Faux Illness

Discussion in 'Soap Box' started by Lovecraft, Dec 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lovecraft

Lovecraft Well-Known Member

Code:
    DISCLAIMER: Blah blah blah yes,OCD is an illness for real and all, I'm talking about 'that guy', not all persons that are diagnosed, by them self or a doctor, as being subject to a mental illness.
    Anyone else ever think that there are far too many people hopping on the excuse bandwagon of mental illness? Sure, if you have OCD and honestly can't stand leaving the house before tapping the stove three times and counting the banisters on the stairs because if you do you'll have a panic attack I can handle you being a bit late, but just because you're an organized person DOES NOT mean you're OCD and I find it both telling of your ignorance of OCD and your own desire to be excused rather than discipline yourself and furthermore I think it demeans the hardship of people that really do have the illness.

Of course there's some people in between, when in hospital I knew someone with a legitimate case of OCD but he decided that it was a blanket excuse to get him out of any form of discipline.

Similar analogues exist for depression of course; people that are all too happy to tell you about how they're hard done by and a depressed person by on quick inspection lack the definitive criteria of mental illness.

2. sunshinesblack

sunshinesblack Well-Known Member

yah I think people tend to do that
    I think am guilty myself of it, but because it is easier to accept and seams more treatable than other life issues im stuck with. Being poor, not particularly bright and to ugly to date does not live much hope.

3. bhawk

bhawk Well-Known Member

this reminds me of seeing a psychiatrist on tv once who was explaining her fear of society coming to think of "unhappiness" as an illness to be treated.
    Not depression, but simply unhappiness which like what you explained is often an over-used term, i have many times heard people claim they were "depressed" over a menial social situation which would cause slight unhappiness at most.

4. sunshinesblack

yah, well some things can make for very prolonged sadness and distress, so it looks like depression and i dont think its far ...but its just not depression, in my native language the term depression is also used colloquially like "that thing is really depressing me" but you know its just circumstantial and not a mental illness and in it will dissapear when the problem solves.

Also am pretty sure incapacity of being happy is a crime, its batter you have some mental illness people promote understanding for that a lot more lol, also you get patted on the head and told its not serious its just all in your head , kinda cool

Reminds me of a scene in Mozart and the Whale (movie). Its about autistic people and a guy whom is tring to make a support group for people like him and meet hes soulamate, on of the characters there says about himself at a point, hes not autistic its just that everyone dislikes him so he rather hang around there lol

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 24, 2010
  5. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

The one I see on the internet a lot is Asperger's Syndrome. It's at the point where I'm immediately skeptical if someone online tells me they're on the autistic spectrum, although I understand that there are some totally legit cases out there. But real-life autism is not just Hypersensitive Misunderstood Genius Disorder, as some people seem to believe.

6. houseofcards

houseofcards Well-Known Member

In public school I remember there was this one girl that was an overachiever, popular, blablabla. She was always being a bitch to the teacher because he wouldn't staple papers the same way and the staples wouldn't line up when stacked. She was like " Haha I'm having an OCD moment, sorry" but I kinda think
    "Nah, you're just being a perfectionist/neatfreak" If it bugs you because it's unappealing, thats one thing, but when I think of OCD I think of you NEEDING to do something because if you don't, you'll get anxious and feelings like something bad will happen/someone will die/world will end/etc. It might be just because she was miseducated and used the stereotypical alphabetical order/everything aligned/step on no cracks thing as an excuse, but idk. My list of things wrong with me is extensive and the only thing I can use as an excuse (I am diagnosed, not making it up) is the schizophrenia portion, because honestly, it IS a good excuse to not leave the house since I see guys congregating outside of my house and have voices telling me bad things will happen. But I don't use that reason as an excuse for being late going places, being a slob, or smelling like a dead animal. If they have piles of excuses for why they're not doing something, they need more help than they're getting.

7. sunshinesblack

I have a feeling people that tend to go on the neurotic side (as opposed to schizophrenia, psychosis and so on) tend to to do this and whitest they may not have the particular issues they do have issues. Like in bdd or hypochondria.

Also about the over achiever, perfectionist/neatfreak is ocd tendencies actually

8. houseofcards

I probably chose the wrong words - but what I was trying to get at was that it only bugged her because of the aesthetic reasons/because it was ugly/because it didn't match all of the other papers. She showed no other problems other than the paper stack and didn't look the least bit anxious, if anything, said it with a smile on her face. I don't know about you, but I can't take that kind of stuff seriously. To me, it's sort of like someone that just fell down the stairs and claim they broke their legs while smiling and going on with their regular activities later on in the day - it seems fake. OCD is having thoughts/fears about things that lead to you to do repetitive things to negate it. In her case, if she had OCD, the only repetitive thing she did was tell the teacher he did it wrong and be a total bitch about it. I felt as if the pans and pots my mom used to cook my food were contaminated - in effect to that, I would have to rinse all of my food under the sink first with hot water.
    Being a neat freak, perfectionist and overachiever doesn't always count as being an obsessive-compulsive issue. You can have a clean house that is completely barren of fingerprints - but you can do it for aesthetics, like her. Maybe you feel like you HAVE to, but that's not her case. She is THAT certain person that just HAS to blame it on OCD. I'm an overachiever, but I don't think of it as an "OCD tendency" - I just think of it as having a reason to get good grades - If I get less than an A-, colleges can use it against me. I'll do extra credit or anything I can to insure that won't happen to me.

