Father is suicidal, strong acts shown tonight

Discussion in 'Help Me! I Need to Talk to Someone.' started by spoobs, Dec 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. spoobs

spoobs New Member

im 19 yrs old living with parents and attending college, my parents have been fighting. Tonight they got into a big ongoing fight. My father is very very suicidal and tonight about 30 minutes ago i caught him trying to grab my gun out of my closet when i was sleeping. Hes been drinking a lot, is slurring his speech.

I asked him what he was doing he said he "wanted to clean a gun" ofcourse i called bulshit off the bat and then he said he was very suicidal. I later then removed most accessible guns from other locations of the house but have no safe place to put them.

He came into my room, and then tried denying that he ever confided in me about suicide, then pretty much started egging me on. he said "you couldnt stop me if you wanted too".

i dont know what to do, do I call the cops? if not, what do i do tomarrow? I have to attend school and he will be home alone from about 7AM to 12 if he chooses to attend work himself.... This is a very stressful situation and i cannot think properly.
  2. molotov

molotov Well-Known Member

hi spoobs,

call a crisis center or a suicide hotline or good samaritans ASAP! they take calls from friends and relatives as well, they can talk you through this.

keep us posted!
  3. max0718

max0718 Well-Known Member

Hey spoobs,

I've been there and believe me the worst thing you can do is nothing. As Molotov said, a suicide hotline can help you with what you need to do at this point. You have to get someone to intervene because in all likelihood your father isn't going to listen to you. He needs your help, he just doesn't know it right now.

Good on you for taking away all the guns - try to store them at a friends house temporarily if you can.

Keep us posted on what you plan to do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.