Fave books

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I'm a big book lover, although I admit I don't actually get around to reading much 'cause it can be hard to concentrate. Regardless, I am always curious to know what books others recommend and eager to add to my already super-long list of books to read. So yes, please share away. You can always come back and post more if you read something new you like, or recall something you forgot initially.

Two of my personal faves are:

Catcher in the Rye &
Flowers for Algernon

I will definitely add more later.

Mr Stewart

when depression settles in like an oppressively moist, dark, and sweaty cloud of unpleasantness during a blackout with no functioning air conditioners for miles, I lose interest in just about everything... except books.

favity fave of the last year:

Cryptonomicon by Neal Stephenson

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Jane Austen's Pride and Predujice
Sense and Sensibility
Persuasion

Anything by Stephen Donaldson, but especially The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant

Emile Zola's Therese Raquin

Could go on, but we could be here all day :laugh:

AxiomUltimatum

I'm a total fantasy freak so any of Terry Pratchetts books especially the ever growing discworld series.

Just finished a great series by karen miller. The godspeaker series. I tried starting the King maker/King breaker series but couldn't get into it.

If it's not fantasy, it tends to be psychology/medical/physics etc....

I'm reading a very interesting book atm about the quieter borderline personality. Its called psychotherapy of the quiet borderline patient by Sherwood Cohen.

The classics are great but I can never read a book twice for some reason and the classics tend to not have sequels coming out next year lol.

(Also love my anime collection)

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
I could give a full list but that would be a lot... :D but I'll give you a few....

Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins

The Hunger Games Trilogy (The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, Mockingjay) by Suzanne Collins

i just read tiger, tiger. about a girl's 15 year relationship with a pedophile, starting from when she was 8. it's a memoir, a true story. it's a bit intense, but very very good.

i always loved anne rice's interview with a vampire series. i re-read them every few years.

two excellent non fiction books are

gavin de becker the gift of fear

steven pressfield the war of art

I can't believe I forgot books by Irvin D. Yalom... I love his stuff...

There's:

When Nietzsche Wept
Lying on the Couch
The Schopenhauer Cure
Momma and the Meaning of Life &
Love's Executioner

Um, off the top of my head...The Sound and the Fury, Lolita, 1984.

Edit: actually, I should say most stuff by Faulkner, Nabokov, Camus, Beckett, McCarthy, Delillo. I also like the work of a less well known writer (in comparison) called Ha Jin. :3

Last edited by a moderator:
The Millennium Series (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest) by Stieg Larsson

Daddy's Little Girl by Mary Higgins Clark

Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard

Harry Potter series

Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan

And all of Sarah Dessen's books.

ZombiePringle

Forum Buddy and Antiquities Friend
The Millennium Series (Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, The Girl Who Played With Fire, The Girl who Kicked The Hornets Nest) by Stieg Larsson

Daddy's Little Girl by Mary Higgins Clark

Pretty Little Liars series by Sara Shepard

Harry Potter series

Cirque Du Freak series by Darren Shan

And all of Sarah Dessen's books.
I just started reading the girl with the dragon tattoo not too long ago and its pretty good.

Growing Pains

I haven't done much reading lately because I just haven't felt like it... but I do love reading and have a massive collection. So, instead of giving a long list:
The Harry Potter series
Most books by Stephen King
the original V.C. Andrews' work
Marley & Me
... books about dogs. Yes, by that I mean "educational" ones.
and the Chicken Soup books

Acy

Mama Bear - TLC, Common Sense
Admin
SF Supporter
by Janette Turner Hospital
Borderline
Charades
The Last Musician
Due Preparation for the Plague
Oyster

by Richard Powers
The Gold Bug Variations
Plowing the Dark

by Cormac McCarthy
The Road

by Truman Capote
Breakfast at Tiffany’s
Other Voices, Other Rooms
and various short stories

by Barbara Kingsolver
Animal Dreams
Pigs in Heaven
The Poisonwood Bible

by Douglas Coupland
Generation X
Microserfs
Life After God
jPod
The Gum Thief

by Timothy Findley
Headhunter
Not Wanted on the Voyage

by Emily Dickinson
Final Harvest (poetry)

by Walt Whitman
Leaves of Grass (poetry)

by Leonard Cohen
Stranger Music (poetry)

Stripe

Matthew Reilly - Temple
This is the first book of MR's I ever read. Now I own all of his books. Strongly recommend this one. Oh, and on his web site he publishes his short storys for free. Worth checking out.

Stephen King - Duma Key
Probably not the best book hes written but something about it seems to compleatly take me away from reality and put me beside the main character, walking along a beach in Florida in the sunshine.

Robert Rankin - The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse
RR is very hit and miss with his books with them either being an incredable and hilarious experiance or being damn right dull. This book is a shining example of hilarity.

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency
This short book is better than the Hitchhikers Guide books and should be made in to a classic. Genius.

Ok, I think this is enough for now.

Terry

Antiquities Friend
Staff Alumni
Bernice Rueben's : Sunday Best, I Sent a Letter to my Love and Our Father.....priceless!

You will scream with laughter one moment and cry the next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Please Donate to Help Keep SF Running

Total amount
$70.00
Goal
$255.00