Fasting...

Discussion in 'Self Care and Healthy Lifestyles' started by ThoseEmptyWalls, Jul 25, 2008.

1. ThoseEmptyWalls

ThoseEmptyWalls Well-Known Member

I saw one other fasting thread but wanted to start another one more tailored to my questions.. Has anyone here done a short term fast? I was wondering what its like (I tried once for about a week and lost a lot of weight but didnt eat right afterwords and gained it all back).. Did you keep off the weight you lost? Is fasting a good idea to loose weight? Did you have any dangerous or long term side effects? Basically..Is fasting a good idea or a bad one..Id love to hear your experiences and ideas.

2. fromthatshow

fromthatshow Staff Alumni

3. ThoseEmptyWalls

I have been reading about it a lot today..The benefits sound great but I dont think I could handle it :tongue: I wrote a friend in Japan who does it annually to ask her for more information..She doesnt fully fast she eats a bit but has a process so I thought id ask her.

4. moonwolf

moonwolf New Member

Fasting is not a shortcut to happiness...if anything..it will deplete the body of essential vtamins and minerals and then confuse the metabolism. Lack of B vitamins and mineral salts can make you bonkers...without any other outside presures.

I do advocate a once a week fruit fast....where you eat nothing but fruit for 24-48 hours....plus drink water.

Many many moons ago I went on a fast...as I was into yoga and thought it would be cleansing. I ate nothing for 33 days. But I went to the country...did meditation several times a day and focused on healing breathing. I did no exercise other than gentle holistic walks in beauty.
    Even so...I would not recommend anything that radical for anyone. I look back and wonder that I'm still alive afer some of the kooky things I've tried tro find myself.

It takes about 4 days then hunger disappears...and you get a high from the lack of food. The time to start eating again is when the appetite comes back naturally.
    Please understand that I did this with supervision from my yogi and from my dr and looking back..i still think it was stupid.

Far better to join a serios maritial arts class and start stimulating both the left and right hemesphire of the brain.

good luck with whatever you do...please do not be reckless enough to go on a dangerous longterm fast..unsupervised by your doctor.

5. moonwolf

moonwolf New Member

oh..and no...it;s not a good way to loose weight. I puts your metabolism into startvation mode..which means it begins to store fats and carbs for future times of starvation.

For weight loss..the body...the metabolism needs to know it will get regular nutrition. So Stick to fruit, salad, vegies, nuts, seeds and tofu.

At most..you could do a fruit fast for 24 hrs once a week. And always drink plenty of water.

you could also take calcium and magnisium. Fat attaches to calcium and is flushed from the body...magnesium stop the calcium from causing constipaton.

Perhaps you could find a good dietician who can advice you on which healing foods you need

6. ThoseEmptyWalls

Thanks moonwolf ... I really need to find a way to loose some weight without half killing myself. I have two friends on another site who fasted and did loose tons of weight so I assumed it was a good way to drop those pounds. One girl done a bread and water fast (or so I gather from her posts on that forum) and lost the weight easily. The other girl was drinking water and I think that was it. I remember being worried she was getting a ED because she said after the fast ended she was so bad off she couldnt even eat yogurt without forcing herself... Thats a problem for me though, eating 100% right - I hate a lot of veggies. I dont like lettuce, I dont like tomatoes, I dont like peppers, I hate raw onions..Id love to eat more salads but Im so picky..I cant eat them without dressings and a certain kind of lettuce (which I still dont like but its more tolerable then the other kinds).. I do like fruits just they cost so much and Im on a tight budget and have to feed a picky 3 year old too..I guess thats why Im fat - to much mac n cheese, lol (jk havent ate that stuff in ages but I do love pasta)..