Fanaticism

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Kemra, Oct 8, 2010.

?

Are you a fanatic?

1. Yes!

4 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Nope!

10 vote(s)
    58.8%
  3. Whats fanaticism?

3 vote(s)
    17.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Spent most of my afternoon reading old posts, peoples comments, religious views and so on. They got me thinking about my own views on things and how many times over the years I've changed my beliefs in certain subjects. For example I was a mad conspiracy theorist in my early 20's, now I look back and laugh at myself for believing that crap about NASA never having landed men on the moon and similar wild tales.

Anyway I went from thinking about that to how some people are so single-minded on certain subjects with no room for a different theory or belief system and that got me thinking of fanaticism. Now Fanaticism isn't always a bad thing, it just has a bad rep thanks to terrorists and the like. I'm asking people to be honest and admit (or not) are you a fanatic? And if so what about? Baseball? Religion? Politics?

Starting off the discussion I'm not a fanatic, I have beliefs, interests, opinions and such, but I'm always open to the fact I might be wrong and am always open to ideas better than mine or that make more sense. I don't care for sport, don't go out of my way to watch any tv shows, don't even have any collections or hobbys apart from the internet. So nope, not fanatical about anything.

2. KittyGirl

KittyGirl Well-Known Member

hmmm... I think I like alot of things fairly evenly. There's nothing I'm super-crazy about anymore.
    When I was a child, I loved anime -- I still have hundreds of action figures, models, posters and DVD's and things that I'd collected.
    So, I suppose I was a fanatic for anime at one time but not so much anymore.
    I still like it but not to that extent.

Now, what do I like?
    ...hmm... vintage things? antiques? rococo art, lolita fashion~ I like pretty things.
    I'm not really fanatical about it/them/stuff though.

3. boo

boo Well-Known Member

obsessed, might qualitfy for me but not fanaticism. :mellow:

4. alison

alison Well-Known Member

I think I'm the opposite of what you're describing. I'm miserable at debates, because I can always see both sides to an issue, and tend to agree with the person I'm debating with. I don't know if its a self-esteem thing, but I can never ever hold onto my opinions to even really remember what they are. I hate myself for it, and I think of myself as a really flat person. But ehh.. at least I'm not ingrained in stupid beliefs? I don't know which is worse lol.

5. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

So do I sometimes, the trick with debating is to remember you aren't fighting for truth, you're fighting for your side.

Also, as Krishnamurti said, people that constantly reiterate their beliefs do so out of fear. As George Carlin put it, they keep saying it as if to convince themselves.

6. Mordeci

Mordeci Banned Member

I am a fanatic actuaclly about relegion and politicis, but I am not a right wing fanatic I am a left wing fanatic. I have always been attracted to damaged people so at a very young age I saw broken homes, drug addictions, prosituition, abuse, hell right now I live across the street from a drug treatment/methadone clinic. I read alot as a child and one of the most important works I read was by Karl Marx who said that "relegion is the opiate of the masses" I backed off from comunism as I got older but I belive that quote to be true, I see people cling to relegion like a life perserver instead of trying to make this world a better place, I can't tell you how much that angers me. As for politics I grew up idolizing the Kenedys and ACLU lawyers so you can see where my political affilation lies. But if I could as much hapiness as relegion might bring some people, I would give my life to take it away from them. To destroy the concept of god for man and force him to think from a secular view point, the world would be better off. By the same token if I could I would give my life to destroy to concept of regannomics, the tea party, neo-con thinking and all the other stuff. It relys on fear and brings nothing intelectually to the table. So for thoese reasons I guess I could be classified as a fanatic.

7. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Hmm, too late to change my vote in my own poll.. was chatting to a in-game friend on warcraft and he pointed out I have 9 level 80 characters, all 'geared' (in other words I've spent up to a 100 hours playing each of them). Also I've been to the midnight launches of both the last expansions, was a member of one of the top raiding guilds. Before WoW I played eq2 for a number of years with a similar passion, before that Ultima Online..

So that makes me an online gaming fanatic.. funny how it slipped my mind, maybe because I haven't played in the month or so since I've been in hospital... doh!

And boo! You tease.. admitting you have an obsession and then not saying what it is.. I've been wondering about it ever since I read your post!

Plus just to clarify a bit, fanaticism is not just about arguing, debating and so on, I'll let wiki give a nice description :)

8. Krem

Krem Well-Known Member

My name is Krem, and I'm a fanatic.

9. nolonger

nolonger Well-Known Member

NINE LVL 80's???? OMG.

Lol, I only have 4 80's. Ive been playing for maybe 4 odd years, with like 50 different characters...my younger brothers used to keep making more and more alts that they felt like playing :laugh:. I might go to the midnight launch of Cata, because I'll be on holidays at the coast and I'll probly have a mate with me :tongue:.

Yes I'm somewhat of a fanatic. Not about WoW though, lol. That's more of an addiction or a way of reclusing myself. I haven't played a shitload lately because it's just so boring when you know an expansion is coming out within a month or two, I just don't see the point in doing anything when the 'end' is within sight.

I'm really into 'what's after death'. Like the possibilities of an afterlife/reincarnation, religion etc. History, I like reading about that a lot. Same with UFO's and things revolving around them. And the supernatural, that's pretty wicked :tongue:. Many things fascinate me in the end, just depends how I feel at that point in time :laugh:.

10. KittyGirl

---- lol. double post.

11. KittyGirl

haha ><
    It's hard *not* to be a WoW fanatic when you first get into it.
    Holy crap- I was glued to my computer for months when I first got my WoW account!!

...those times are over though~ I had to quit cold turkey and go into bad world of warcraft withdrawl because I was so addicted to it. haha

I got the WoW shakes!! :nerves:

12. Kemra

Kemra Well-Known Member

Not sure if I'm addicted or not.. I play fanatically, but if I can't afford the account or something happens like a month or so in hospital I don't crave it. I just prefer WoW and online games to watching tv :)

Longroad and Kitty you should both come play on my server! :biggrin:

Hmm, would an addiction count as fanatacism..? Just thinking about one of my exes and how she used to argue the disgusting cheap wine she drank everyday was not hurting her and how she wasn't an alcoholic.. thats certainly fanatic behaviour.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.