Summing it up: I think in order to say you have OCD, you need to have the distress part somewhere in there. You may ritually wash your hands, check under your bed, step on green tiles only, etc. etc., but you need to have the Obsessive and Compulsive part in there to actually say you have it. Obsessions create anxiety, which create compulsions. If there aren't those two bits in there, they have no right to laugh about it and be like "haha its ocd, sorry." OCD is a disorder. Not an excuse to back up why you're being late to work, being a bitch, annoying someone, etc.

I think what I typed might have sounded mean but i'm just trying to get my point out since I don't think you necessarily know what I intended to say. No mean-ness at all.

9. sunshinesblack

yah i get what you mean, (but cut my post short to not make it endless :p)
    I dotn really know the person and all the context there, was not a jugment on the particular case you where talkign about just an observation on the word thing and some doubt I think is healthy to keep
    I think some do use it as a funny excuse, yes maybe she did not take it serious herself, rater sugar coated her unpleasant behavior to not say overtly offensive stuff to the teacher

but I have my doubts on the extreme distress thing
    so yah i guess most do, ......but
    maybe am wrong, i feel some people overpass minor stuff that actually is not all k but since its not extremely bothersome/still discussable it only goes as being a tendency/personality trait, however in stressful situations it gets even more accentuated and pretty much turns to illness. Some people are just not prone to depression for example, they will first go aggressive, psychotic but depression is last that hits them in extreme life situations, whilst others as i stated earlier throw the word easily and because life brings them a lot of times close and are actually at risk of it.
    personal experience here, with family and quite stressed i might be the same that's why am so stuck to it. There is a lot of subjectivity even in serious diagnosis and more easy stuff just goes as uncountable but well its there.....

Like its east to say x person is just a neat freak, wants only flawless stuff around, does it for security, and while these may be very well true, SOMETIMES the nuance of "cant get out of the behavior and its bad for me" pops up along with them.

10. morning rush

morning rush Well-Known Member

I think that the saddest of them all are the ones that are sick but don't think they are...my grandma has OCD to the highest level and doesn't think she's ill, she has gloves to go to the bathroom, to wipe her butt, she has to splash the turning knobs of the sink a certain amount of time before washing her hands and other stuff...she hasn't gone out of her house in like almost a year...she washes only one part of the table and refuses us to clean the rest...she has gloves for everything and she refuses meat because of the bacteria...she is dificult to live with but she is miserable as well...yet she refuses the help...we think she has other illnesses but yeah...it is a hard condition to have and if not treated it gets worse and worse...

its a shame that some use this or makes it as though its nothing...its pure torture to both the person and his/her surroundings...

i dunno that's my thought

11. sunshinesblack

yah mental illness is not that easy to spot as people like to think
    it used to be sayed that the fact one never questions oneself is the best sign of madness, sure if the person is old that ads to the lack of questioning but if adult people they just blame it on other stuff like they have an issues but its the neighbor or their hipper sensitivity.....or pretty much anything else than the actual problem

12. Kaos General

Kaos General Well-Known Member

I think i might have OCD, everytime i see justing bieber i have to punch him 33 times amd then kick him in the nuts 33 times

13. houseofcards

I feel that way too, but I can't do the nut kicking since he has none. :mellow:

14. Mortal Moon

Mortal Moon Well-Known Member

/thread

15. bluegrey

bluegrey Antiquities Friend

I have OCD. I have an overused pocket spray bottle of alcohol, I constantly take batteries out of radios and flashlights to test them, I can't be in a car or sleep in a room unless I've tested it with a carbon monoxide detector, I shower or use antibacterial wipes excessively- it goes on and on. This disorder is incredibly paralyzing and though I can be out with friends or doing a home improvement project all day this disorder leaves my nerves threadbare at the end of the day.

I have read long lists of celebrities who claim to have OCD but IMO they simply could not have a true clinically diagnosable case and still function at the levels they do in their fields.

16. Zurkhardo

Zurkhardo Well-Known Member

I feel the exact same way Lovecraft, especially with respect to ADD and it's derivatives. To me, this is one of the most over-diagnosed and spurious disorders to date (though I don't doubt there are some genuine cases). A child being disorderly, undisciplined, rebellious, and unfocused? There was a time when immaturity was seen as typical of, you know, still-maturing children. Now we've conflated what were typical "symptoms" of childhood with a mental disease that leaves them feeling hopeless about improving their prospects. It creates a dangerous sense of helplessness that leads to a life of developmental stagnation.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.