?
    Get in touch with them as soon as possible and make him/her come round to assess your mum, sounds like she might need to be hospitalised for a bit. :hug:
  3. may71

    may71 Well-Known Member

    hey, sorry to hear that things are so bad.

    you could try NDVH

    National Domestic Violence Hotline
    24 hour hotline phone: 800.799.SAFE (800.799.7233)
    who they help: victims, survivors, family, parents, friends, offenders, community leaders. A resource to anyone who may have concerns about relationship being unhealthy or abusive

    has info on child welfare, plus links to all of the organizations listed below
    the direct link to the org list
  4. total eclipse

    total eclipse SF Friend Staff Alumni

    Hey if your mom is doing this you can call a crisis line theywill call for some help for you Phone okay get someone there if your mom is violent call the police they will take her to get help too. You have to keep you and your sister safe.
    I am so sorry you are having to deal with this and you shouldn't have to do this alone. You need to call for help okay call the crisis line or authorites and get some help for your mom and for you :cheekkiss:cheekkiss
  5. CatherineC

    CatherineC Staff Alumni

    Meta, how old are you and where are you? (As in country, don't need further info than that)
    This is too much for you to be dealing with on your own and you need some professional help.
    Phone one of the help lines. PM me if you need to talk
  6. Euphoria

    Euphoria Member

    Seems like the "snapping" at you and just going off is an early onsite symptom of bi-polarism or she could be schzo. I would suggest you call a help hotline. She needs to be hospitalized before she does harm to someone, and she will (trust me)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.