Fatal

Discussion in 'Mental Health Disorders' started by Ranxerox, Jan 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ranxerox

Ranxerox Well-Known Member

Can loneliness kill you? I dont mean indirectly, such as being a driving force behind suicide. I mean is it possible, that you are so desperately lonely, so alienated and unconnected to other human beings, that your mind and body start to decay, until one day, you just lose the will to live on a biological level, and your heart fails or something similar. Ive heard that mental health affects physical health, so its possible i guess? I feel that my loneliness could be doing this, being alone for so long has to have some physical side effects. Anyone?

2. sickjk

sickjk Member

I can relate to what you say. The loneliness is often so powerful that i feel as if i'm rotting away.

3. yorkie bar

yorkie bar Well-Known Member

I can relate to what you say too. I also think few people know what its like to really be on their own .Most people have someone living 'at home', someone they can ring and talk to. It just is'nt the same ringing the samaritans . You can't build a relationship with some one who actually knows you. Thats what is missing in soceity today. People don't have the time or real inclination for others. And yes, i do think it can have an adverse effect on your health.

yorkie

4. Little_me

Little_me Well-Known Member

I've heard about something similar among tortured animals.

5. Neverhappyalwayssad

Neverhappyalwayssad Well-Known Member

Yea being lonely have been seen to have an increased towards certain disease. Heart disease is one http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2002/05/020524074023.htm, theres been a few more studies done.

This may just be because of actions most people who are lonely do. These studies don't show causation they just show correlation.

6. Vangelis

Vangelis Well-Known Member

Yeah internal loneliness can have a taxing effect on cardiac output. When you feel so alone and hurting that your chest hurts or your breathing slows. I always have a dull ache in my chest and I'm a young guy and I'm not fat at all, eat somewhat good, and maintain some activity in life, but man I'm lonely a lot, and loneliness will prolly kill me one day.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.