Fasting to,

IMO, restore balance.

I won't ask 'what's eating you' because it's the symptomatology
of what you've been eating.

When you get tired of feeding your despair, anxiety, guilt, and
the overthinking and narrowing of your perspective, just FAST.

Look up fasting, see it's many benefits, give it a try it for a day
or two. You may find that things you've been trying to deal w/
dissipate of it's own weight.

Stop feeding the bad feelings, and starve them of their fuel.

P.S. I've been reading, a great way to distract you from your
own troubles.

Here's a great Buddhist saying I read;

In life pain is inevitable
but suffering is optional

I WAS WRONG!

I started fasting Monday and broke it today.

It was just adding to whatever imbalance, probably an over-alkalization, leading to INTENSE
anxiety and an awful feeling in my abdomen. (fasting alkalizes)

IF I'm right about the hyper-alkalosis, fasting has an alkalizing effect. (u need an acidic gut to
digest properly)

Any vegetation you eat, ESP. raw, has an alkalizing effect. AND needs to chewed VERY well.
Do you chew your carbs 50-100 times like you should? I doubt it. (need to chew that cud)

I've just started eating raw lettuce, thinking it's sedative effect, and according to 'experts'
anti-anxiety effect would be good, but other than feeling less energetic, and dreaming like
a MOFO, it didn't help much. It may have just been adding to the possible hyper-alkalosis.

So today, after driving around and doing things to distract myself from the dreadful feeling
emanating from my whole gut, I decided to break my fast, after 2 1/2 days. (7 days was goal)

Part off the reason was that I had some chicken thighs that would have gone bad, but I also
decided to eat JUST the meat in the hope that it would acidify me and relieve the bad gut.
(wish I didn't have the need to eat meat, to kill another animal, but I go with what works)

And you know what? It DID!

Now, it may be b/c meat doesn't need to be chew much at all, like carnivores do, (easier to
digest) or it was giving me some nutrient I badly needed like Zinc, Selenium, B-12 or some
amino acids that can only be gotten from meat. (check out the utter importance of those
first three nutrients which are harder to get from vegetation} It could even be neanderthal
genes that make you need to eat like a cat, a carnivore that's only healthy when eating meat.
(catmando) :)

Or the acidifying effect, I'm not sure. The why isn't important, it's the WHAT that's paramount.

And vegetation increases the imbalance, so after breaking my fast with dark chicken meat,
white has too many alkaline minerals/amino acids to acidify, I feel SO much better. (me cat)

So my advice to anyone dealing with feeling so antsy and anxious you what to get away from
it all, (I KNOW the feeling) try eating NOTHING but meat to see if the terrible gut feeling and
the hyper-restlessness subsides. It has for me!

Now, this got me thinking, some of the healthiest people cook vegetation VERY well. In soups
cooked all day or fried in oil, that's one way to lessen the need to chew REAL well, making the
nutrients more available. It softens the fiber which some say too much of is bad for you and it
would make it less alkalizing. (cooking deactives anti-nutrient factors in vegetation too)

I've been reading LOTS of self help books, and it's almost like they're written by over-alkalized
people for over-alkalized people. Lots of think good thoughts not bad mumbo jumbo, when
it's the imbalance causing the overthinking, and everything else, that's the REAL problem.

This even has philosophical implication, since hyper-alkalosis can lead to a spiritual awakening,
but NOT in a dog eat dog world. The hyper-sensitivity is great in silent solitude, not so much w/
all the muss and fuss of our modern society. (Buddhist suggest you become less sensitive, just
like any vegan would)

I should also mention our propensity to sit for long periods, and not in a good way, which could
be causing problems. Easterners don't lounge in a seat, stuffing food down their gullet as fast as
they can like Americans tend to. And eating lots of starches may be starching YOU, (by not eating it correctly) so your less pliable and viscous, which makes sitting for long periods incorrectly an even
worse proposition. (I'm experimenting with sitting less and not at all when I eat. the paleo way?)

To sum it up, I'm still think it's bad dietary habits that are at the root of your severe anxiousness
and very bad feelings leading to the strong desire to get away from it all, yourself included.

My advice would be don't discount that you've done this too yourself, what's eating you is what,
and how, you've been eating. {
[wait till chorus]}

I've decided one of the best strategies for restoring balance to your physiology,
which should do the same for your emotions, is watching your hydration levels.

IF you're alkaline, and you probably are IMO, over-hydrating just makes it that
much worse. Conversely, IF you're acidic, being well hydrated actually helps.

