'Fashion' advice needed... (covering cuts and scars)

Discussion in 'Self Harm & Substance Abuse' started by ThePhantomLady, Apr 9, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ThePhantomLady

ThePhantomLady Safety and Support SF Supporter

My arm is a horrible mess. nasty infected wounds, scars and fresher cuts. My SH has really gotten out of hand. It's no longer a case of covering up one cut and saying "Oh, I'm so clumsy, lol. I hit it on the side of the closet. I really should sand that thing down."

I am going to two events; this weekend my best friend is having a Doctor Who marathon weekend and I've really looked forward to it.

And in 3 weeks time there's a big family get-together.

It would be simple to put on a long sleeved top... but the thing is, both places are likely to get very hot... and I'm bad with heat.
    Before my SH got this bad again I've been wearing T-shirts... also in an effort to try to live with all the scars that will always be part of me... and I could tell people that I had been doing 'silly things as a teenager'... (I've been cutting since I was 13, but the truth is I have harmed myself since I was 5)

At my friends party I had a T-shirt picked out. (Doctor Who fan shirt)... I am trying to figure out if I can find the long sleeved fingerless gloves I have from college. I haven't worn those in years.

But the problem is... my friend also does SH. She knows all the tricks... and she's tried to help me stop from the time we met. She sees everything and I know she gets so sad... and so do I when I see her in the same situation. so... I need something clever.

CandleLight and Khvde like this.
  2. sunnypseudo

sunnypseudo Well-Known Member

Do you think you could pull off an Ace bandage? Or is it both arms? (BTW when you are feeling it bubble, please talk first. I check back here often, so feel free to send me a message.) If it's only forearms look for the solid arm glove/covers. Available at most goth shops. It's all I got, I'm sorry if it isn't helpful, but I understand not wanting to explain.

CandleLight and ThePhantomLady like this.
  3. ThePhantomLady

I'll look into those. I own a lot of those gloves, I wore them a lot in college... but it's been a while since I wore them... and I feel like my friend will know.
    That's my main concern... worrying her to be honest. She's got enough to deal with and she takes things a bit harder than others because of her mental illness.

I might look into bandages... its on my forearms. As you guessed, the left one

4. sunnypseudo

If its only the one, then a bandage should work. A sprain or pulled muscle should be a decent cover. Is this your best friend that you've talked about? I can understand not wanting to upset her as well. I'm sorry you have been going through so much lately. I hope you can relax a bit and enjoy yourself with her. You deserve some relaxation and unwind with someone you care about.

5. ThePhantomLady

It isn't just the one... my entire arm is covered in cuts and wounds, from my elbow to my wrist...

6. Petal

Petal SF dreamer Staff Alumni SF Supporter

Invest in bio oil and apply it twice a day, it has made my scars fade a bit :) My sister who is a make up artist advised me to use camouflage make-up. i haven't tried it because of the price but maybe it's something you can look into.

7. sunnypseudo

Wrap it all the way up, that was my desired spot as well until I had gotten caught when I was younger. Oh yeah, I forgot about make up. There was a product called cake I think that was supposed to thick enough to cover scars and even tattoos.

8. ThePhantomLady

I use Vitamin E salve on my old scars... but the problem is the fresh open wounds... no makeup would be able to cover that (plus it's really bad for the healing as well).

I'll find some of my old long fingerless gloves. I can still 'pull it off' with my style I guess.

9. sunnypseudo

For my own curiosity, is the therapist helping? When my brain gets too loud I do the same, but not my arms. I try to keep my nails short to stop from doing serious damage but that only helps one part of me and with enough pressure and mania I still manage without nails. It stops for a little while but anyways. I hope it is working, the therapist I mean. You're too beautiful a soul for you to be in so much pain.

ThePhantomLady likes this.
  10. ThePhantomLady

I started therapy 2 months ago, I think I've had 5 sessions... so we are still just starting to work on these things...
    But I have faith it is going to help... it has to. Every day I have to fill out a DBT 'report card' thing about my emotions and if I harmed myself or not, and how strong the urge was...

It has been hard work starting therapy though... I have never opened up about any of the abuse before... so yeah...

11. sunnypseudo

I'm glad you have so much faith. I just started therapy myself, one session in so far. If you can hold out then so can I. Thank you for sharing, reading what you write often helps, you have a great positivity for many people . It gives me hope.

CandleLight and ThePhantomLady like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.