Famous people with depression

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Hache, Dec 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

I find this could be a very motivational topic in the fight against depression.

However, in the interests of preventing triggering, unless you can come up with a motivational factor, the likes of Elvis Presley and Kurt Cobain who lost their battles should be avoided.

I'd like to start off with a man who means a lot to me with motivation, a trually inspirational character. This man is the greatest in the history of my nation (Great Britain), he battled manic depression throughout his life starting in his youth, he is one of if not the most important men of the 20th century, some say that his manic depression actually helped him become one of the greatest war time leaders ever. He has probably made more inspirational, moving and important speeches than anyone else on record. He once spoke of his depression saying;

"I don't like standing near the edge of a platform when an express train is passing through. I like to stand right back and if possible get a pillar between me and the train. I don't like to stand by the side of a ship and look down into the water. A second's action would end everything. A few drops of desperation."

I am of course talking about Sir Winston Churchill, a man who never surrendered to depression.

A few of his speech lines
    "Never give in--never, never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in except to convictions of honour and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy."

"to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone"

"we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."

"Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this Island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands."

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 20, 2009
  2. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Buzz Aldrin is a good example, as we all know he was the 2nd man on the moon. I don't know whether he suffered from it before and during his space flight, but if he did that only makes him more awesome and awe-inspiring.

From this site: http://depression.about.com/od/famous/Famous_People_With_Depression.htm
    there are a few notable people who have suffered from depression, like J.K Rowling (who was suicidally depressed), Jim Carrey, Rodney Dangerfield and Vincent Van Gogh to name a few.

3. Hache

Hache Well-Known Member

good site

It is very comforting to think I can fight this and be someone, I might feel worthless now but I am not alone

4. Tobes

Tobes Well-Known Member

Yes it proves that depression and suicidal ideation is not a be all and end all. If these people can get through it and make something of themselves, there's no reason anyone on this forum can't either, unless they're morbidly ill or something, but I don't know of anyone here that is. For me, it's quite inspiring.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2009
  5. Mikeintx

Mikeintx Well-Known Member

Thanks Hache for creating a thread that is uplifting, we should have more of these around here ;)

6. Xaos

Xaos Well-Known Member

/Agree

7. mike25

mike25 Well-Known Member

Abraham Lincoln, Mel Gibson.

8. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

Well done Hache. There is scarcely a famous figure - religious, political, artistic, and so on - that didn't battle what appeared to be some form of depression. Traditionally for some circles, the 'oddness' and malaise associated with depression was considered the by-product of genius. All those seen as intelligent or gifted were often expected to have some sort of 'quirkiness' to their character.

At the same time, though, to admit to melancholia was a difficult thing, especially for strong people like Churchill, the man who stopped Hitler in his tracks. Seeing the best, brightest, and most influential people of the world deal with sadness is truly inspiring, and should remind people that depression is hardly a symptom of the weak. If anything, it only reinforces one's strength.

Any of us could be a Lincoln or Churchill ;)

9. Scully

Scully Well-Known Member

Gillian Anderson, Hugh Laurie.

10. ~Claire

~Claire Well-Known Member

Gail Porter & I also find Stephen Fry to be very inspirational.

11. Bob26003

Bob26003 Well-Known Member

Jim Carrey!

Depression:
    Best known for his lively physical comedy and almost rubber like facial expressions, Jim Carrey revealed in a 2004 60 Minutes interview that the inspiration for his funniness was "desperation".

Carrey said of his youth, "I had a sick mom, man. I wanted to make her feel better. Basically, I think she laid in bed and took a lot of pain pills. And I wanted to make her feel better. And I used to go in there and do impressions of praying mantises, and weird things, and whatever. I'd bounce off the walls and throw myself down the stairs to make her feel better."

At the age of 16 he went through even more difficult times. "My family kinda hit the skids. We were experiencing poverty at that point. We all got a job, where the whole family had to work as security guards and janitors. And I just got angry," says Carrey. "I was angry at the world for doing that to my father. I wanted to bash somebody's head in, basically."

Even though Carrey worked hard and achieved great success in his career, he still suffered from depression. In the 60 Minutes interview he explained, "There are peaks, there are valleys. But they're all kind of carved and smoothed out, and it feels like a low level of despair you live in. Where you're not getting any answers, but you're living OK. And you can smile at the office. You know? But it's a low level of despair." Carrey further revealed, "I was on Prozac for a long time. It may have helped me out of a jam for a little bit, but people stay on it forever. I had to get off at a certain point because I realized that, you know, everything's just OK."

He no longer takes Prozac or an other drug, but instead copes through spirituality. "I rarely drink coffee. I'm very serious about no alcohol, no drugs. Life is too beautiful."

12. tiggersafire

tiggersafire Well-Known Member

At the children's psych ward that I stayed at a few months ago they had a board up that said "Mental Health Affects Everyone" and it listed celebrities with disorders such as OCD, depression, Bipolar, etc. I thought it was kind of cool to see that a lot of people deal with and overcome mental health problems. I remember Whoopi Goldberg, Roseanne, Jim Carey, and Howie Mandel being some of the people on the board. It even listed Einstein.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.