Eating a high protein diet acts as a diuretic, and leads to Ketosis which acidifies.
I would HIGHLY recommend you try a Keto diet, I function MUCH better running
on this fuel, as it burns fat instead of sugar.

In fact, hypoglycemia is treated with high protein intake, preventing a huge insulin
spike, which can lead to emotional problems. (it's leads to LOTS of other problems)

My fasting failed because on my second day I drank a quart of carbonated mineral
water, was a treat after fasting 2 days, but added hydration increasing the alkaline
effect of fasting. Next time I fast, I'll forgo all fluids to prevent any hyper-alkalosis.

IMO, just water fasting should help one's physiological balance, if it's alkalosis that
is the cause. (lye is very alkaline)

I've been drinking water in place any other fluids, since it's cheap and doesn't add any
calories, usually consuming a quart with each meal, and plenty the rest of the day, for
many years. I probably would have been better off drinking soda or coffee, which have
an acidifying and diuretic effect.

IF you're desperate to feel better, don't discount the possibility that over-hydration may
be making you worse. See if being less hydrated helps, I bet it will. (I always feel better
after sweating a lot, reducing my hydration)

It's a tough habit to break, constantly hydrating yourself, but it may be well worth the effort.
Try it for a day or 2 and see if it is. Being a little thirsty could make you feel much better.

I hydrated with a little pure water this morning
and started feeling bad in the gut and head.

I'm not sure what to make of it. Drinking some soda
actually helped, so it's plain water that's sets me off.

I also read 'The Paleo Diet' and highly recommend
anyone read it. Full of LOTS of useful information,
well worth the read IMO. (and to try as a diet plan)

It's a high protein diet, and there's plenty of good
reasons to follow it.

Anyways, see if YOU feel better avoiding drinking
plain water like me. I'm not sure why, but the what
IS the important part.

On a personal note; I was riding my bike yesterday
and out of nowhere vividly remember when I first
learned to ride as a kid. Finally getting the balance
to stay up was an incredible experience. (with the
freedom and ease to get around for that young)

I realized that's why I like to bicycle, takes me back
to when I was Zen, just living in the moment.

It's my contention that there's a physiological imbalance, possibly related
to bad dietary habits, that alters the perception and leads to a hyper-state
of over thinking and negative feelings.

I find foods containing sodium phosphate tends to correct this imbalance.

It could be correcting a phosphorous deficiency, or correcting a pH that's
too low or high. (too alkaline would be my guess, it can over stimulate

Sodium phosphate is used in food products for it's ability to stop food from
becoming to acid or alkaline.

See if these phosphate enriched foods help you as they do me.

Velveteen Bunny

I did a liquid fast for two days last weekend, and I was pretty amazed that I could do it. I hadn't been able to before. The way I did it was I stopped eating anything that was a snack type carb, and every day reduced my food intake until I was comfortable going without the food. My liquids were: green mint tea, cinnamon spice tea, and hot chocolate with whole milk.

For Keto and fasting, I like Dr. Eric Berg and Dr. Jason Fung. I could listen to Dr. Berg all day, and sometimes do. He has a very pleasant voice and great information.

I did a liquid fast for two days last weekend, and I was pretty amazed that I could do it. I hadn't been able to before. The way I did it was I stopped eating anything that was a snack type carb, and every day reduced my food intake until I was comfortable going without the food. My liquids were: green mint tea, cinnamon spice tea, and hot chocolate with whole milk.
According to The Paleo Diet, high intake of carbs, especially the starchy kind, is when the
trouble really starts. (screws up digestion and nutritional absorption)

And I found just fasting on plain water didn't work for me, so bravo using other liquids to.

For Keto and fasting, I like Dr. Eric Berg and Dr. Jason Fung. I could listen to Dr. Berg all day, and sometimes do. He has a very pleasant voice and great information.
The Keto Diet is very similar to the Paleo Diet, putting you into a state of ketosis.

IF hyper-alkalosis (and or over-oxidation) is at the root of the problem, the diet can mitigate that.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/what-is-ketosis#Ketosis-is-not-the-same-as-ketoacidosis

I'll check out Dr. Eric Berg and Dr. Jason Fung online.

foreverforgotten

Quiet Observer 🦋
SF Supporter
I have tried the intermittent fasting method. And regular fasting. For me it exacerbates my ED a lot. Its just plain misery... I don't do it anymore. If its not sustainable long term (same applies to diets) it ain't worth it... I tried Keto a while. it jacked up my cholesterol and lipids. Everyone's different though. Just be careful...

