Fascination With Death

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Zurkhardo, Mar 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I posted this in Depression but I don't think it belonged there.

Does anyone else have a fascination with death, even though you're not necessarily suicidal? It may seem to be a redundant question to ask in this kind of a forum but I'm curious. I feel strange being interested in how dying feels or the motivations of suicidal people. I'm afraid of death, so perhaps that's a motivator. Humans have always been preoccupied with their mortality, but I feel the modern world - at least the developed parts - are so detached from death that it's more taboo to discuss, much less take an interest in.

2. Descendant

Descendant Account Closed

Americans are especially bad about this. Our culture has a way of dealing with death that is much less personal and far more removed than just about anywhere in the world, and it's because we're so arrogant that we simply like to think of ourselves as immortal in one way or another. Death doesn't become something real for most people until they're on the death bed themselves or accompany someone through the dying and process and watch it happen in front of them instead of on CNN. Not everyone is like this but the majority are.

I think very few people in our consumer driven material based culture rarely give death any real thought other than "I'll just go to heaven", but who can blame them? It's a scary thing to think about and too easy to become obsessed with, and which inevitably for some leads to a constant state of despair and foreboding that disrupts their entire lives. In the end I think most people choose to ignore the subject because they know they can't afford to contemplate on it for too long or too deeply without becoming consumed - because then they end up on a suicide forum.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2012
  3. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

I'm not necessarily obsessed with death or fascinated with death, but I guess I'd say I'm interested in it. I belong to a website that has pictures of people after they die like, in autopsies, and I just find it interesting how the body looks after all life is taken from it. I've watched documentaries on death, there was one good episode on death on the "taboo" television series. I like being informed about what happens after life is done doing it's duty. Death does seem like a very taboo subject, simply because like Descendant said, it's a scary thing to think/talk about. Just something about the death process, like what happens afterwards (cremation, burial, death portraits, embalming), really interests me. I'm not a gore freak or anything. I may end up taking a class on death and dying in the near future, actually, since I want to volunteer at a hospice when I get a little older so I can help those who are about to experience death.

4. Zurkhardo

Thanks for the replies guys. Quite a lot to reflect on. I'm glad I'm not alone in contemplating this topic.

5. Growing Pains

Growing Pains Well-Known Member

I am obsessed with death.

There. I said it.

And not just suicide, either. Though I am suicidal.

I would never admit it outside of this forum, because I agree that America is very bad about making it taboo. Any fascination with death immediately warrants a trip to a psychiatrist and a handful of anti-depressants, despite whether or not the person in question actually needs such treatment. I don't think there is anything wrong with wondering about it. I often hear that being too obsessed with it is a symptom of depression, but I'm not sure that I agree with that. I think that fearing it and/or obsessively thinking about your own death or the death of those you care about might be a symptom of depression... but I do not think that a fascination with death in general is. It's funny, though, that if I said this to anyone I know offline... I would be told to get help or I would instantly be feared (because obviously, such thoughts make me a dangerous person... not actually, but according to society). Society has turned something that's entirely normal into something that's "evil". But honestly, what do you expect from society? It has a track record of doing such to normal things. I can't say whether my own obsession is normal (I often feel it isn't), but I can say that I think the subject is far more taboo than it should be.

Perhaps there is some truth to those of us being obsessed with it needing "help". I will not comment much further on that. I am on a suicide forum, so I feel I am not in any position to form an opinion there.

6. Zurkhardo

I wholeheartedly agree, and I can certainly relate with the sense of social pressure regarding the topic of death. A lot of people think I'm weird and depressed - although tellingly, a lot of others secretly confess that they share similar fascination. Given that we're aware of death at all times, I think it's understandable that humans have always been occupied with it, even if we have a modern facade to cover it up.

7. pit

pit Well-Known Member

I believe my obsession with death has made me live better, as I am a compassionate and passionate person and am careful to spend my time with those who enrich me. I no longer waste time with morons and asswipes.

8. Zurkhardo

I feel the same way. Life is more valuable when you come to grips with how frail it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.