Drinking pure water can sour my stomach as well. I don't know why. Anything sweet seems to help, even diluted orange juice.
I hear you. It's hard to accept that just plain water would be a problem, but in some way
it's contributing to what is IMO a hyper-alkalosis. (water can increase alkalinity)

I come to conclusion that it has to do with a phosphorus deficiency.
(phosphorous is VERY water soluble)

I'd be willing to bet that most here are constipated, which can be a symptom of it.
(and bloating, digestive insufficiency)

I'm ordering this supplement to see if it helps;
https://www.amazon.com/TriSodium-Phosphate-Anhydrous-TSP-Granular/dp/B01N0FEAQK/

This is used medicinally to clear out the digestive tract,and as a sports supplement.
It can also treat an overly alkaline (and acidic) physiology.

Certain foods always made me feel better, though I didn't figure it out till recently.
(nacho chips is one) https://www.healthline.com/health/sodium-phosphate#uses-in-food

You can also try eating foods rich in phosphorus too/instead.

Low fat dairy; like yogurt, skim/dry milk, romano cheese are. Chicken liver as well.

There are vegetable sources, but thanks to phytic acid, they can be hard to absorb.
https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/foods-high-in-phosphorus#TOC_TITLE_HDR_5

P.S. Whole Foods has a calming formula on sale that I'm trying for anxiety.

It has a bunch of the herbs with a calming effect. Might be worth a try.

Here are some amazon reviews on it;
https://www.amazon.com/Gaia-Herbs-Vegan-Liquid-Capsules/product-reviews/B07H2QFMNR

I have tried the intermittent fasting method. And regular fasting. For me it exacerbates my ED a lot. Its just plain misery... I don't do it anymore. If its not sustainable long term (same applies to diets) it ain't worth it.
Fasting makes you more alkaline, which may be the problem to begin with.

An ED? I ASSume that's not Erectile Disfunction. *nerves

LOSTINSIGHT

Physical= tension/tight muscles in back and shoulders /kneck. All body fatigue ,brain fatigue ,intolerance to cold, body unable to regulate temperature.my dr is giving me the run around trying to get a diagnosis of ms or me .
Mental and emotional health in tatters.
Kudos on the diet/nutrition research ,,have done alot myself but I struggle to retain info.
I've done an organics acid test and stool test in the last 8 months ,,found out i dont have the bacteria to break down oxilates.
Look up the organics acid testing ,,very interesting.
Cheers.

.. I tried Keto a while. it jacked up my cholesterol and lipids. Everyone's different though. Just be careful...
Well, Keto and Paleo tend to do that since you're burning fat instead of sugar, a supposedly
good thing, fat being a fuel that doesn't raise insulin which might be bad thing. (especially
IF you're dealing severe hypoglycemia) Paleo limits fats, not sure about Keto.

And high cholesterol, could be considered a good thing, compared to low cholesterol.

"researchers are concerned about how low cholesterol appears to negatively affect mental health"

Physical= tension/tight muscles in back and shoulders /kneck. All body fatigue ,brain fatigue ,intolerance to cold, body unable to regulate temperature.my dr is giving me the run around trying to get a diagnosis of ms or me .
Mental and emotional health in tatters.
How are your digestion?

Any bloating, slow emptying of stomach, constipation?

Kudos on the diet/nutrition research ,,have done alot myself but I struggle to retain info.
I've done an organics acid test and stool test in the last 8 months ,,found out i dont have the bacteria to break down oxilates. Look up the organics acid testing ,,very interesting.
Cheers.

The reason I feel it's an over-alkaline condition is b/c I haven't seen a dentist in over 30 years
and I still have all my own teeth! And I'm glad I've passed on the radiation, fluoridation,
amalgamation. Even the nitrous gas some dentists use can lead to a severe B-12 deficiency.

IF I was in an acidic state, my teeth would have decayed years ago.

I've heard candida likes an acidic environment, but have recently read that's wrong and it's an
alkaline environment that feeds an overgrowth of yeast and fungus.

I've tried ALL kinds of supplementation to try and treat whatever the heck
this condition is and it's cause.

The latest being Alfalfa capsules, though it's said to be very alkalizing, and
I've paid the price from taking it by making this condition worse.

Then I tried Gaia's 'Calm A.S.A.P.' formula with lots of calming herbs, which
mellowed my anxiousness, but then fouled my stomach/zapped my energy.
(probably from being alkalizing, as most herbs are)

It's fine to be alkaline as long as you are able to acidify to complete the cycle
of oxidation and de-oxidation. But this condition seems to prevent that. So
any alkalizing just makes things worse.

I HAVE to laugh when I hear health 'experts' talk about keeping yourself in an
alkaline state since MOST foods do just that. (plain water does too) You can
even just take some Sodium Bicarbonate to do that.

Here's what I eat to counter that; Corn Chips, Dairy, and other plain/processed
foods that are high in Phosphorous and acidify. Pork Rinds, Gelatin and Romano
Cheese are the latest ones I'm trying along with a Sodium Phosphate supplement.
Romano and Corn Chips taste great together, Romano being VERY high in Phos.
(make sure to get the dry cheese without cellulose)

See IF eating these acidifying foods helps your condition/state of mind as well.
(drink only acidifying liquids too)

I'm also going to try water kept in a cooper vessel/cup since I've been drinking
water out of plastic jugs/bottles lately, and that may be causing problems too.
(I'll try anything at this point)

The fact that just drinking plain water makes things worse has the 'experts'
flummoxed, the same ones that push alkalization all the time. The Holistic
experts will tell you not to be too much alkaline or acidic.

Being slightly alkaline will make you resistant to illness, I'm proof of that
having not been sick in many years, but being too alkaline, and not being
able to acidify from it, MAY lead to what we're all dealing with, IMO.

Hope this helps.

P.S. Someone here is dealing with severe stomach bloating and the doctor
wasn't sure what to do for it.

I'm surprised they didn't suggest Sodium Phosphate as that used to clear out
the digestive tract, before it's operated on.

Last edited:
Well, I think I've figured the basic imbalance that leads to our dysfunction.

When you're dealing with any problem, it's best to take a step back and look at it
from a holistic view, instead of trying to work out the devilish details.

And I believe I have.

What it very well may be is too much cell stability and not enough growth.

This would affect many parts of the body, especially those that grow the fastest.

These include the stomach lining, and probably the whole digestive tract. Also the liver
which makes most of the cholesterol in the body. (dietary cholesterol adds just a little)

Now, IF this is so, it's explains more than a few things, like phosphorus and acidity, just
2 of many components needed for cell growth.

It even explains why cold foods and fluids makes this imbalance worse, as heat increases
growth, cold decreases it.

It also explains why white chicken worsens it but dark meat helps. The white meat has nutrients
like Calcium and Lysine, that deters cell growth. I would be willing to bet the dark meat contains
nutrients that enhance it.

I've just started eating foods rich in growth nutrients and avoiding foods that are rich in nutrients
that aid cell stability, for lack of a better word. (too stable leads to unstable)

My Brother drinks lots of hot coffee, which should be good for aiding cell growth with it's acidity
and heat and growth promoting nutrients, like arginine and phosphorus, and he tends to be a very
jovial person, unlike me and you.

So, see if this might work for you. Avoid foods rich in nutrients that inhibit cell growth, and eat ones
that support it, and you may find, IF I'm right, that along with enhancing your cell growth it very well
may enhance your chance of feeling better. (by correcting this basic cell growth imbalance)

P.S. Avoiding cold food and fluids may be best, as it might possibly deter cell growth too.

ED = Eating Disorder
Many people that struggle with eating disorders find fasting or the idea of fasting to be a huge trigger for them.
Fasting is a tough road to hoe and not to be taken lightly.

Supposedly it's a great healer but not necessarily the thing to do for our disorder.
(so try it CAREFULLY if you do)

I'm still convince what's eating us is from what we've been eating, IF it's causing an
imbalance as I believe.

Eating mostly Lysine rich foods can lead to an Arginine deficiency which causes ammonia
to build up in the body.

" One important function of arginine is removing ammonia, which is extremely toxic to the
central nervous system. " https://www.webmd.com/diet/top-foods-high-in-arginine#1

Let me end this by saying that this is mostly conjecture and speculation on my part. Whether any of
it is even close to being valid and true, I'll leave to you.

Nick

☆☆Admin-tastic ☆☆
Safety & Support
SF Social Media
SF Artist
SF Supporter
I personally have to stay away from fasting. I've struggled with anorexia, and any type of fasting can cause me to go mentally downhill extremely fast. I would hazard a guess that's true for most people who have struggled with eating disorders. Extreme diets tend to have the same effect. I end up in a downward spiral, and it fuels self hate.

I'm far better off seeking a balanced diet, and trying to make healthier lifestyle choices while trying not to obsess over it. It's a strange balancing act for me.

I'm sure fasting and the dietary extremes work for some, but it's not a one size fits all.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00